New Q magazine - Readers 100 Greatest Albums... again... already!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:

I have to agree with U2Man's smiley. ;)

Sure, the U2 albums are on there and it looks good.

But Radiohead? I abhor "O.K. Computer", but I get that others enjoy it. But to have those two albums be the top 2 albums ever is simply insane. That alone is enough for me to not even bother with this list, even with the high ranking of some U2 material.

edge3 said:
That was the critics list from around Nov 2003. Here's the readers list from Oct 2002 :

50 Pearl jam Pearl jam Vs. Pearl jam (1993)

:lol: I love this album title...

When are people going to realize that music is subjective and that these polls and lists are pure bullshit? They mean nothing. It's all a waste of time. Just people trying to force their views on others.

It means nothing to me.

U2Man said:
How many of you think that Definitely Maybe is better than The White Album, Achtung Baby and Dark Side of the Moon?

:lmao:

I don't think it's better than Achtung but I'd enjoy listening to it more than the other two.

Particularly Pink Floyd.

I can´t help but thinking in the legendary Brian Damage´s laughter while I´m seeing the lists :lol:

Nevermind better than Dark Side... yeah right! :laugh: :eeklaugh: :lmao:

I can't believe some people here are stupid enough to take this poll seriously. It's done by the readers!! Tastes...

And please stop the Nirvana bashing. They had/have many fans so it's normal... more people voting for them.

MacPhistoPT said:
I can't believe some people here are stupid enough to take this poll seriously. It's done by the readers!! Tastes...

Don't be so bloody sensible!:wink:

I don't think anyone's actually realised what's been going on here...

I remember at 'AtEase' there was a big hype about this poll and everyone was shouting about voting Radiohead to the top.

These polls are NEVER an accurate representation of the opinions of the so-called 'public' and Radiohead getting both Number One and Two spots in this poll, is exactly the kind of thing that happens here when everyone starts a voting frenzy voting time and time again for U2 in some stupid online/radio/etc. poll and now some other band's fanbase have done exactly the same thing everyone's kicking up a fuss...

Last edited:
Lemonfix said:
Also just because U2 is our favorite band doesn't mean that their albums should all be in the top 20 of every list ever. That's just bias, and frankly, they don't deserve the honor, if one is looking objectively.

Ach, why not? There's no fun being a fan if you can't be totally biased and demand your fave band wins everything, even the stuff that doesn't matter! ;) It's half the joy! Especially when they DO come top and you can smile to yourself. Smugly, perhaps...

Objectivity is overrated. ;)

U2Man said:
How many of you think that Definitely Maybe is better than The White Album, Achtung Baby and Dark Side of the Moon?

Not better, but as good as those, yeah...

For me anyway...

ponkine said:
I can´t help but thinking in the legendary Brian Damage´s laughter while I´m seeing the lists :lol:

Nevermind better than Dark Side... yeah right! :laugh: :eeklaugh: :lmao:

Pink Floyd are shit:wink:

At least they were able to respect the genius of Billy Corgan and put two Smashing Pumpkins albums on the list.

U2Man said:

Definitely Maybe is a fantastic album...Pink Floyd are grotesquely overrated in my opinion, and whoever said they had the "most boring rhythm section in rock" was correct...I think you're one of those sorts who can't stand to see any holy relic of "classic rock" below more modern albums.

Sleep Over Jack said:

You agree with these rankings?...;)

if it's ONE instance of U2 not being OVER-VOTED to the top spot by fan forums in a poll then I'm happy with it to no end! Plus they are both absolutely amazing records!

That's actually an extremely good top 20. I don't necessarily agree with the order within the top 20, but who cares? At least Spice Girls and NSync aren't in there.

I would highly recommend that people listen to all of the albums on that list. I actually still need to listen to some of them (such as Stone Roses, The Smiths, Jeff Buckley and Pet Sounds).

Every time Q magazine does this list, the #1 has pretty much been the same.

They should just call the freakin' issue "The 99 Greatest Albums after OK Computer"

Q readers 100 greatest albums (issue 235 Feb 2006) :

1. OK Computer – Radiohead
2. The Bends – Radiohead
3. Nevermind – Nirvana
4. Revolver – The Beatles
5. Definitely Maybe – Oasis
6. The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses
7. Automatic For The People – R.E.M.
8. (What’s The Story) Morning Glory – Oasis
9. Achung Baby – U2
10. Kid A – Radiohead
11. The Joshua Tree – U2
12. The Queen Is Dead – The Smiths
13. Grace – Jeff Buckley
14. Abbey Road – The Beatles
15. The Dark Side Of The Moon – Pink Floyd
16. Urban Hymns – The Verve
17. The Beatles [White Album] – The Beatles
18. Pet Sounds – Beach Boys
19. Sgt. Peppers Loney Hears Club Band – The Beatles
20. London Calling – The Clash
21. Led Zeppelin Iv – Led Zeppelin
22. In Utero – Nirvana
23. Blood On The Tracks – Bob Dylan
24. Appetite For Destruction – Guns N’ Roses
25. A Rush Of Blood To The Head – Coldplay
26. Is This It – The Strokes
27. The Wall – Pink Floyd
28. Never Mind The Bollocks – The Sex Pistols
29. Rubber Soul – The Beatles
30. Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd
31. Californiacation – Red Hot Chilli Peppers
32. What’s Going On – Marvin Gaye
33. Ray Of Light – Madonna
34. Exile On Main Street – The Rolling Stones
35. Park Life – Blur
36. Blond On Blond – Bob Dylan
37. Out Of Time – R.E.M.
38. Electric Ladyland – Jimi Hendrix
39. Screamadelica – Primal Scream
40. Parachutes – Coldplay
41. The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust – David Bowie
42. The Velvet Underground & Nico – The Velvet Underground & Nico
43. Doolittle – Pixies
44. Closer – Joy Division
45. Highway 61 Revisited – Bob Dylan
46. Hunky Dory – David Bowie
47. Astral Weeks – Van Morrison
48. Sticky Fingers – The Rolling Stones
49. Document – R.E.M.
50. Forever Changes – Love
51. Who’s Next – The Who
52. Unplugged In New York – Nirvana
53. All That You Can’t Leave Behind – U2
54. Siamese Dream – Smashing Pumpkins
55. Dummy – Portishead
56. Play – Moby
57. Physical Graffiti – Led Zeppelin
58. Thriller – Jack Michealson
59. Ten – Pearl Jam
60. Amnesiac – Radiohead
61. Odelay – Beck
62. Hounds Of Love – Kate Bush
63. Are You Experienced – The Jimi Hendeix Experience
64. Let It Bleed – The Rolling Stones
65. Blue Lines – Massive Attack
66. White Blood Cells – The White Stripes
67. White Ladder – David Grey
68. Rumours – Fleetwood Mac
69. The Holy Bible – Manic Street Preachers
70. The Man Who – Travis
71. Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
72. Kind Of Blue – Miles Davis
73. Jagged Little Pillock – Alanis Vinaigrette
74. Origin Of Symmetry – Muse
75. The Doors – The Doors
76. American III: Solitary Man – Johnny Cash
77. The Clash – The Clash
78. Back In Black – AC/DC
79. Setting Sons – The Jam
80. Low – David Bowie
81. Word Gets Around – Stereophonics
82. Born To Run – Bruce Sprinsteen
83. Stanley Road – Paul Weller
84. Songs In The Key Of Life – Stevie Wonder
85. Different Class – Pulp
86. The Marshall Mathers LP – Eminem
87. Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea – P.J. Harvey
88. After The Goldrush – Neil Young
89. Vauxhall & I – Morrissey
90. Disintegration – The Cure
91. It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back – Public Enemy
92. Everything Must Go – Manic Street Preachers
93. Exodus – Bob Marley & The Wailers
94. Purple Rain – Prince
95. Raw Power – Iggy Pop
96. The Man Machine – Kraftwerk
97. Transformer – Lou Reed
98. Paul’s Boutique – Beastie Boys
99. Rain Dogs – Tom Waits
100. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot – Wilco

Also mentioned by the Q writers/critics :

Flawed Classics - 10 albums that were almost great :

Bob Dylan - Another Side of Bob Dylan
Prince - Lovesexy
The Rolling Stones - Aftermath
Madonna - Erotica
The Beach Boys - Surf's Up
REM - New Adventures In Hi-Fi
Led Zeppelin - House Of The Holy
U2 - Pop
The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come
The Libertines - The Libertines

Last edited:
edge3 said:
Can't believe Q magazine have already done the Readers 100 Greatest Albums again : i mean it's only 3 years since the last time. Before that the gap was 5 years... much more sensible, imo.

Anyway the good news is that Achtung & Joshua have both risen again & ...Leave Behind storms in at mid-table :

Q Readers 100 Greatest Albums Feb 2006 :
Achtung Baby : # 9
Joshua Tree : # 11
ATYCLB : # 53

Q Readers 100 Greatest Albums Jan 2003 :
Achtung Baby : # 10
Joshua Tree : # 16

Q Readers 100 Greatest Albums Feb 1998 :
Achtung Baby : # 15
Joshua Tree : # 23
Zooropa : # 90

LOL, I like the last one the best! Zooropa #90!!!! :drool:

edge3 said:
Q readers 100 greatest albums (issue 235 Feb 2006) :

1. OK Computer – Radiohead
2. The Bends – Radiohead
3. Nevermind – Nirvana
4. Revolver – The Beatles
5. Definitely Maybe – Oasis
6. The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses
7. Automatic For The People – R.E.M.
8. (What’s The Story) Morning Glory – Oasis
9. Achung Baby – U2
10. Kid A – Radiohead
11. The Joshua Tree – U2

Also mentioned by the Q writers/critics :

Flawed Classics - 10 albums that were almost great :

REM - New Adventures In Hi-Fi

U2 - Pop

That top 11 is absolute crap. Except for the U2 and Radiohead albums which are classics, the albums range from average to utter crap. Oasis are shit and always have been and to have 2 albums higher than U2 is bollox, The Stone Roses are plain mumbling druggie nobheads as well and The Beatles and Nirvana are average albums from average bands. I mean, where's Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced/Electric Ladyland......even Axis Bold As Love is worth mentioning above ANY Oasis album. REM's Automatic sounds pretty boring to me now and hasn't stood the test of time very well, Everybody Hurts which I once thought was a great song now sends me to sleep like Man On The Moon.

Now the 2 albums that were mentioned in flawed classics, Pop and New Adventures in hi-fi(rem's best album, easily!), are great albums and far more deserve to be in a top 10 than most of that list!:wink:

That's just a shitty list on so many levels. I'm happy with where the U2 albums are (I'd have AB number one but I'm biased)...but to have 2 Oasis albums in the Top 8? And in no way does Nirvana belong at Number 3. And since when is A Rush of Blood To The Head better than Astral Weeks or Rubber Soul (best Beatles album)? Automatic for the People doesn't belong in the top10, it's not even the best REM album. Two Radiohead albums as top 2---come on. And Travis doesn't belong on a top 10,000 album list.

I know it's all subjective...but this list just sucks. :wink:

bsp77 said:

I would highly recommend that people listen to all of the albums on that list. I actually still need to listen to some of them (such as Stone Roses, The Smiths, Jeff Buckley and Pet Sounds).

Don't bother listening to the ones that you list above. The Smiths is droaning drivel, same goes for The Stone Roses. The 2 most OVERRATED artists there has EVER been. Of course, though, they are from Manchester and if your a band from Manchester then your assured of legendary status. Just look at the bands that have come from Manchester Oasis, Stone Roses and The Smiths, all crap but somehow get in a top 10 album list of all time. Laughable!

:wink:

listen to Jeff Buckley's Grace as soon as you can since it's one of the greatest records ever made.

When was the last time anybody here read a copy of Q?(without a Bono cover)

The list from a couple years ago compared with this one proves who is the current readership.

u2fp

Back
Top Bottom