New download before Christmas???!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't care if it's Mercy. The worst case scenario would be something like "Mercy (The Jacknife Lee Drinking Some Wine Techno-Shizzle Remix)"

:drool: Such good news. I wonder what it will be for? :hmm:

BTW, where's Blue Room? He needs to throw in his interpretation of the report (eg: WTF this article must be talking about Electrical Storm or something, because there won't be another new U2 song for at least another 2, 3...20 years.) :wink:

Last edited:
Maybe the new single will be U2 and Mary J Blige singing When Love Comes to Town.

I don't like the idea of a download only single. If it's only availible in 128kbps on iTunes I'm going to kill someone, namely U2.

shart1780 said:
I don't like the idea of a download only single. If it's only availible in 128kbps on iTunes I'm going to kill someone, namely U2.

I would only pay for a download-only single if it were available in lossless. I'm not spending my money on lossy, inferior audio.

Clawgrabber said:
yeah, because cd singles are still so not obsolete. I mean really, the are so easy to come by out here in the States. And they chart so well on payola mongering radio stations.

bring on the iTunes

:lol: I know....does anyone here (US) even buy singles? I've rarely ever seen them in stores--and they're usually ones from years ago & at an exorbitant "import" price.

I'll take it at itunes. Especially if it's a single that'll later appear on a cd that can be ripped at whatever I want later. Even if not, eh...it's 99cents for new U2.

LemonMelon said:
BTW, where's Blue Room? He needs to throw in his interpretation of the report (eg: WTF this article must be talking about Electrical Storm or something, because there won't be another new U2 song for at least another 2, 3...20 years.) :wink:

OK, this thread has been up for two days and Blue Room still hasn't rocked up to piss on the parade and give us all a stern dose of negativity. The thread feels incomplete. :wink:

Axver said:

I would only pay for a download-only single if it were available in lossless. I'm not spending my money on lossy, inferior audio.

Axver, my friend..... you never cease 2 delight me with Ur wit.

:wink:

dabiggestu2fan said:
EP would be nice! say umm 5-6 new songs mixed in with some live hits would be awsome I would love this sort of configuration although not neceseraly in this order:

1. I believe (new song)
2. Love and peace (or else) Live
3. Bulet the blue sky (live from elevation)
4. All my life (new song)
5. Vertigo (Live)
6. Beutifal Day (Live)
7. Can't you see (new song)
8. Some other new song (hopefully on the harder/ rockier side side)
9. All because of you (live)
10. fast cars (live)
11. Thank you (new song)

I know my flow is horrible. But its just the way I would personaly like it hehehe. I would like a live ep/album iun which the theme is somewhat harder rock songs with some balads like thank you which I think would be a good closer for the album/ep.

ANyone agree, disagree, think I am crazy? hehehehe

We don't need a rattle and hum 2, just new material-no live versions

Swan269 said:

We don't need a rattle and hum 2, just new material-no live versions

I disagree.

In fact, I think now is the perfect time for a "Rattle & Hum 2".

Of course, the album won't be anything like what U2 were trying to accomplish with R&H, but the concept of a half-live/half-studio album or EP would be fun.

Fans could hear some rare live tracks (a live "Fast Cars" would be fantastic!!) and we could finally get an official release of "Mercy". Being an EP, it doesn't have to be super-polished either. It could have some old songs (like "Mercy") with perhaps a hint of the new direction (as R&H did). Plus, with a November-ish release, they could sell a million or two albums just with the holiday season sales!

Of course, as much as I like this idea, it means there's no chance U2 will do it.

doctorwho said:

I disagree.

In fact, I think now is the perfect time for a "Rattle & Hum 2".

Of course, the album won't be anything like what U2 were trying to accomplish with R&H, but the concept of a half-live/half-studio album or EP would be fun.

Fans could hear some rare live tracks (a live "Fast Cars" would be fantastic!!) and we could finally get an official release of "Mercy". Being an EP, it doesn't have to be super-polished either. It could have some old songs (like "Mercy") with perhaps a hint of the new direction (as R&H did). Plus, with a November-ish release, they could sell a million or two albums just with the holiday season sales!

Of course, as much as I like this idea, it means there's no chance U2 will do it.

I disagree with this. This is not the time for "another" R&H because R&H was the soundtrack for the documentary, it's not a real studio project.
Plus, I don't think that R&H gave hints for a new direction, I think hat R&H is more like the consolidation, like the coda for that direction that had been following.

Aygo said:

I disagree with this. This is not the time for "another" R&H because R&H was the soundtrack for the documentary, it's not a real studio project.
Plus, I don't think that R&H gave hints for a new direction, I think hat R&H is more like the consolidation, like the coda for that direction that had been following.
If it was merely a soundtrack for the documentary, it wasn't a very good one. It was missing quite a number of songs - many of which were the best ones ('Streets', 'With or Without You', 'Running to Stand Still', 'Exit', etc). Why would U2 scratch some of the best live songs if they weren't trying to create an album with the right flow and ingredients? If it had contained only the studio tracks, that would have made a good studio album - especially if songs like 'Hallelujah Here She Comes' had been included.

I also think that 'God Part II' hinted pretty strongly as to the direction of Achtung Baby. And to some extent, the dance version of 'Desire' did as well.

Michael Griffiths said:

If it was merely a soundtrack for the documentary, it wasn't a very good one. It was missing quite a number of songs - many of which were the best ones ('Streets', 'With or Without You', 'Running to Stand Still', 'Exit', etc). Why would U2 scratch some of the best live songs if they weren't trying to create an album with the right flow and ingredients? If it had contained only the studio tracks, that would have made a good studio album - especially if songs like 'Hallelujah Here She Comes' had been included.

I also think that 'God Part II' hinted pretty strongly as to the direction of Achtung Baby. And to some extent, the dance version of 'Desire' did as well.

I'm not saying it was MERELY a soundtrack for the documentary, but I think that this was the main proposal of Rattle&Hum. If not, why would they make some kind of audio selection of what was presented in the doc?
The conception is very similar to a soundtrack.

True, it is a sountrack album (albeit missing quite a number of songs). I guess I just don't see why that should take away anything from it being a proper studio album. To me it is a studio album that was made into a double album with live cuts thrown in. There are 9 studio tracks on it afterall. Most people didn't buy the movie; they bought the soundtrack. And people generally accept it as a proper U2 album.

^ Yes, that's true!
In fact, I even think too that R&H should have been a double album, with separate discs for studio and live tracks.
And well... the movie was a faillure, and american critics didn't praize it... but it was successful and we love it:drool:

Yeah, I've always loved Rattle and Hum, despite the critical response to it. Lyrically, Bono is at the top of his game. Musically, U2 has never written soul songs with such ease. Several of the songs are classics. I mean, just consider...

'Angel of Harlem' - musically and lyrically, such a gem. Sounds effortless.

'All I Want is You' - the best closing song to any U2 album - has the line, "a harbour in the tempest", which is worth the price of the album, alone!

'Heartland' - a poem set to music. U2 haven't written anything so evocative since (with the exception of 'Stateless').

'Desire' - an old fashioned rock song done U2 style. Also sounds effortless.

'God Part II' - U2 with an electric groove, foreshadowing what was to come. Stunning vocals.

'Van Dieman's Land' - an emotional centerpiece. I have often found myself humming this one to myself.

'I Still Haven't Found' - done with a choir! How amazing is that?

What fans consider to be one of the worst songs, 'Hawkmoon 269' is one of Bono's most amazing set of lyrics, and would have any U2 fan in ecstacy if it had been released today. Even 'Love Rescue Me' is a touching ballad with vivid imagery and big metaphors. The lyrics in 'When Love Comes to Town' are as good as pretty much anything Bob Dylan has written.

Not to mention this is Bono at his vocal peak. Stretching his voice from a scream to a falsetto all in one breath is the norm on Rattle and Hum. And not just a scream, but a golden scream. A stunning work that the critics didn't figure out, I guess. Maybe it's because they should have not tried to figure out. This album is really just about sitting back and enjoying the music.

U2 and their fans took themselves too seriously during this period. That is one of the reasons why Ratte and Hum failed in the publics view. After reading the new book, I have a new respect for this album. "A room at the heartbreak hotel" should have made the album as well "I See the stars in your eyes
You want the truth but you need the lies" this kind of hints towards Achtung Baby too.

Rattle and Hum is quickly rising the ranks of my favorite U2 albums. The songs are just so amazing it's hard to ignore. Plus, as a band, I don't think they've ever played this well or have plaed this well since. Lovetown is a testiment to the greatness of U2 in 1988/89.

Lancemc said:
Rattle and Hum is quickly rising the ranks of my favorite U2 albums. The songs are just so amazing it's hard to ignore. Plus, as a band, I don't think they've ever played this well or have plaed this well since. Lovetown is a testiment to the greatness of U2 in 1988/89.

I sort of agree with that. I think the songs could be a lot better, but there's no doubt that U2 were at their performing peak. Bono was at his best vocally, Edge was the way everyone knows him best, and Adam & Larry were keeping it all together. They were brilliant then, and still are today. :up:

LemonMelon said:

I sort of agree with that. I think the songs could be a lot better, but there's no doubt that U2 were at their performing peak. Bono was at his best vocally, Edge was the way everyone knows him best, and Adam & Larry were keeping it all together. They were brilliant then, and still are today. :up:
The songs could have been a lot better?!? :eyebrow:

'All I Want Is You'

'Angel of Harlem'

'Desire'

'Heartland'

'God Part II'

'Van Dieman's Land'

'Silver and Gold'

I mean, wow, even the B-sides were better than anything that bands today release! ('A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel'; 'Hallelujah Here She Comes'; 'Slow Dancing', etc). Throw the B sides onto just the studio songs on R&H, and you have a stunning album! If the songs needed to be any better, I would say the rest of humanity should give up playing music forever.

Michael Griffiths said:

The songs could have been a lot better?!? :eyebrow:

'All I Want Is You'

'Angel of Harlem'

'Desire'

'Heartland'

'God Part II'

'Van Dieman's Land'

'Silver and Gold'

I mean, wow, even the B-sides were better than anything that bands today release! ('A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel'; 'Hallelujah Here She Comes'; 'Slow Dancing', etc). Throw the B sides onto just the studio songs on R&H, and you have a stunning album! If the songs needed to be any better, I would say the rest of humanity should give up playing music forever.

Yeah, it's really good and all, but I wouldn't classify all of those as "great" songs, and some that you left off are weaker. I do agree with you about the b-sides 100%

Hallelujah, Here She Comes :drool:

LemonMelon said:

Yeah, it's really good and all, but I wouldn't classify all of those as "great" songs, and some that you left off are weaker. I do agree with you about the b-sides 100%

Hallelujah, Here She Comes :drool:
Which songs aren't great?! :wink:

Seriously, let's go down the list:

* All I Want Is You (classic)

* Angel of Harlem (classic)

* Desire (classic)

* Heartland (up there with 'The Unforgettable Fire', the song - semi classic)

* God Part II (one of the best Love Town era songs - not a classic, but indeed great)

* Van Dieman's Land (also one of the top songs from Love Town - a quiet beauty)

* Silver and Gold (one of U2's last politically charged songs - a very good song)

So...not including the live classics on Rattle and Hum, we have... 3 classics, one semi-classic, one great live song, and two very good songs. The last time we had an album with three classics was...well, Rattle and Hum. :wink:

The beauty of computers (and iPods) today allows us to "improve" on Rattle & Hum as we choose.

Personally I prefer my CD containing the 16 "new" songs:-

9 R&H studio tracks
2 "proper" b-sides (Hallelujah, A Room...)
2 live covers (Helter Skelter, ...Watchtower)
3 covers from b-sides (..Barefoot, Unchained Melody, Everlasting Love)
1 tribute song (Jesus Christ)

This is an awesome collection of tracks, right up there with U2's finest albums IMHO.

But, back to the new "download" promised....I hope this track is also available on a real CD such as the greatest hits album or a CD single, because I (like others) don't just want a 128kps download.

Back
Top Bottom