New Hannover Quay report - on french!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't speak French, so I copied the article and used freetranslation.com. Like djerlap said it's not a good translation but for what it's worth here it is. Hopefully someone else can do a better job translating.

"We had promised you the continuation here that is done. We deliver you in the state the
testimony of a French fan that lives henceforth in Ireland... enjoy! This left!

Good day everyone!

I came last week (fine June debut July) for U2 had etre in recording end of the album.
Monday and Tuesday, I not in have meets no for I could not remain the whole journee and
they st arrive has every time qd I n'etais the. Dc all begins Wednesday evening. We are 6
(5 Francais and a Scottish one) has to await that they go out of the studio. They did us
poireauter even apres midnight! But good, Bono goes out, s'arrete itself and we look at.
Then at last it goes out of the car, comes to squeeze the hand to the 4 Frenchies that it did
not know, that are called Solange, Clear, Thomas and Stephane, greets Heather (Score)
that etait deja come in May and in last nov and that it reconnait, then turns me the back
(but that is it been done me, the?) for some does to sit on my knees. Ben see, I use him
armchair now! Me that was cold, ca has me rechauffe! Then it takes me the hands pr that
I weave it! I J'etais so perturbee that I have pricks a crisis of crazy laugh, that the has well
entertains and it is remains sit even has so as I calm myself. Is necessary to say that it did
all ca in silence without saying a word, then I j'etais more in state...

At last, it returns ds his car, sits, we look at all and we does:" I can take 4 persons" with
an excuse air for one etait 6...Comme the 4 Francais etaient together, one has them leaves
climb. And one is remains all the two has to await the others. Larry took out almost
aussitot then Adam and Edge the last one, has more of 2H checkmate! Entretps, one
reviewed Stephane, that came to look for his car and we has relates that Bono had done
them ecouter the tracks 1 and 2 of the new album. The music etait so strong that they
could not hear the motor!

Thursday, one there returns evidemment. There was 6 Germans with us and derechef,
one awaits them. Qd they st arrive, person is not herself arrete. It is necessary to say that
it did a tps epouvantable, with rain, sun and wind in meme tps. The true Irish meteo!
Evenings, it so cold fact that I had put back my winter sweaters. And towards 21H, they
did us a gift. Sam opened the fenetre of the top and they have us leaves ecouter a song.
Everyone etait mass under the fenetre and has the end, one all applauded and Sam came
to close the fenetre. As one etait all emoustille, one becomes more bolder even has to go
itself scotcher has the door of the studio under a rain beating for they etaient in the
process of passing all the songs has the continuation. One has meets a small Irish pepe
has velo, that, guess what? joined has itself we pr ecouter the songs! It left apres a half an
hour about for it rained really too strong and it had not nothing pr to shelter itself.

To a moment, Sam is arrives by another carries and all surprise to find us the, is itself just
exclaims "you are crazy now what?". The craziest one is than it not us nothing said while
one knows all tres well than this definitely is forbidden to be going to stick has itself the
door. And this is as ca that one was able to hear 10 affilee songs!

One is set off again to sit on the bench qd ca ete finished and qq 2 hours later, Bono took
out. It has arrete his car and has accepts photos and autographs as it had arrete to rain.
Qd I have it approaches pr to do for him to sign my Uncut, it has me asks if I j'etais well
come deja the day before, and also that left etait the last one (doubtless pr verifier as I
said the verite). And has the end, qd all the fans etaient satisfy, it has not at all a finger on
me and has me asks climb ds his car. ..euh...oui, I have repondu. Heather on the other
hand has refuses (? !) And dc Amy, an Australian one is itself proposee pr climb has his
place. Next it said has the round one that it again could take 2 persons, and apres a
flottement, Anthony, a New York Americain, and Noel, a pal has me Irish st climb. The
other etaient all hallucinate that Bono proposes us climb ds his Maserati!

And we left voila pr a turn in city with Bono as driver! I must say that, driven question, I
expected has worse: o) And it did us ecouter the track 1 that would have etre the first
single and the track 5. And Anthony, that too happy etait of this that arrived for him, do
not n'arretait to do signs to the other cars pr that they see that this c'etait Bono that drove
us! Bono did not need to ask us this that one thought about the songs with the bocson
that one did has the arriere! Apres to have done the turn of the neighborhood, it has us
leaves on the sidewalk, more or less stunned of this that we had just arrived!

One etait so perturbs that one arretait not to prick laugh crises, simply while crossing our
looks. The people had to think that one etait butter! One resumed a taxi and the first
thing that said Anthony to the driver while sitting inside this is "guess why one needs
you? This is because one goes out of the car of Bono and one needs to return at the
studio". The driver did not seem to believe us but qd one all left pr a laugh new crisis, it
has seems convinced. Is necessary to say that ds the enervement state ds which one etait,
it has well of the to doubt itself that it us etait arrives qq thing of not banal one.

One is returns has HQ pr recuperer the cars, relates to the others this that etait arrives and
one is all returns cehz we apres that Edge, again last good, went out of the studio (while
greeting us widely but without s'arreter itself). Friday, one returned pr to see if
decidemment, the others went s'arreter themselves or not. And then, one esperait to hear
again the songs.

It done tjs a dog tps, but evenings, as the surroundings st silent, one was able to hear 2
other songs. One has been able arreter Steve Lillywhite and Dallas ds the apres-midi, that
said us that they esperaient to finish tonight. But qd one saw the tete of Adam qd it left
the first one, one understood that they again had not finished.

Qd Bono took out, it said us that it had not the tps to take fans, and "itself you tomorrow".
They work the Saturday now? Wow! This is that they wanted absolutely to finish and
also they etaient press to leave on vacation! This is the that the 4 Frenchies itself st
apercus that they more could not leave for their battery etait has flat, for they had passes
the whole soiree ds their car has causes cold one and they had ecoute of the CDs, that
have pumps all the energy of the battery!

Then one is goes asks has Sam to help us for it comes tjs by car. Qd Edge took out, Sam
etait in the process of installing the sons and Edge has for him asks if it had a pb. And
Sam of repondre, no, this st the fans that have not anymore battery. Then it, the 4
themselves st post some spins and have gets up the thumb as autostoppeurs pr to ask has
Edge to bring back them has the house! Ca has him qd meme pulls out a mouse!

One returned the Saturday in apres end noon, for it had pleased (again!) all the apres-midi
and dc one doubted oneself that they do not s'arreteraient himself while arriving. The,
one has been able reentendre the songs, that they have again works a little and qd they st
leave, this c'etait all bodies with the techies, the producers and all the equipe, pr to be
going to do bender. Ben yes, one etait Saturday evening.

Bono is itself just arrete all happy pr to say us "this is has the time a girl and a garcon".
Kesako? Of what it speaks the? I thought that this c'etait the album but of others thought
that this c'etait qqn of the equipe that had had twins. Dc one awaited that Sam to go out
and one has him carrement asks. To smile it that it had. ..en does, this is well album that
it is a matter, but this not some is the title.

Good voila, I was not able to take photos of the week, but I have pals that in have, dc I go
to send some to you soon!

Kisses"

awesome!

what i can make out, track 1 will be the new single, but there's also something about 10 tracks?

and bono's not a bad driver :wink:

I love how this translation refers to Bono as "it". "It" sat on her lap. That's very Bono, I must say.
What is wrong with all of these people who have heard songs from the album and seem incabable of saying anything about it?? She goes on and on, but gives no real description of the songs!
Aargh!

OK, I am a French teacher, but there is quite a bit of internet abbreviations and some slang, so it isn't perfect, but I think it is easier to understand than the translation one.
There were a few spots I had trouble and I noted them in parentheses. I will try to do the rest later, if anyone is interested. Hope you enjoy!

Hi everyone!
I came last week (end of June-beginning of July) because U2 was finishing up recording their album. Monday and Tuesday, I didn?t run into anyone because I wasn?t able to stay the entire day and they arrived each time when I wasn?t there. Everything started happening Wednesday evening. They appeared (?) just after midnight! But well, Bono left, stopped and looked at us. Then finally he left for the car, coming to shake the hands of 4 French that he didn?t know, Solange, Claire, Thomas and Stephane, greeted Heather (the Scot) who had already come in May and last November and who he had recognized, but turned his back to me (but what was he doing?) in order to sit on my lap. Hey check it out; I?m serving as an armchair now! Me who had been cold, this warmed me up! Then he took my hands because I hand entwined them! I was very annoyed that I had a laughing fit, which really amused him and he stayed seated until I was calm. That?s to say that he did all this in silence without saying a word, I was really in a state?

Then he returned to his car, sat, looked at us all and said, ?I can take 4 people? with a sorry look because there was 6 of us? As the 4 French were together, we let them get in. And the two of us stayed to wait for the others. Larry came out just slightly earlier than Adam and Edge last, after 2:00 AM! In the mean time we saw Stephane, who was coming to find her car and she told us that Bono let them listen to tracks 1 and 2 of the new album. The music was quite loud and they couldn?t hear the car engine!

Thursday we returned to the studio of course. There were 6 Germans with us and (derechef?), we waited for them. When they arrived, no one stopped. I must say that it was a terrible time, with the rain, sun, and wind all at the same time. Typical Irish weather! In the evening it was quite cold and I put back on my winter sweater. And around 9:00 PM they gave us a gift. Sam opened the window wide and they let us listen to a song. Everyone gathered under the window and at the end, everyone applauded and Sam came to close the window. As it was all (?moustille? I think a reference to the nasty weather) we were brave enough to go (se scotcher? scrunch?) at the studio door under a battering rain because they were in the process of playing the rest of the songs (this part is very unclear to me). A little Irish tike on his bike rode by, and what does he do? He joins us to listen to the songs! He left after about a half an hour because it was pouring rain and he didn?t have any protection from it.

All of the sudden, Sam arrived from another door and surprised us all there and just exclaimed, ?Are you crazy or what?? The craziest thing is that he didn?t say anything at all about us formally not being allowed to be stuck at this doorway. And this is how we were able to listen to 10 songs (d?affil?e?).

thanks for the translation :)

biff said:
IWhat is wrong with all of these people who have heard songs from the album and seem incabable of saying anything about it??
no kidding
it seems this new album also has the ability to delete certain parts from people's memory

Salome said:
thanks for the translation :)

no kidding
it seems this new album also has the ability to delete certain parts from people's memory

That's very Philip K. Dick. Can you imagine if that were possible?:ohmy:

I just re-read that first report, the one in French. I can't believe that person wrote, "The music was quite loud and they couldn't hear the car engine".
"Geez Bono, turn the music down already. We want to hear the roar of this ultra high-performance automobile!":shrug:

There is a song called Miracle Drug by AC Newman that just came out a few months ago.

I have no idea who he is, but I bet he's pissed. Oh well, I bet he sucks anyways.

Sorry for the ignorance, but I can't seem to find the darn story anywhere on U2chat.com. Where the heck is it?

Please not Miracle Drug, please not Miracle Drug, please not Miracle Drug ...

Bono's Tart said:
My friend has posted his story on

www.u2chat.com

He was in the car on Thursday night and he has described the songs!

Have you friend write me if he would like to do a write-up for Interference.com.

Thanks!!
devlin@interference.com

So...Bono drove around fans so they could listen to songs from the new album?

Bono gives fans rides after dark because the studio isn't in the best neighborhood and I think he worries about the safety of young fans (particularly girls) walking around that area at night. Sometimes he does play songs for them as well, I know he played some fans snippits of "Electrical Storm" when that song was being worked on.

Anyone else think that Xanax and Wine is now called Miracle Drug?

Very possible I kinda like the title - I liked Xanax an Wine as well but the party pooper nurse in me says xanax+wine=kidney failure and dialysis :crazy:

Sounds like 3 of the possible 12 are: All Because Of You, Miracle Drug & Love & Peace Or Else, here's her version of the encounter:

OK - Finally here's my story - I wrote it out and its way too much so I'm gonna try condense it and hopefully not miss out on the important bits. !!!!
We had been waiting outside the studio and it looked like it was gonna be a late one - I was thinking of heading home but I'm so glad I didn't.
Adam eventually came out to meet us all - Cool as always. He spoke with everyone and signed autographs. I got my pic taken with him again - I had met him the previous month when Bono's Tart and crew were there.
Cars started to pull up to the studio delivering food and drink, bottles of champagne etc. We thought it was because they were celebrating the completion of the new album but Adam said it was someone inside's b'day.
After Adam went back in the upstairs fire exit door opened and Larry walked by it a few times. Then music started pumping out on the speakers inside. The first song - the music sounded a little U2ish but the voice sounded nothing like Bono - still dunno whether it was them or not. Then the next song - unmistakably U2.
There was a French guy outside that Bono had taken for a ride in his car the night b4 and he said that this was the song Bono played on the stereo and had said it was the first song on the new album and most likely the first single. I dunno how to describe what it sounded like - it reminded me a little of Elevation and possibly a song that could open a concert - it was fantastic - great guitar. When the song finished Sam the studio tech came up and closed the door - everyone started clapping to show their appreciation for what the band had just done for the fans outside and also approval for the song ( to be honest I'd say the door would have stayed open except that Larry saw someone holding up a video camera recording).
However we could still hear the music inside, Everyone (12/14 people) was leaning up against the main door to the studio listening - they played about 12 songs in a row - then the same 12 again and again - we were listening to the new album !!!!! - It sounds fantastic. Bono's voice is amazing - on some songs he sounds 20 yrs younger - like on WAR. Edge's guitar just rips...... I cant put into words how it sounds but its worth waiting for . We could hear a song with the chorus 'All because of you' and another - my favourite 'Miracle (something)' ....more on that later. There were one or two slower 'ballady' type songs at the end - we were ecstatic - I don't think we could believe it. It was getting late but every1 knew the band would leave soon and even if they didn't stop every1 was waiting around to show their appreciation.

(I'm gonna post this and start the continuation underneath just in case the pc goes down or whatever .......) to be contd.....

Contd from above .....

Adam left first - he slowed down and put the window down - he waved and said goodnight - all the fans were saying goodbye and thank you

Then the garage door opened and out came the Maserati - The car came to a hault right beside where we were standing. Bono got out and leant on the drivers door - he had his cowboy hat on and says 'Howdy!' The next 20 mins were a little crazy but this is what I remember.

I said 'It sounds good Bono'
He said ' What are you hearing?'
I said 'Some great Rock n Roll music'

I got the impression he wasn't going to stop for long. I told him it was my Birthday and asked if I could get a pic with him .... he said 'Sure - Get over here Birthday Boy' - So I stand in beside Our Lord and get the photo I've been waiting for (Thanks Amy). He then signed my CD cover "Happy Birthday" - 4 outta 4 - yes I even got LMJ b4 I got Bono !!! He also signed my 'Peter and the Wolf' Book and did a little self portrait. He then signed and posed for ever1 - he was in great form and cracking jokes the whole time.

Then I remebered that Bono's Tart daughter and nephew and Cameraman and Camerawomans's daughters had been there the day b4 and had drawings to give to Bono but never got the chance - so I gave them to him and took a pic of him holding them (The're in the post folks) He said he was sorry he missed them !!

As he was leaving Bono said he could take 4 in the car - he would take the two he had left behind the night b4 and an Aussie girl and Austrian girl he calls The Two Sisters - but one of the girls from the previous night didn't want to go and the Austrian 'sister' wasn't there so myself and an American guy jumped in with the others and off we went - Bono at the wheel

He asked us what we wanted to listen to and I said what about the song 'Miracle (something)' and Bono goes 'Yeah Miracle Drug - lets see if I can find it - he scanned through the cd but couldn't find it so he said "lets play this instead - Its called 'Love and Peace or Else' - this is on the album" I asked him if the album was finished and he said "You know what ? - It'll never be finished" - WOW !!! I asked him if that was how he felt about all the albums and he said "Yeah - Kinda" - He also played 'All Because of You" which just kicks !!! So there we are driving through the streets of Dublin Bono singing at full voice along with himself on the stereo. We stopped at traffic lights by O'Connell Bridge and people beside us are looking in in disbelief just like I felt for about 3 days after. He dropped us in the city centre. As we were getting out he shook all our hands - I said "Thank you for flying BonoAir" and he cracked up laughing. The 4 of us just stood there at the side of the road in shock and laughing. Then I realised I had to get back to the studio to collect my car - plus larry and Edge were still inside !!!!!

So - there you go - hope it was worth the wait

November can't come fast enough!!

I believe Miracle Drug may be a song carried over from the last album. I did a little google search and found an archived page from u2log discussing the Rock Hall of Fame exhibit a while back. One astute poster took notes on Brian Eno's studio notebooks that were on display. Miracle Drug was one of the titles. There's a few other interesting ones as well.

You'll have to cut and paste the link if you want to see what I'm talking about...

u2log.com/mt/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=2154

That's really interesting. Know what else is kinder interesting too? The part that says "? Night Shift/Harder/Love and Peace" on the All That you Can't Leave Behind Left overs.

zoocarolina said:
Sounds like 3 of the possible 12 are: All Because Of You, Miracle Drug & Love & Peace Or Else, here's her version of the encounter:

November can't come fast enough!!

Damn. You lucky bastard. :) I hope you'll be able to post some pictures for us.

its taken them 4 years to develop this 'Miracle Drug'
what diseases does it cure? :)
(sorry i'm in the mood of making fun of things)

otherwise...bring on November!!

Back
Top Bottom