New Music Rumors and Such, Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Take out that LAPOE-SBS-Bullet-Miss Sarajevo-Pride-Streets-One stretch and there isn't much of that theme left. One tree hill was done because they were in New Zealand, it had nothing to do with the human rights theme. Kite was done due to the didgeridoo player, most likely. Sometimes isn't about this theme either. Same goes for Miracle Drug.

Sure, if you take out 7 songs....... :huh:

Did we ever get confirmation that this was actually the case? That they're new versions of the old songs? or is that just an assumption based off that tweet?

Blackstreet member Dave Hollister tweeted to the world that he’s working with Bono on some old songs with new versions of “Grace” and “All I Want Is You.”

Did we ever get confirmation that this was actually the case? That they're new versions of the old songs? or is that just an assumption based off that tweet?

Blackstreet member Dave Hollister tweeted to the world that he’s working with Bono on some old songs with new versions of “Grace” and “All I Want Is You.”

All assumption based on that Tweet. Billboard and a number of other outlets have the story but there's no new information.

Honestly, I can't think of a song that need remixing LESS than AIWIY, and I was never terribly excited about Grace to begin with.

It also looks like the guy hasn't tweeted since that day. Perhaps Larry showed him where to put his phone?

Kite was done due to the didgeridoo player, most likely.

Just as an aside - I can't find it online now, but there was an article/interview with the didgeridoo player here at the time, and he was spotted busking or something, literally a day or two before the first show he did with them in Brisbane? It was some cool/crazy story like that. "Hi - sounds good - what are you doing for the next couple of weeks? Want to go on tour with U2?"

Don't know about whether Kite was included specifically because of that or not, but I'd guess not. It was probably added for that leg as we didn't get the Elevation Tour, so ATYCLB was safely 'new' to this part of the world.

absolutely
Lemon was great as a Macphisto performance piece
it's one of my favourite U2 songs, but not a great live song

i can live with just having the zoomerang version

I think it's absolutely brilliant, one of my single favourite U2 live moments (and as a performance piece, With or Without You afterwards is key) - but agree it should be left on the shelf. In a fantasy world I'd love to see them do it again, it's one of my favourite U2 songs - every bit as epic as Streets IMO - but in reality there is no way they would do it well, let alone do it that well. I think they'd flat out ruin it, actually. Really, totally, completely fuck it up.

Perhaps only if they ever did something like those club promo shows they did before ATYCLB. Small venue, small crowd, different mood and atmosphere, not needing big songs with big gestures to fill a big stadium. A loose and playful attempt in that setting might work.

i hope they drop Streets for Grace.

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

So...

Let me reiterate an earlier assertion, in light of all this never-ending tour talk.. :angry:

Songs of Ascent is dead.. some songs may remain from this concept, but the album that may once have been will never see the light of day.

goodbye meditative, reflexive piece of work!! :down:

1) Take out that LAPOE-SBS-Bullet-Miss Sarajevo-Pride-Streets-One stretch and there isn't much of that theme left. One tree hill was done because they were in New Zealand, it had nothing to do with the human rights theme. Kite was done due to the didgeridoo player, most likely. Sometimes isn't about this theme either. Same goes for Miracle Drug.

See Niceman's post.
Sure, if you take out 7 songs!

That is like saying there are no bright colored cars in a parking lot with 15 cars if you take out the 3 yellow cars, 4 red cars and 2 hot pink cars.

Also, I also said themes of life and death, which Kite, Sometimes, Miracle Drug and One Tree Hill certainly fit very well. I am well aware of why they played One Tree Hill for New Zealand, but that does not change the fact that it was paired up with "Sometimes" a few shows. They saw the thematic connection.

I sometimes get the sense that you don't read the posts you respond to, but that could just be me.:wink:
2) Only 3 or so songs in the set. Not really influencing the entire set.

Look at the entire tour, thats what I was talking about.

The Ocean, I Will Follow, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Cry/Electric Co, Gloria and 40 were all played multiple times, most on a consistent basis.

Where is the other tour that made the thematic connection back to the early days like Vertigo?

Where does the barrage of randomly mixed new songs+oldies+hits and Zoo TV set they played on Vertigo tour fit with these themes ?

I went over that already.

The small part of the set that doesn't, the Zoo TV encore, is at least cohesive and makes sense and sounds good where it is. I would take late set great performances of Zoo Station, The Fly and Mysterious Ways over lackluster late set performances of Walk On and With or Without you any day.

The big question here is how does what we have on 360 encores make a better thematic connection than what we had on Vertigo? I'd say they both had weak connection back to the theme.

Only having one true encore and having it be anchored by Ultraviolet and everyone running for the exits before MOS really hurts 360.

360 set has a bigger case for "space/time" IMO, and it flows much better especially after COBL/UF duo. Anyway, the tour still has (at least) two legs to go, it's too early to judge it up against the other tours.

Hardly. The space/time theme is used only on the IALW/UC segment before we get to UF.

And how is the rest of the set after UF/COBL somehow more fitting with this space theme? COBL and Vertigo are Bomb hits, Crazy remix is a new dance around and have fun number, Sunday Bloody Sunday and MLK are 80s political staples, Walk On is an ATYCLB hit, One and Streets are U2 classics. SBS, One and Streets are right at the place they have come to find a home at in most U2 set lists since Popmart. How is this different or a better attempt to fit a theme?

so to get this thread back on track, U2 rehearsed 2 new songs in Turin today!

DISCUSS!!!

DISCUSS!!!

Did anyone hear them enough to describe?

Someone sneaky (like with the beach clips) should record them. Of course we could all just wait for August to listen to bootlegs on youtube. :wink:

If anyone actually recorded them it might hint at how soon we could get an album. For example, if they are nothing close to what SOA was described as it suggests that the band is probably going to be at work for a couple more years. That also might suggest another mash-up like NLOTH. If they are similar to SOA then maybe the album could be closer to being finished than we think. :up:

This was posted in the "U2 in Turin" thread.

U2 has arrived in Turin and already rehearsed two new, never-before-heard songs at Olympic Stadium. That's the word from this article on Italian site U2place.com, which got the news from fans hanging around outside the stadium. The article says that Bono's voice and Edge's guitar were "readily recognizable" inside the stadium. Commentary: No doubt that U2 knows fans are listening outside the stadium and will spread news online about everything they hear/see. So, to begin day one of rehearsals with two new songs is a bit of a throw-down. It would've been quite easy and predictable to crank out "Get On Your Boots" and "Vertigo," but no.

Fans outside the stadium also report that U2 is expected to move some of its rehearsals to the Palaisozaki, an indoor facility adjacent to Olympic Stadium. That'll give the band freedom to work on the show (presumably) out of fans' sight and sound. They did a similar thing last summer while rehearsing in Barcelona.

we could be hearing new U2 songs in 10 days.. decent quality, without waves..

I'm going to dance a jig. shit yeah.

Heh. I just got an email from @U2 saying the original source had removed the "new songs" piece from the article, because apparently the news was confusing. So .... no one really knows what's going on? Or something?

I doubt they would start rehearsals with songs that are really "optional" at this point. You'd think the first thing they would work on is the theoretical new show opener, or any other No Line songs that are going to be added to the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom