New fans, Old skool?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Am sitting here pondering what question to ask, and i got to thinkin, is there any fans who got into u2 latterly that actually prefer early u2.....lets say up to and including Rattle And Hum?

I became a fan in the late 90's.

I knew there songs before, but didn't know that all these songs were U2 songs. Then my uncle, and godfather, presented me with the Best of 1980-1990, so I discovered that all these great songs were done by just one band. :love:

Only later I got to know the stuff from the 90's, before I've only listened to the songs from the 80's, and, not knowing that it was U2, HMTMKMKM.

So far I like the music from Boy up to HTDAAB.

I became a fan in 2004. HTDAAB was my first album and I loooooooved it... until I bought Achtung Baby and I was like "This is 12 thousand times better!" Granted, my favourite is Pop (and the 90s in general), but I definitely listen to albums such as The Joshua Tree and War more than ATYCLB or HTDAAB.

I became a fan in 2000 when ATYCLB came out but i love all their older stuff.

80's, 90's 00's Its all good!!

Do I count? I was born in 1987 and grew up on U2's stuff but only became a serious fanatic in 2002. And, well, anyone who comes here even moderately regularly knows that I worship eighties U2, especially the way early stuff, UF, and Lovetown but don't think that highly of the nineties except for Passengers.

Based on years of listening, I've come to the conclusion that U2's glory years started around Boy and ended around the time Window in the Skies came out. The early demos are fun to listen to, but they're unpolished. Everything they've done since U218 and Window in the Skies has been pure crap. Aahh, what I would give for the good old HTDAAB days. Window in the Skies may very well have been the last great song U2 has done, but that's a different topic for a different day.

Cheers!

I got into U2 last year, and The Joshua Tree is my favorite album. Not only is the album great, but a lot of the B-Sides from that era are simply great songs. I do love pretty much every era of U2 though.

gman said:
Am sitting here pondering what question to ask, and i got to thinkin, is there any fans who got into u2 latterly that actually prefer early u2.....lets say up to and including Rattle And Hum?

I became a fan during Elevation and Rattle And Hum was the first album I got. It was my favorite for a long time. However, Unforgettable Fire took over the top spot a few years ago and is still my fave.

Can't say I am. :shrug: I became a fan in 2002, but for me...it's 90sU24evr :kiss:

However, I love Boy, War, and Joshua Tree and am a defender of pre-UF U2 quite often on the board.

I remember listening in 86 then going out and buying all their records.That was a great time,I envy you younger fans listening to those songs for the first time. Listen to EXIT really loud!

I've kinda been familiar with some of their earlier songs for awhile, just from watching MTV alot back in the days of music videos only, but I didn't take a real serious interest in their music until 2000 when I heard Beautiful Day. Didn't even know it was U2 until I saw the music video on Vh1. (Radio stations don't ID song names and artists very often).

Their first 3 albums are in my top 5/6 (there's a tie for 5th place) fave U2 albums.

I became a fan in the late 90s, but the 80s stuff (particularly The Joshua Tree) was what hooked me.

I don't really consider myself a fan of any particular U2 era more than any other. They're so different that it's hard to compare. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are among my least favorite albums, though.

Me!

At the beginning of my fandom for U2 I prefer the newer albums more, but the more I listen, the more I like the earlier stuff I found!

Boy and October, they're soooo wonderful! :drool:

I'm 17 years old and I became fan in 2004 when I saw Vertigo on Vh1, then I brought HTDAAB, and really liked it. But as I was exploring their albums and songs then, I realized that I didn't like that 90's sound and I fell in love with War, UF and JT, which continues up to now.
But now I'm starting to like AB, Zooropa, and POP more and more.

I became a U2 fan in 2002 when I bought the Best of 1990-2000 album for my mom for Christmas. While I thought Even Better Than The Real Thing was good, Mysterious Ways was what made me a fan. After that, I listened to The Best of 1980-1990 album. The moment I became a fanatic though was in spring 2004 when I watched Zoo TV on VHS and I saw the RTSS-Streets segue. After that, I bought the Complete U2 from iTunes.

As for my favorite era, I love the 80s, 90s, and 2000s but my favorite will always be my favorite decade. It was what made me a fan (with Mysterious Ways), made me a fanatic with Zoo TV, and is responsible for my favorite album and song. (AB and The Fly)

I'm 25 and got into U2 during Popmart. Though I love their 90s material, Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree are by far my favorite albums.

I became a U2 fan thanks to ATYCLB in 2001 (now I'm 18) . Back then I spent the whole summer listening to this album, it was amazing... Then I got the Best of 1990-2000 and JT and I absolutely loved them. My faves were Mysterious Ways, EBTTRT, HMTMKMKM and UTEOTW from the Best of and I liked about every song on JT.
My fave era is the 90s most of the time, especially ZooTV, but I love 80s as well. For me Lovetown is the best tour of the 80's, but considering the albums everything since The Unforgettable Fire is just :drool:

u2fan628 said:
I remember listening in 86 then going out and buying all their records.That was a great time,I envy you younger fans listening to those songs for the first time. Listen to EXIT really loud!

HAve to disagree slightly here am afriad. I think we got the best deal, ie...living the moment at the time rather than playing catch up years later. Nothing will beat that.

Must say tho, am suprised about the general consensus. I would have thought that most people that got in to u2 latterly would not have enjoyed the earlier stuff. Its good to hear

u2fan628 said:
The first time I listened to Exit, it scared the crap out of me :scream: It probably wasn't the best idea to listen to it all alone in the middle of the night.

gman said:

HAve to disagree slightly here am afriad. I think we got the best deal, ie...living the moment at the time rather than playing catch up years later. Nothing will beat that.

Must say tho, am suprised about the general consensus. I would have thought that most people that got in to u2 latterly would not have enjoyed the earlier stuff. Its good to hear

I can understand you would think that, but in fact I have found myself and a lot of my friends are starting to like a lot of old U2 stuff i.e. pre UF era. Everyone really enjoyed Electric Co. on the last tour and hearing Out Of Control, just great energetic songs.

I am 27 and I got into U2 seriously around 1995 when the Batman Soundtrack came out and I heard HMTKMKM. I had always heard their music around but was never really into any particular bands music before I was 16 and hadn't been to a gig before Popmart in 1997.

I'd always had an enduring memory of the I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For video, but couldn't make up my mind if I liked U2 or not. I then remember seeing The Fly get to No1 in the UK and watching them on TOTP in concert and Bono coming down down the the walkway in The Fly shades etc, it was very dark and weird. A few years later I then remember hearing Stay (Faraway, So Close) and I really liked the chorus and the video that went with it and I still do!

It was only when the Batman track came out that for some reason got me intrigued and I found a cassette of The Joshua Tree lying around in my Media Studies classroom (during my A Levels). I took it home to listen to and copied it and returned it to school the next day:) From that day on, I gradually bought every album in their catalogue, with Achtung Baby and The Unforgettable Fire being the first two.

My favourite albums are till The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby and I can't choose between their 80s' and 90's work, I always change my mind depending on my mood. I might be in the minority, but I think U2 are on a downward spiral and their 2000's work hasn't lived up to their previous two decades. It could be a mixture of them going too soft and losing their excitement, energy, big sound or experimentation to some extent.

I just feel they have lost something that has always made them special and a class above anyone else. We could blame the music scene at the moment or what young music fans are demanding now, so that U2 can stay relevant and I think that is a great shame.

gman said:

OK G-MAN Im gonna flip flop and agree with you .You made a good point,For those of us who witnessed the transformation U2 made from Rattle and Hum to Achtung Baby could not compare to watching it on dvd's. I thought Bono was abducted and replaced by a lunatic!

I did think it was a rather good point....even if i do say so masell! But as I sed, in them days (from my point) it was a far more exciting time for all things u2.
There was an excitement created about them. I think it may be because they had become the top bannana because of JT. And I think also musically they were at their peak. Now I think its expected from em, and again (my view only) they dont always deliver to the standards i grew used to

I don't mind that I didn't get the chance to listen to U2's 80's stuff when it came out first. I was born Christmas 85, so I was too young.

What I'm sometimes missing is the opportunity to hear those songs live. I have some bootleggs and videos, but what I would've love to experience was the moment when the next song started, so the first riff of a new song in the stadium or arena. That must be an exciting, even magical moment, and I won't get to hear that.
Well, here are some good tribute bands, but this will never be U2.

That's really what I'm missing sometimes.

FullonEdge2 said:
Based on years of listening, I've come to the conclusion that U2's glory years started around Boy and ended around the time Window in the Skies came out. The early demos are fun to listen to, but they're unpolished. Everything they've done since U218 and Window in the Skies has been pure crap. Aahh, what I would give for the good old HTDAAB days. Window in the Skies may very well have been the last great song U2 has done, but that's a different topic for a different day.

Cheers!

:lol: I agree :wink:

I enjoy all of U2's stuff pretty much...but I definitely like the 90's era the best, and I got into U2 in the 90's, so there you go

I like about 98% of u2 stuff, although I thought 'pop' was a bit of a dodgy area. Their music has changed as they have grown up but their beliefs have never changed, just got more mature. At first I didn't like Windows but it grew on me and now I just think it's a different side of U2.:up: :shrug:

I got a fan in 89-90 when I was 12..... then Achtung Baby came out, very surprised about the change in sound, but it still remains my favorite album.....ever.... I love the 90's, but prefer the raw sound of the 80's, especially live..... the 00's are good, but the anger slowly went away..... I can't wait to hear the new album in.... 2010... :wink:

became fan in mid 90's, right before POP. My favourite era is the 80's without a doubt, except for most of Rattle And Hum. I especially love the pre-boy songs and the raw post-punk sound. My least favourite eras would be from 88-95 and 98-01. Vertigo tour and HTDAAB kicked ass though.

FullonEdge2 said:

Cheers!

Umm... ha ha?

Back
Top Bottom