New single in September?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:
Why would you want an EP for November? Then we'll have to wait another two years for a new album, since they'll have to start a new tour for promotion, something that takes a long while. :|
Why would they need to start a new tour to promote the EP? :| A few interviews would be enough since it's an EP not an album with 10 to 12 songs. The EP would be out to promote the new book, the dvd and the last leg of The Vertigo Tour. They would have the last leg of the Vertigo Tour to play a few songs from it. And I don't think they would take two more years just because of an EP, specially since they are already writting new songs.

Plus since it's an EP maybe they wouldn't feel too much pressure on their shoulders and who knows maybe we could get great songs out of that and pump them up for the next record. Anyway, it's just an idea.

TheBrazilianFly said:

Why would they need to start a new tour to promote the EP? :| A few interviews would be enough since it's an EP not an album with 10 to 12 songs. The EP would be out to promote the new book, the dvd and the last leg of The Vertigo Tour. They would have the last leg of the Vertigo Tour to play a few songs from it. And I don't think they would take two more years just because of an EP, specially since they are already writting new songs.

Plus since it's an EP maybe they wouldn't feel too much pressure on their shoulders and who knows maybe we could get great songs out of that and pump them up for the next record. Anyway, it's just an idea.

No, no, I said they'd have to start a new tour for a new album, not EP. That was the crux of my argument. :huh:

LemonMelon said:

No, no, I said they'd have to start a new tour for a new album, not EP. That was the crux of my argument. :huh:

Well then I think I'm a little lost here. :scratch: What tour and what new album are you talking about? My idea is to put out an ep to promote the dvd, the book AND I think the buzz of new U2 songs out there would last long until the beginning of this new leg of the Vertigo tour so it could help to promote it too (and what I mean by that is just to pump people up for this tour after such a long and unusual brake between legs of a tour, with new U2 songs on the radio).

After the last leg of the Vertigo Tour they would go to the studio and do a new record. That's all. :kiss:

TheBrazilianFly said:

Well then I think I'm a little lost here. :scratch: What tour and what new album are you talking about? My idea is to put out an ep to promote the dvd, the book AND I think the buzz of new U2 songs out there would last long until the beginning of this new leg of the Vertigo tour so it could help to promote it too (and what I mean by that is just to pump people up for this tour after such a long and unusual brake between legs of a tour, with new U2 songs on the radio).

After the last leg of the Vertigo Tour they would go to the studio and do a new record. That's all. :kiss:

It just seems like a lot to do over 12 shows, a DVD release, and a book. I mean, you have a point, but they could use those songs for an full-fledged album release in the nearest future possible. I think a regular single with a throwaway b-side would be sufficient. (Especially if it was a Vertigo or even HMTMKMKM level success)

LemonMelon said:

It just seems like a lot to do over 12 shows, a DVD release, and a book. I mean, you have a point, but they could use those songs for an full-fledged album release in the nearest future possible. I think a regular single with a throwaway b-side would be sufficient. (Especially if it was a Vertigo or even HMTMKMKM level success)
I understand but the songs on this EP wouldn't necessarily need to be really the best U2 songs ever. They could take songs like Mercy and unfinished songs from the last records (Northern Star) and finish them (it's only 4 or 5 not 10 or 12 songs like in an album). It would be an exercise for the next album.

Also, this book is an unusual book for U2, it seems to be more special since they are so involved in it and this space between the legs on this tour is just as unusual in U2's history (but in a negative way).

Last edited:
TheBrazilianFly said:

I understand but the songs on this EP wouldn't necessarily need to be really the best U2 songs ever. They could take songs like Mercy and unfinished songs from the last records (Northern Star) and finish them (it's only 4 or 5 not 10 or 12 songs like in an album). It would be an exercise for the next album.

Also, this book is an unusual book for U2, it seems to be more special since they are so involved in it and this space between the legs on this tour is just as unusual in U2's history (but in a negative way).

So we're not talking about a Zooropa-level EP are we? :wink: If it is lesser, I wouldn't mind, as long as it didn't get in the way of the LP's recording. But still, I wouldn't expect it; there's no precedence for it.

I really want to get this book. It does seem rather special, and I'd like to hear what they have to say about things instead of some critic writer praising/bashing them through the writing. :|

LemonMelon said:

So we're not talking about a Zooropa-level EP are we? :wink: If it is lesser, I wouldn't mind, as long as it didn't get in the way of the LP's recording. But still, I wouldn't expect it; there's no precedence for it.

I really want to get this book. It does seem rather special, and I'd like to hear what they have to say about things instead of some critic writer praising/bashing them through the writing. :|
I'm not expecting it either but it would be a really cool and diferent move that could work really well. I agree with you on the book. :up:

TheBrazilianFly said:

I'm not expecting it either but it would be a really cool and diferent move that could work really well. I agree with you on the book. :up:

The average U2 biography:

"...And then, in November 1991, U2 released their most incredible, near-holy record that didn't have a single weak track or note in its entire 55 minute duration...*swoons*...and then U2 released Zooropa and Pop which were just to fulfill a contract or whatever...and then in 2000...oh they released another brilliant work...a work that destroyed Zooropa and Pop..."

And so on. :mad:

By the way, have you noticed that AB's 15 year anniversary is this November? Coincidence? I think not. :wink:

LemonMelon said:
By the way, have you noticed that AB's 15 year anniversary is this November? Coincidence? I think not. :wink:
Metallica played their entire Master Of Puppets album for its 20 year anniverssary. It would be kinda interesting if U2 did that, geeky but still interesting. :drool:

MrBrau1 said:
I love the idea of the "one-off" single. It's become a lost art.

Jeez, The Beatles were probably the best at it.

From the new 18-minute clips, 404 could certainly work as a very strong one-off single. I think it's strong enough to be the song of a whole season--or even year.

And it has a Beatles-esque quality to it...:eyebrow:

:wink:

Utoo said:

From the new 18-minute clips, 404 could certainly work as a very strong one-off single.

:wink:

Perhaps they will call the song 404 now that it has leaked to the internet... :wink:

Blue Room said:

:hmm: U2 has released a non album single called Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me. Which would be similiar to what this is if true. U2's new album didnt occur until 2 years after that. :shrug:

Well... it all depends on what you call a "non-album single".

U2 started their careers with non-album singles.

"A Celebration" was a non-album single released between "October" and "War" and was never featured on any album.

U2's various charity works (like "Night and Day") could even be considered non-album singles.

The aforementioned "Hold Me... Kill Me" was a non-album single, although technically, that isn't correct. The song appeared on the "Batman Returns" soundtrack album. This begs the question - does a charity album or soundtrack album count?

Then there's the special recordings U2 did for their two "Best Of" albums. Those might even be considered singles as they are featured on albums of previously released material.

So it really depends on how picky we are in defining this term. :)

Regardless, if U2 are ONLY releasing a single, then it has to be something spectacular and catchy, like "Hold Me...", or even the album singles of "Beautiful Day" or "Vertigo" as it really has to capture the public's attention. Something slow could work, but only if it's another WOWY or "One". Anything like "The Hands that Built America" will NOT fly nor attract any attention. :sexywink:

doctorwho said:

Regardless, if U2 are ONLY releasing a single, then it has to be something spectacular and catchy, like "Hold Me...", or even the album singles of "Beautiful Day" or "Vertigo" as it really has to capture the public's attention.

I agree, and if they can't bang one out worth releasing over the next several weeks (presuming it's not already in the can) then we'll get nothing.

I'd rather they be rehearsing Mofo, Discotheque, Lemon, Dirty Day, One TRee Hill, Hawkmoon, God Part 2 and Love is Blindness so they can play them in Oz or Japan or wherever and so we can all salivate over the bootlegs. :wink:

Well that or recording a full album and just letting it carelessly get released with promotions, singles, a tour or not.

All I have to say is:

They should release "I Believe" this song has soo much potential!! the guitars on that baby are just simply amazing. And the stunning resemblance to Hold me.. Kill me makes it even better. On the other hand would U2 release another single that is semilar to hold me kill me? eitherway that would be a great choice IMO

dabiggestu2fan said:
All I have to say is:

They should release "I Believe" this song has soo much potential!! the guitars on that baby are just simply amazing. And the stunning resemblance to Hold me.. Kill me makes it even better. On the other hand would U2 release another single that is semilar to hold me kill me? eitherway that would be a great choice IMO

I completely agree! I think this was the song they were writing for the James Bond film. So it makes sense that this song should be pretty far along and could make a good single in time for September.

402 sounds very polished and advanced, with really tight and crisp guitar, bass, and vocals. 404 needs more work IMO.

402 is all they got

I doubt they have the final version but they might get there

Probably have to wait a few years so they can ruin it along with Mercy.

402 and 404 are good!! but the rest are quite boring !!

402 sounds like a slow version of HMTMKMKM !!
402 also has a bit of NIGHT AND DAY feel to it!!
if Pauls voice stay's clear and strong on this track this could be the best song since STAY!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom