New single in September?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds great to me, and with Eno and company on board it would bring in yet another era in their sound, although to really mix it up someone else would be needed, maybe Rick Rubin?

Lancemc said:

While whether or not "In Through the Out Door" is a great album if pretty subjective, I think you're overrating their creativity a bit too much. Yes, III was acoustic, and Houses of the Holy featured some fantastic rhythms and such, but all their albums still carried the same sound to a much greater degree than the other great classic bands. I mean, The Ocean could have been on II, and Dancing Days or Custard Pie could have just as easily been on IV. The Eastern influences were new for them, but once they started appears on more and more of their albums they too became redundant.

As for the synth stuff, that mostly came about in the later albums, which I don't like to even think about. In my opinion, their work after PG is just dreck. Maybe better than most of the boring classic rock bloating the radio today, they just dont' hold up to Zep's incredibly high standard.

I'm a pretty big Zeppelin fan who agrees with a lot of this. Every time I hear All My Love, I think John Bonham may have made a smart career move (ironically he was the one who still seemed to have some musical gas left in him). Zeppelin would have been TERRIBLE in the 80's. Pete Townshend, for example, was much, much better at anticipating and integrating newer sounds into his classic writing and playing.

Having said that, my favorite LZ album is Physical Graffiti, and I actually like a great deal of Presence. But there's nothing much that's new to Zep on the latter, despite the majesty of something like Achilles' Last Stand. And while In Through The Out Door has a couple great songs (Fool in the Rain WAS new territory for the band), it's rather a dud of an album when you put it next to any of their other releases.

powerhour24 said:
Sounds great to me, and with Eno and company on board it would bring in yet another era in their sound, although to really mix it up someone else would be needed, maybe Rick Rubin?
Howie B back on board from the POP album. :wink:

Is there someone here who still has the 18 minutes beach clip?

I can't find it anywhere anymore. Please PM me if you have it!

schnumi said:
Is there someone here who still has the 18 minutes beach clip?

I can't find it anywhere anymore. Please PM me if you have it!

Beach Clips 2006, Eze-Sur-Mer, France
http://www.s-a-v-e-f-i-l-e.com/projects/923039

A collection of this year's beach clips with Strokes' and Lanois' songs to compare with and a short mix to compare the similarity of All My Life and Walk On.

Delete the dashes in the s-word and copy paste to view link.

Time to get someone else new in. People complain about wanting something new and fresh and you all want to go back to a AB era with AB producers.

Give me Rubin or give me death.

vaz02 said:
Time to get someone else new in. People complain about wanting something new and fresh and you all want to go back to a AB era with AB producers.

Give me Rubin or give me death.

:yes: (minus the death part :uhoh: )

Let's see if we can get this thread closed. It seems like all the others are getting closed.

the tourist said:
Let's see if we can get this thread closed. It seems like all the others are getting closed.

How about people try being nice and respectful towards each other so that threads can stay open?

AC/DC prepaired it the same way about 20 times straight and people are still listening to them, in just as many numbers as U2 in most countries.

U2 made 3 very simular albums in the 90s as far as influence goes but nobody seems to complain about that.

Made 3 very simular albums in the 80s....the first 3, nobody complains about those either.....

Honestly I dont think their is much of an arguement here U2 have always worked this way and honestly it doesnt matter unless you are listening to the album every day or every 2 days. U2 have provided us as fans with pretty much the most variety in the music as any band in history has attempted to try yet people still like to complain, guess they wont ever satisfy all of you.

Personally I think if you arent liking the music now you should talk to the producers of these albums, Eno and Lanios, they are the ones that are supposed to push the band into doing something they arent necessarly comfortable with. I also think it has to do a lot with Paul Maguiness wanting U2 to go out with a bang and not fading into obscurity.

I think there will only be 2 more albums from this band, while I will be sad that they call it quits when they do I wont be sad of all the complaining that happens about new material.

This has been going on for as long as I can remember on the Internet even all the way back to the Zooropa days.

This new arguement isnt that new only thing different about it is that U2 is about 15 years older and therefore have a lot more of a mountain to climb when it comes to being a rock band, as the general public thinks anybody over the age of 30 these days is washed up....so U2s age will catch up to them when it comes to selling records and being the worlds biggest rock band if they continue much longer. They will always do well touring wise but album sales wise hard to say how much power they will have.

So yes I think the last 2 albums were a consious effort to make money but I also think that while this material isnt the most innovative stuff they have ever done I would still say the over all quality of it is better then the decade preceding it outside of Achtung Baby.

After a decade of experimentalism and pushing outside of their comfort zone, U2 more than earned the right to make a couple of more "straightforward" albums. In fact, anyone who wants something different out of them now and finally gets that from the band will only get it BECAUSE the band already made ATYCLB and HTDAAB. These albums were essential in giving U2 the confidence that they need to continue to pursue new directions in their music. Think if they had made another Pop from a commercial and critical standpoint. Who knows where they'd be now...maybe done. So even if you love Pop (which I do) and even if you're not crazy about the most recent albums, anything U2 does that everyone (if that's even possible) likes in the future was only possible because of those albums. Not to mention the fact that, when you have a catalogue as big as U2's, sometimes you want to be able to pick out their more "conservative" or "easy-listening" phase, you know? I can always find a mood where one of their albums fits perfectly, while the others would not.

bram said:
After a decade of experimentalism and pushing outside of their comfort zone, U2 more than earned the right to make a couple of more "straightforward" albums. In fact, anyone who wants something different out of them now and finally gets that from the band will only get it BECAUSE the band already made ATYCLB and HTDAAB. These albums were essential in giving U2 the confidence that they need to continue to pursue new directions in their music. Think if they had made another Pop from a commercial and critical standpoint. Who knows where they'd be now...maybe done. So even if you love Pop (which I do) and even if you're not crazy about the most recent albums, anything U2 does that everyone (if that's even possible) likes in the future was only possible because of those albums. Not to mention the fact that, when you have a catalogue as big as U2's, sometimes you want to be able to pick out their more "conservative" or "easy-listening" phase, you know? I can always find a mood where one of their albums fits perfectly, while the others would not.

:up:

Yahweh said:
AC/DC prepaired it the same way about 20 times straight and people are still listening to them, in just as many numbers as U2 in most countries.

U2 made 3 very simular albums in the 90s as far as influence goes but nobody seems to complain about that.

Made 3 very simular albums in the 80s....the first 3, nobody complains about those either.....

Honestly I dont think their is much of an arguement here U2 have always worked this way and honestly it doesnt matter unless you are listening to the album every day or every 2 days. U2 have provided us as fans with pretty much the most variety in the music as any band in history has attempted to try yet people still like to complain, guess they wont ever satisfy all of you.

Personally I think if you arent liking the music now you should talk to the producers of these albums, Eno and Lanios, they are the ones that are supposed to push the band into doing something they arent necessarly comfortable with. I also think it has to do a lot with Paul Maguiness wanting U2 to go out with a bang and not fading into obscurity.

I think there will only be 2 more albums from this band, while I will be sad that they call it quits when they do I wont be sad of all the complaining that happens about new material.

This has been going on for as long as I can remember on the Internet even all the way back to the Zooropa days.

This new arguement isnt that new only thing different about it is that U2 is about 15 years older and therefore have a lot more of a mountain to climb when it comes to being a rock band, as the general public thinks anybody over the age of 30 these days is washed up....so U2s age will catch up to them when it comes to selling records and being the worlds biggest rock band if they continue much longer. They will always do well touring wise but album sales wise hard to say how much power they will have.

So yes I think the last 2 albums were a consious effort to make money but I also think that while this material isnt the most innovative stuff they have ever done I would still say the over all quality of it is better then the decade preceding it outside of Achtung Baby.

:bow: Yahweh and bram.

I would just like to add this: I'd say the band is just as wanting to go out on top like McGuiness and not fading away.

Also, I find the usual "they made the last two albums to make money after Pop" comment is not valid. For one, U2 will sell millions no matter what they do. Also, they don't make their albums that consciously. It's more organic and less predictable than that.
I remember interviews where they said that during making of All that..., all the band kept thinking "this sounds too much like U2", regarding Edge's playing. I imagine there were several moments like the infamous BD talk between Bono and Edge.

it would be safe assume that writers/musicians tend to write based upon where they at that point in their life.

the members of u2 are in their 40s, most in long term relationships, with young kids, and just in a different point in their lives than they were in the 80s and 90s... and it's reflected in their music.

:shrug: what d'ya want from 'em

Headache in a Suitcase said:
it would be safe assume that writers/musicians tend to write based upon where they at that point in their life.

the members of u2 are in their 40s, most in long term relationships, with young kids, and just in a different point in their lives than they were in the 80s and 90s... and it's reflected in their music.

BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS

:applaud:

Do people really expect them to write another "Stories For Boys?" It's not going to happen. That's also not to say that U2 are old and done, it's just that the band are in a different place now than they were in 1983 or 1993. People really need to look at what's going on in the lives of the band members in order to fully comprehend the genesis of the music that is made. There are myriad influences and events that have affected the guys' lives that then influence the music. To name a few: Bono's mother dies--Boy (and many others). Edge quits the band for a few days, then quits Shalom & rejoins the band--the fire and rage of War. Backlash of R&H, and Edge's divorce--AB. Edge has no place to sleep but the studio--Zooropa. Bono's dad is dying--ATYCLB.

You can listen to the music and like the sounds. You can also know where the music is coming from and appreciate the band. To ask them to ignore what's going on in their lives and make some funky Passengers-esque music just to make new sounds--silly.

Bonochick said:

How about people try being nice and respectful towards each other so that threads can stay open?

A long time ago, around the time How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb came out, I was on this forum quite a lot. And people were vicious to one another.

Oddly I don't remember threads being closed due to that.

:up: :up:

Back
Top Bottom