New New York Lyrics, anyone beside me not like them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arturod

The Fly
I know I will be flamed, but this is one of my three favorite songs on ATYCLB and I don't like how U2 has changed the lyrics. It's admirable what U2 is doing, but the new lyrics just do not flow. I hadn't seen the song performed with the new lyrics until last night on letterman, and it just felt a little forced; like Bono was trying too hard to make the song that used to be about something fit with current events . Anyone get this feeling? I'm not saying that U2 should not try to link the song to 9-11, obviously, it would be hard to perform any song entitled NY without thinking about the tragedy, but perhaps Bono could have thought of better lyrics. If you are to repond to this thread, please don't make any personal attacks against me (i.e. well, why don't you write something better - OBVIOUSLY I CAN'T, but I do have the right to constructive criticism.)

It may seem like the "new lyrics" don't flow at times, but they have so much passion and meaning that I think it more important than the overall flow.

As for saying Bono could have come up with better lyrics...well...I think he has done an excellent job.

What more do you want out of this man???
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

That is not to flame you either...everybody is entitled to their own opinion, after all.
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

I agree with Bonochick. The new lyrics do give the song much more meaning. It does seem like they don't fit but Bono does a great job of not making it too nocticeable.
Although, for me I personally can't stand "new york." It's still my least favorite song from the album. Blah.

------------------
But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
Oh, you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I don't particularly like them either. At times they seem almost too cliche or something. I think the change in lyrics was a bit overdone. Maybe a change in the couple of lines to memorialize the victims would have been nice, but still have the song be about the city of new york. With all the changed lyrics it almost seems like the song is all about the Sept. 11 attacks, instead of about the city as a whole. Just my opinion.

I kind of like them, but at the same time, I think I would like it if they went back to the original lyrics--or mostly the original lyrics--pretty soon. After all, the song is supposed to be a celebration of the city, and it still is sort of with the different lyrics, but maybe people won't always want to think about Sept 11 when they hear the song.

------------------
The soul needs beauty for a soulmate

I like them. I think that Bono does a great job in implying what he wants to say without actually saying it (as he normally does).

Could anyone post the new lyrics here?

Hmmmm, I have mixed feelings about the lyrics, being from New York the song means alot to me & i can relate to his views on the city. I thought the change was sweet & a nice jesture to NY fans we are still dealing with this everyday. I took as Bono's way of expressing how he feels with out really talking about it. (i hope that makes sense).

At the MSG shows he said "Even New Jersey loves New York" i thought that kicked ass
smile.gif

Anyway, i do hope they go back to orginal song once they hit the west coast but if they don't for this leg, i would take more as healing.

Starr

I'll post the new lyrics after the kids finish watching Winnie the Pooh Boo to you Too!!!

By the way, he wrote the first set, I think he can change them any way he wants to, always genuinely giving us his feelings through song. It wasn't my favorite song before, but after hearing it in Hamilton, I love it...and I'm from Upstate!!!

------------------
If your glass house should crack....POE

Lyrics to New York - from Letterman show 10/29/01

"New York,
In New York freedom feels like too many choices. In New York I found some friends to drown out the other voices. Voices on the cell phone. Voices from home,"Are you OK, Baby, from staying alone?" New York, I love New York.

In New York summers get hot, well into the hundreds. You can't walk around the block without a change of clothing. Come September, alot can change. Summer's love turns to winter's pain. New York. Even New Jersey loves New York. New York. New York.

In New York you can forget, forget how to sit still. In New York you can't forget just how strong the city's will. New York. New York. New York. New York. New York. New York. New York. (whispers I think?? "shoot 'em down")

The Irish have been coming here for years, actin' like they own the place. They got the airport, city hall, concrete, asphalt, they even got the police. Irish, Italian, Jews, Blacks, Hispanics. But religious nuts, political fanatics don't belong. New York singin' a different kind of song...what's goin' on New York. New York. New York. New York. New York. what shall I say? New York. what shall I say? New York.

In New York I had a problem, call it a midlife crisis. It's not really a problem, just too many choices. I hit an iceberg in my life, yet I'm still afloat. I lost my balance, you lost your wife in the queue for the lifeboat. You're puttin' the women and children first. I just had an unquenchable thirst for New York. New York. New York. New York. New York.

In the stillness of the evening, when the sun has had its day, I thought I heard you whispering, "come away child." New York, New York.

I love New York. I love New York. I love New York. I love New York. You stole all my song, New York."

I thought it was beautiful!!!

------------------
If your glass house should crack....POE

[This message has been edited by drumkeeran (edited 10-30-2001).]

Originally posted by drumkeeran:
Lyrics to New York - from Letterman show 10/29/01

"New York,
In New York freedom feels like too many choices. In New York I found some friends to drown out the other voices. Voices on the cell phone. Voices from home,"Are you OK, Baby, from staying alone?" New York, I love New York.

In New York summers get hot, well into the hundreds. You can't walk around the block without a change of clothing. Come September, alot can change. Summer's love turns to winter's pain. New York. Even New Jersey loves New York. New York. New York.

In New York you can forget, forget how to sit still. In New York you can't forget just how strong the city's will. New York. New York. New York. New York. New York. New York. New York. (whispers I think?? "shoot 'em down")

The Irish have been coming here for years, actin' like they own the place. They got the airport, city hall, concrete, asphalt, they even got the police. Irish, Italian, Jews, Blacks, Hispanics. But religious nuts, political fanatics don't belong. New York singin' a different kind of song...what's goin' on New York. New York. New York. New York. New York. what shall I say? New York. what shall I say? New York.

In New York I had a problem, call it a midlife crisis. It's not really a problem, just too many choices. I hit an iceberg in my life, yet I'm still afloat. I lost my balance, you lost your wife in the queue for the lifeboat. You're puttin' the women and children first. I just had an unquenchable thirst for New York. New York. New York. New York. New York.

In the stillness of the evening, when the sun has had its day, I thought I heard you whispering, "come away child." New York, New York.

I love New York. I love New York. I love New York. I love New York. You stole all my song, New York."

I thought it was beautiful!!!

reading them brought a tear to my eye...just amazing

I think the new lyrics are pretty good. They fit in with the old lyrics ("will" even rhymes with "still" for instance) and they convey many of the ways that 9/11 has had such a big impact on our lives. I don't think that's easy to be poetic about.

I personally really like the new lyrics. I think the song is amazing. New York was never a favourite of mine, but since the tour and now with the changed lyrics, it is one powerful tune. Not to mention it is a beautiful tribute to those personally affected by the tragedy. It works, and it works well. A co-worker asked me today after having watched Letterman last night if that song they sang was written after Sept. 11. It's that good that your regular joe hasn't a clue. But of course that's just my opinion.
I don't always like it when U2 changes their songs, but in this case I do.
wink.gif

------------------
"I'm staring at the sun, not the only one who's happy to go blind..."

I think Bono is doing a great job...it's not like he's saying "New York...just saw a plane crash in New York..." or something...he's hitting home emotionally without being extremely harsh or blunt about it.

I think he is doing things in good taste and judgement.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

I didn't really like the song much anyway, but I like the new lyrics quite a bit. They are an improvement on the original song.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"She's hyperventilating." --my podiatrist (about me) 10-24-01

I like the new lyrics, and think they fit the circumstances, but I agree that U2 should go back to the original lyrics in not too long since they flow better with the song.

Back
Top Bottom