New band members in u2.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boystupidboy

Refugee
Now don't shout at me please but i was wandering if Bono & Edge sacked Larry & Adam would it have a detrimental effect on the overall sound of the band?
It could be argued that the main driving force behind the group seems to be Bono & Edge and the 'other 2' are really only session musicians:huh: After all,who creates and writes all of the songs??who makes the 'live' sets work? You can't really say that if larry wasn't there that you would miss him,yes?no?
I'm not advocating that Bono sacks the 'dynamic duo' but they could be easily replaced:|
Please try not to swear to much in my direction in your replies,ta.

Ehmm Larry is behind all the bands backstage stuff. Any fan would know that! You remember live8 that band that lost their drummer led zepplin. They quit cos they did not have their drummer,the other drummer just couldnt live up to the other drumer. So if larry was not in u2 then that would break up the band!

Mullen4Prez said:
Ehmm Larry is behind all the bands backstage stuff. Any fan would know that! You remember live8 that band that lost their drummer led zepplin. They quit cos they did not have their drummer,the other drummer just couldnt live up to the other drumer. So if larry was not in u2 then that would break up the band!
I think once you've heard one drummer you've heard them all.Even if they are struggling to replace Larry (i find that hard cos there would be a massive queue to get his job) Bono could always buy a drum machine.

Its easy to say that but I backed up my point with led zepplin. How the drummer left or died or whatever happened. The other drummer could not fill the boots of led zepplins. No one can fill larrys place. Every drummer is unique.

Another thing to bear in mind is that U2 have been a band together for over 2 decades. If larry and adam did leave/were sacked/died maybe Bono and the edge would be able to manage with session musicians but would they feel as comfortable working with them? Would they be able to get their points across over how they wanted a song to sound as easily? Also, to play together live well takes a lot of practice. U2 have been together a long time and it shows in their live performances, to borrow the words of a critic their live performances are 'tight' and professional.

I'm not saying this couldn't be achieved with new musicians but it would take time. Also, we don't really know what goes on in the recording process, for all we know Larry and adam could be the first ones to say "this would sound better with this change of bass here" or "it would sound horrible, Bono, if the drum beat increased then" and so on.

Adam and Larry are essential to the band and its success. The 4 work of each other and u can see there comradely when they play live. If Adam or Larry or both would be replaced by someone else the spark that is U2 would be no more.

You think U2's existence depends on Larry :s? Ah bollocks to that.....:wink:

Seriously though, I'm sure all the REM fans would have argued (prior to Bill Berry's departure) that the survival of the band would depend on all 4 members sticking around.
Don't tell me that Larry is far superior to Bill Berry either, cos that's just bullshit....we all know that they're both great drummers. BB also wrote Everybody Hurts which has to be as good a testament to his contribution to the band, as anything else.

Unless you can convince me that Larry's contribution to the band's material is so huge and that his drumming skills are unmatched, that the demise of the band is inevitable without him....I stand by my "you can't be a real fan" stance.

and of course bsb seems to know exactly what happens in the studio/backstage/live/anytime with u2 :|

Well one way to prove this point or disprove is listen to the Sydney boot when that Bass tech took Adam's spot for the night.

And compare to the Live From Sydney tape or boot, I think that would work.

MsMofoGone said:

Indeed ... rather pointless !!
But this is what BSB always does ... most of us are used to it by now !! :wink:
As for U2 ... one 'COULD NOT BE' without the other !! :bow:
I never post pointless threads....never:| Anyway no one ever replies to them:( .I just feel that a drummer's role in a band is just to keep the beat......nothing more nothing less.

boystupidboy said:

I never post pointless threads....never:|
Anyway no one ever replies to them:(

Seriously, you're contradicting yourself there !! :laugh:

Originally posted by boystupidboy
I just feel that a drummer's role in a band is just to keep the beat......nothing more nothing less.

Well, that's just fine and dandy, as your entitled to your own opinion !! :up:
But Larry does alot more than what you want to think. An absolutely GREAT band member who contributes ideas for their song music and as always is the member who started the band in the first place ... :wink:

MsMofoGone said:

Seriously, you're contradicting yourself there !! :laugh:

Hardly...just because you don't get many replies to a thread, it doesn't make it less of a pointless or less worthwhile topic than other threads. Just thinking of all the appreciation and game threads: they're probably the most popular topics but are they're every bit as pointless as other threads.

MsMofoGone said:
But Larry does alot more than what you want to think. An absolutely GREAT band member who contributes ideas for their song music and as always is the member who started the band in the first place ...

No-one is disputing the fact that Larry contributes ideas for U2's music but that doesn't prove that he is indispensable to the band. As for your point about him starting the band...:shrug:

Originally posted by corner

Hardly...just because you don't get many replies to a thread, it doesn't make it less of a pointless or less worthwhile topic than other threads. Just thinking of all the appreciation and game threads: they're probably the most popular topics but are they're every bit as pointless as other threads.

His threads are somewhat pointless at times because of the fact they are usually closed by the moderators ... that is the point I was making here !! Not all of his threads, only some !! The fact that he says he never posts pointless threads and then says no one posts in THEM anyway ... is what is contradicting !!
As for the game threads ... they are regarding U2's music, lyrics and songs and it shows what people know about that in general ... also, if people don't choose to play those games then of course, they don't have to post in those threads. It is everyone's own choice !! The same goes for the appreciation threads ... they are NOT pointless as people just post why they appreciate the topic that is mentioned !!

No-one is disputing the fact that Larry contributes ideas for U2's music but that doesn't prove that he is indispensable to the band. As for your point about him starting the band...:shrug:

Bono has stated how each member is an important member of U2 and how the band would not exist without the other !! Larry indeed started U2 as it was his idea to hang up that notice on the school bulletin board about starting a band and the meeting took place at Larry's house in his kitchen ... Larry has indeed mentioned how after that meeting Bono took over as the leader and Larry was renagated to the back !! :wink:

This questions needs to be reversed, its Larry fxxxxxg band isn't it, hes the one to sack members!

So, if Bono and Edge were fired, would Larry and Adam be able to continue?

Off course they would, we'd get an album of Mission Impossible songs...

MsMofoGone said:

As for the game threads ... they are regarding U2's music, lyrics and songs and it shows what people know about that in general ... also, if people don't choose to play those games then of course, they don't have to post in those threads. It is everyone's own choice !! The same goes for the appreciation threads ... they are NOT pointless as people just post why they appreciate the topic that is mentioned !!

Yep, fair enough :up:

I guess I was trying to say that the less 'popular' threads are not necessarily less interesting or pointless in subject matter, than some of the more popular threads like the name games and appreciation topics.

MsMofoGone said:

Bono has stated how each member is an important member of U2 and how the band would not exist without the other !! Larry indeed started U2 as it was his idea to hang up that notice on the school bulletin board about starting a band and the meeting took place at Larry's house in his kitchen ... Larry has indeed mentioned how after that meeting Bono took over as the leader and Larry was renagated to the back !! :wink:

Sorry, I didn't mean to express my doubt over this matter. I agree 100% with the above. The 'shrug smilie' was supposed to convey how I couldn't see why Larry's founder status should dictate how indispensable he is today.

DPrinceNY said:
Adam and Larry are essential to the band and its success. The 4 work of each other and u can see there comradely when they play live. If Adam or Larry or both would be replaced by someone else the spark that is U2 would be no more.
:yes:

Sorry, I didn't mean to express my doubt over this matter.

No problem !! :wink:

The 'shrug smilie' was supposed to convey how I couldn't see why Larry's founder status should dictate how indispensable he is today.

I totally misunderstood your shrug smiley ... thank you for that explanation !! :up:

I still fail to see any valid argument that support larry's/Adam's future involvement in the band.I reckon they should used the drummer from Def Leppard (he would provide hours of entertaining posting) and employ the Bass guitarist/lead singer from level 42,Mark King i think his name was.At least he could sing a bit:|

Adam and Larry help make U2 what it is. They have their own unique styles of playing. Besides, roughly half the stuff U2 write comes out of jam sessions with the entire band participating.

Back
Top Bottom