New Music Rumors and Such, Continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about whatever needs to be ditched and placed in the set for 2010, imo, they could drop Stuck in a Moment, Magnificent, With or Without You, Unknown Caller, In a Little While and Breathe and sub in Lemon, Two Hearts, Gloria and Kite or One Tree Hill.

Most importantly, they desperately need to have a section of 2 - 3 "dark" songs much like the usual Sunday Bloody Sunday/Bullet The Blue Sky pairing to counter the tone of much of the rest of the set. maybe using Love and Peace or Else/Seconds or When I Look At The World/UTEOFW.

T.B.

as much as you guys may hate ATYCLB, the fact that they are playing a shit-ton of those songs and not HTDAAB is fantastic. i would take In A Little While, Stuck in a Moment, and Walk On over Love and Peace/All Because of You/Yaweh. more 90s than 80s would be cool, but the number of 00s songs in the setlist is just a testament to the strength and longevity of U2's career.

I don't think anyone hates ATYCLB.

Its a really great album, and no matter where you rank it with the others, all U2 super fans have to hold a special place in their heart for the album that made U2 the biggest band in the world again.

I am one of the biggest and most consistent critics here of the ATYCLB overload on the 360 tour, so I think my view is shared by many here to some extent. What I have a problem with is not the album or the songs themselves, but with them taking up 5 slots in the set list in a stadium environment where they do not fit at all.

Go back and look at some Elevation set lists, they are leaning on ATYCLB almost as much as they did when it came out!! That is unprecedented for U2. Beautiful Day is obvious. In A Little While, IMHO, should be obvious as it fits the theme of the tour and is a gorgeous, underplayed song.(compared especially to other 2000s U2 songs)

Elevation: Just time to go. Goodbye. Its overstayed its welcome. 3 tours as a regular. Its just not that good. Not when I Will Follow, Gloria, Electric Co, Another Time, Another Place, Out of Control, Wire, Two Hearts Beat as One, Seconds, Hold Me....Kill Me, Last Night On Earth, Gone and MOFO all sit on the bench. Great song, great fun live, but not compared to what they have on that bench.

Acoustic Stuck:Its doing nothing for me and nothing for the crowd as a whole. Boring. Save it for arenas or the tour when they turn 60.

Walk On: Great song, but they can't manage to make it more than a shadow of the 2001 versions on 360. They have Please, they have A Sort of Homecoming, In God's Country, hell, I'd take a rotation of Pride and Bullet over some of the Walk On performances this tour.

If they really and truly feel any need to bring in something else from ATYCLB, they better drop at least 2 of the above mentioned 3, and what they add better be Vertigo Tour Kite or the debut of When You Look At The World.

If this rumor is true, why would they even think of debuting Grace over Look At The World?????? Anyone have a good answer for that?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for U2 being big in the 2000s, its what sets them apart from other long time touring acts.

I just think that the following is enough:

Beautiful Day
In A Little While (Occasional Kite)
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo(Occasional Original of The Species or Love and Peace)
+5NLOTH
+2 or 3 New Songs

So not counting the occasionally performed songs and going on the most conservative estimate of new songs, we have 11 of 22-24 songs from the 2000s. 45-50% at the minimum. That is plenty of representation.

No matter what we here may think, we have to remember that the casual word on the street about U2 360 is that they play way, way too much 2000s and neglect their back catalogue. Playing more will not help this tour resonate more in any way, save of course for a big new single or two sometime this year.

Some ATYCLB can afford to go for In God's Country, Two Hearts Beat As One, Lemon and MOFO from the 80s and 90s. They are simply better songs better suited to 360, and I don't much care if they are older.

I would also take Original of The Species, Love and Peace, All Because of You and a premiere of One Step Closer over another atrocious acoustic Stuck or more moles digging in holes with souls.

I don't know about you, but I'm a Dutchman. :p

(though I don't think Grace is a classic. I do think it's a very good song though and an excellent closer to ATYCLB, which is also an excellent album)

:)

i'm glad the ground beneath her feet is my atyclb closer!

now excuse me while i stick my fingers in my ears and back slowly away from the inevitable debate about how it isn't really the closer.

If they play 'Grace' we'll get Bono doing his typical intro of "This is a very beautiful song. A song God gave us". Now let's remember he said things similar to this about Electrical Storm, Your Blue Room and Stay on this tour.

So good luck with that boys!

i'm glad the ground beneath her feet is my atyclb closer!

now excuse me while i stick my fingers in my ears and back slowly away from the inevitable debate about how it isn't really the closer.

I'll back you up Ian on the TGBHF/closer debate! Without it the album, especially the second half just meanders away into nothing.

I'm confident they will keep Walk On in the set just cos it plays an integral part of the show with the protest, etc.

I don't think anyone hates ATYCLB.

Its a really great album, and no matter where you rank it with the others, all U2 super fans have to hold a special place in their heart for the album that made U2 the biggest band in the world again.

I am one of the biggest and most consistent critics here of the ATYCLB overload on the 360 tour, so I think my view is shared by many here to some extent. What I have a problem with is not the album or the songs themselves, but with them taking up 5 slots in the set list in a stadium environment where they do not fit at all.

Go back and look at some Elevation set lists, they are leaning on ATYCLB almost as much as they did when it came out!! That is unprecedented for U2. Beautiful Day is obvious. In A Little While, IMHO, should be obvious as it fits the theme of the tour and is a gorgeous, underplayed song.(compared especially to other 2000s U2 songs)

Elevation: Just time to go. Goodbye. Its overstayed its welcome. 3 tours as a regular. Its just not that good. Not when I Will Follow, Gloria, Electric Co, Another Time, Another Place, Out of Control, Wire, Two Hearts Beat as One, Seconds, Hold Me....Kill Me, Last Night On Earth, Gone and MOFO all sit on the bench. Great song, great fun live, but not compared to what they have on that bench.

Acoustic Stuck:Its doing nothing for me and nothing for the crowd as a whole. Boring. Save it for arenas or the tour when they turn 60.

Walk On: Great song, but they can't manage to make it more than a shadow of the 2001 versions on 360. They have Please, they have A Sort of Homecoming, In God's Country, hell, I'd take a rotation of Pride and Bullet over some of the Walk On performances this tour.

If they really and truly feel any need to bring in something else from ATYCLB, they better drop at least 2 of the above mentioned 3, and what they add better be Vertigo Tour Kite or the debut of When You Look At The World.

If this rumor is true, why would they even think of debuting Grace over Look At The World?????? Anyone have a good answer for that?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for U2 being big in the 2000s, its what sets them apart from other long time touring acts.

I just think that the following is enough:

Beautiful Day
In A Little While (Occasional Kite)
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo(Occasional Original of The Species or Love and Peace)
+5NLOTH
+2 or 3 New Songs

So not counting the occasionally performed songs and going on the most conservative estimate of new songs, we have 11 of 22-24 songs from the 2000s. 45-50% at the minimum. That is plenty of representation.

No matter what we here may think, we have to remember that the casual word on the street about U2 360 is that they play way, way too much 2000s and neglect their back catalogue. Playing more will not help this tour resonate more in any way, save of course for a big new single or two sometime this year.

Some ATYCLB can afford to go for In God's Country, Two Hearts Beat As One, Lemon and MOFO from the 80s and 90s. They are simply better songs better suited to 360, and I don't much care if they are older.

I would also take Original of The Species, Love and Peace, All Because of You and a premiere of One Step Closer over another atrocious acoustic Stuck or more moles digging in holes with souls.

Beautiful day, I think you'd agree isn't going away live. They won't kick out that of the set. Wish they'd keep that great new Arabic intro they had in Europe.

Elevation, while fun, could use a break. 3 tours in a row is more than enough - and there are plenty of other and better songs to execute the otherwise correct decision to bring more rocking songs in the set (along with UTEOTW).

IALW, underplayed. Fits the space theme, beautiful song and a good replacement for Your Blue Room.

Stuck: like I said, do it like Zoo TV or Popmart and have a full, 3 songs acoustic set. Instead for the last three tours they're stuck with the token 1-acoustic-song that of course falls flat. It doesn't help that the 360 set has Stuck followed by another slow song, I still haven't found...

Walk on: well, the album version is one of the more overhyped U2 songs here, and I didn't really care for 2001 versions, I really liked the 360 version - slightly sped up, and more guitars. Obviously fits the Aung Sun Suu Kyi moment of the show.

What is more surprising re: 00's U2 in the set is that only two HTDAAB songs appear*. It's the last album before the current one, and they played more of it on Vertigo than they did with ATYCLB on Elevation.

After more pre-1984 songs on Vertigo, and more UF represented on 360, maybe now IS the time for some more 90's songs (ie Pop songs). Oldies got love, AB always gets love, JT as well, Passengers and Zooropa I think this is as good as it gets.

*Granted this could be like early Vertigo tour when only BD and Elevation got played and before Walk on, Stuck and Kite (and IALW one or two times) joined the set in the latter legs.

Beautiful day, I think you'd agree isn't going away live. They won't kick out that of the set. Wish they'd keep that great new Arabic intro they had in Europe.

celtic, and it made it as far as new york in 2009 i think. it's one of the few (imo) songs from atyclb that still rates itself as being worthy of a regular place in the set.

Talking about whatever needs to be ditched and placed in the set for 2010, imo, they could drop Stuck in a Moment, Magnificent, With or Without You, Unknown Caller, In a Little While and Breathe and sub in Lemon, Two Hearts, Gloria and Kite or One Tree Hill.

Yeah, let's get rid of three new songs and replace them all with oldies.

Your replacement suggestions aren't bad, but I don't want to see just a couple No Line songs. They're still touring that album and it should be as represented as their recent recordings usually are.

To be honest, I think they should be choosing songs based on the stage, and what would work in such a large, overblown environment. Also, the key theme of this 360 tour seems to be technology, and so the songs need to reflect that. That means less songs like "In A Little While", "Stuck in a Moment", and even "Kite", and more songs like a revamped version of "Discotheque" or maybe "Fez" or "Gone" or, I think, a new version of "Please".

Well I don't think the theme is exactly "technology" as much as it is time and space, which IALW works very well. None of those songs listed really speak "technology" to me, not that I wouldn't mind hearing any of those songs but I just don't buy your reasonoing.

I'll back you up Ian on the TGBHF/closer debate! Without it the album, especially the second half just meanders away into nothing.

I understand that TGBHF was included on some copies of the album.... but it wasn't even a new song at that point. How can it be a proper part of the album?

And yes, I think ATYCLB meanders away into nothingness....

To be honest, I think they should be choosing songs based on the stage, and what would work in such a large, overblown environment.

This but the problem starts with NLOTH. The band designed the tour long before they knew what the album would be like. Most of the songs on that album are not outdoor, giant stage songs. Promoting the album already puts the setlist at a disadvantage. They seem to be choosing songs based on the album. Which by extension affects the setlist even more.

I understand that TGBHF was included on some copies of the album.... but it wasn't even a new song at that point. How can it be a proper part of the album?

And yes, I think ATYCLB meanders away into nothingness....

They like to think this because it makes them feel special.

It's a bonus track, not the end of the album. Albums don't "end" in different ways in different countries anymore.

This but the problem starts with NLOTH. The band designed the tour long before they knew what the album would be like. Most of the songs on that album are not outdoor, giant stage songs. Promoting the album already puts the setlist at a disadvantage. They seem to be choosing songs based on the album. Which by extension affects the setlist even more.
Bingo! I've been saying this for a long time. The stage design has zero (or almost no) connection with NLOTH's spirit/philosophy. 360's concept is very interesting but no way close to what NLOTH's environment required. That's why there's such disconnection between both, that's why they played so few NLOTH tracks and that's why even though NLOTH's song sound well live, none of them "fill" us completly like other songs did in their first tours - there's no "WOW" factor in there.

Bingo! I've been saying this for a long time. The stage design has zero (or almost no) connection with NLOTH's spirit/philosophy. 360's concept is very interesting but no way close to what NLOTH's environment required. That's why there's such disconnection between both, that's why they played so few NLOTH tracks and that's why even though NLOTH's song sound well live, none of them "fill" us completly like other songs did in their first tours - there's no "WOW" factor in there.

I'm sorry, I missed the vote that said that you speak for all of us... When did this happen?

oh, I feel included, that's the problem - I don't want to be included in your delusions...

What you should be saying is ...none of them "fill" ME completly like other songs did in their first tours...

...since you know, you have absolutely no way to know what every single other person in the audience feels...

That's why there's such disconnection between both, that's why they played so few NLOTH tracks and that's why even though NLOTH's song sound well live, none of them "fill" us completly like other songs did in their first tours - there's no "WOW" factor in there.

I disagree so much, so so much.

But let's leave it at that and I'll just ask a question instead.

Since when is 7 out 11 songs from the new album "so few"?

More than one fourth of the show was new songs. With a 30-year career, I can't see how you can expect more.

I agree with the opinions expressed in this thread about the disconnect between the stage production, especially for a big outdoor show and most of the songs played in a typical '09 set, especially in regards to the NLOTH material. Some of the transitions between songs was either jarring (Crazy Tonight > SBS?!?) or there were big dead spots like IALW / Unknown Caller. The shows have so much more potential than was realized in '09, I hope the band really shakes up the set this year.

T.B.

I disagree so much, so so much.

But let's leave it at that and I'll just ask a question instead.

Since when is 7 out 11 songs from the new album "so few"?

More than one fourth of the show was new songs. With a 30-year career, I can't see how you can expect more.
7... Sometimes 6 (when the title track or "Unknown Caller" were omitted). Do you think that +/- 28% of new songs is enough? Don't forgat that we're not in the early 90's where the average was still around an album each 2 years [since Pop that average became 4 years].

For me it feels as well that the band doesn't have pride or confidence in their most recent material. If that wasn't the case, most songs would've been played at least once (bah... why bother even trying if they work?). If that wasn't the case, Crazy Tonight would've been played in a "decent" version and the band wouldn't have to recur to a crap remix.

To the other users: Forget about the "us" (why so much picking on it?) in my other comment, that's not the focus of what I wrote and it wouldn't change the substance of it if I replaced the "us" by "the audience (in general)".

7... Sometimes 6 (when the title track or "Unknown Caller" were omitted). Do you think that +/- 28% of new songs is enough? Don't forgat that we're not in the early 90's where the average was still around an album each 2 years [since Pop that average became 4 years].

For me it feels as well that the band doesn't have pride or confidence in their most recent material. If that wasn't the case, most songs would've been played at least once (bah... why bother even trying if they work?). If that wasn't the case, Crazy Tonight would've been played in a "decent" version and the band wouldn't have to recur to a crap remix.

To the other users: Forget about the "us" (why so much picking on it?) in my other comment, that's not the focus of what I wrote and it wouldn't change the substance of it if I replaced the "us" by "the audience (in general)".

It's more than other albums, and a lot more than most acts in their peer range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom