New Bono Comic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2ulysses

The Fly
I have not seen this mentioned anywhere, so please forgive me if it was already brought up for discussion (and if so, please close this thread).

I came across this Bono comic. The strip is called "A Case in Point", which I believe is fairly new. The joke isn't that great, but it's U2-related and I thought some might enjoy.

Please go here to see the comic.

I admit that I don't get it either.

Many churches are named after the apostle, Bartholomew, ie. "St. Bartholomew de [insert city name]". So, it could be paraphrased, "St. Bartholomew's Church of Bono."

St. Bartholomew is often depicted with an image of flaying knife or knives, since he is believed to have been martyred by flaying and beheading. It appears that the figure is holding a flayed Bono.

Scripture doesn't tell us much about Bartholomew, so this cartoon could just be depicting Bono as a martyr.

Another possibility is that August 24, 1572, was the date of St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre in France. This event happened after the Reformation had reached France and revival was spreading across the country. The Vatican didn't like it, and a Jesuit Priest persuaded drunk French Monarchs to send soldiers who, along with Roman Catholic officials, saw to the slaughter of more than 100,000 Protestant Christians.

But the first explanation makes more sense.

I thought it was just God ripping off his Bono costume. You know, like in that "God likes to walk around Heaven dressed as Bono" joke, which I think I read in Flanagan's book.

:shrug:

Edit: Oops, I didn't see the St. Bartholomew thing at the bottom!

Last edited:
Well, let me assist in interpreting it. The image is a reference to the popular Sistine Chapel portrait of St. Bartholomew, which you can see here:

40p-Bartholomew.jpg

It could be interpreted as Bono being a martyr, but it should be noted that that "skin" in the Sistine Chapel painting is actually a portrait of Michaelangelo, the artist himself. Perhaps, instead, it is a commentary on Bono's dual status as a kind of "Christian martyr" (St. Bartholomew) and a hot-headed, temperamental artist like Michaelangelo (the skin). Or, perhaps, it signals Bono's detachment from Christianity, in the same manner as Michaelangelo's own detachment with the saints he spent years painting.

Interesting, nonetheless.

Melon

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom