New album talk: I heard that it was big but this... is really big

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last song (North Star) wasn't in the soundtrack of the movie, why would this one be? U2 enjoys not releasing material. Why release music and make money when you can not release it and not make money?

Hard to say. Doing a little research, I've found that some movie soundtracks come out a few weeks before the film, some around the same time, and some a few weeks after the film. It seems there's no real rhyme or reason to it. Of course, that's just the official soundtrack. Like you said, I'd expect the song to be released in some way before that. :shrug:

What I heard sounds really interesting and promising, so I'm hoping sooner rather than later.

Awesome! Thanks for the info! This means we could be pleasantly surprised by an earlier release. Here is to hoping!

Anyone else picking up a Window in the Skies vibe, or is it just me?

If anything, I'm more pleased that this is written specifically for the film, leaving 12 more mysteries for the actual album. Hopefully.

Here's what I wrote in another thread:

The part I find really amusing is that everyone seems to be forgetting that all the recent pre-album songs U2 have released have really sounded nothing like the albums that followed. When U2 released The Ground Beneath Her Feet before ATYCLB, everyone thought that's what the album would sound like -- until they heard 'Beautiful Day' of course. And then when U2 released 'Electrical Storm', everyone thought that's what Atomic Bomb would sound like -- until they heard 'Vertigo'. And then U2 released 'Window in the Skies', and everyone thought this is what the next album would sound like -- until they heard the clips from No Line on The Horizon. The point is, U2 loves to throw their fans off with a pre-album song that sounds nothing like the album....or maybe, better put, they relish in the opportunity to release material that didn't fit the album, and use it to get some buzz about the new album, while at the same time, surprising their fans with something completely different than that pre-album material. This has been U2's history throughout the past 10 years, so why would it be any different this time?

Gatsby had an original U2 song in it (albeit in cover form) and I thought that it was fantastic (although many critics disagreed). Does that count?

I'm confused (easy to do).

What U2 song is in Gatsby? If you are referring to Jack White's cover of "Love Is Blindness", then I wouldn't count that as original or U2.

And there's these comments about Broken Bells. The only Broken Bells I know of is the last Danger Mouse recording. So again, what U2?

As for this actual new U2 song used in the trailer, I have to agree with those who say it is FAR too reminiscent of U2's recent work. It sounds like it could have been on ATYCLB. It has a ring of "Walk On" and "Sometimes...". While it may indeed be a brilliant song, nothing revolutionary here.

Then again, I'm not sure how this whole "revolutionary" rumor started. All Bono ever said was something about "God walking into the room". That doesn't mean a revolutionary new sound. Perhaps we created our own expectations monster.

The last song (North Star) wasn't in the soundtrack of the movie, why would this one be? U2 enjoys not releasing material. Why release music and make money when you can not release it and not make money?

:lol: :applaud:

No reason at all. Other than Coldplay's last two albums have sold about twice as many copies as NLOTH, and they've notched up a score of Top 10 hits (whereas U2 haven't had a proper hit since Vertigo.)

You're right. Now people will hate them even more.

I really liked their first two albums, but it went downwards with X&Y, IMO. I hope U2 sounds nothing like them when the new album comes out. I'd rather have a U2 album without hits than a Coldplay-sounding album with hits. But that's just me. Maybe Bono would disagree :shrug:

I'm just in awe at people not getting this for what it is..a movie soundtrack song..it's going to be an epic sweeping poignant film by all accounts and just listening to the clip with the film dialogue juxtaposed..it fits. Really looking forward to it. And it probably has nothing to do with the album, probably. All good.

:up:

Absolutely. Whatever you think of this song, it fits contextually. And it is highly unlikely that it is indicative of the sort of music we'll hear on the new album.

This a strange markeing move,to say the least.A new song just 3 months before the first single of a new album?

a) They are pretty confident that Ordinary love will have zero radio airplay, therefore it won't kill any kind of buzz for the premiere of a lead single of the new album
or
b), We are more than 3 months away of hearing the first single of the album.

This is all Danny lanios fault!!! He said the music or album was like AB!! He lied to us with NLOTH too!!

So now the bands producers are liars!

This a strange markeing move,to say the least.A new song just 3 months before the first single of a new album?

a) They are pretty confident that Ordinary love will have zero radio airplay, therefore it won't kill any kind of buzz for the premiere of a lead single of the new album
or

Like The Ground Beneath Her Feet before Beautiful Day in 2000.

The part I find really amusing is that everyone seems to be forgetting that all the recent pre-album songs U2 have released have really sounded nothing like the albums that followed. When U2 released The Ground Beneath Her Feet before ATYCLB, everyone thought that's what the album would sound like -- until they heard 'Beautiful Day' of course. And then when U2 released 'Electrical Storm', everyone thought that's what Atomic Bomb would sound like -- until they heard 'Vertigo'. And then U2 released 'Window in the Skies', and everyone thought this is what the next album would sound like -- until they heard the clips from No Line on The Horizon.

Well, yeah. Except both ES and WITS came over two years before the album arrived, so it doesn't really feel the same. We're talking months here. As for TGBHF it's true that it doesn't sound exactly like the album, but I mean, it's not that far off. Far from Beautiful Day perhaps, but not songs like Kite or New York, IMO. Going from Pop the song is a clear step towards the style of ATYCLB. So while they may have wanted to do something different with this new song opposed to a song on the upcoming album I feel it's likely that some of the mood and style of that stuff is spilling over on this as well.

But you know, we don't know yet. That's the cool thing. Ahh, I love pre-album discussion! :heart:

While I don't think TGBHF is good at the end of ATYCLB, I do consider it to be in the same body of work as that album. It fits well in the 2nd half of the record somewhere, just not at the end, like they placed it on foreign versions.

Likewise, I consider Fast Cars part of HTDAAB.

I'm sure Ordinary Love will come as a bonus track or something with the new album.

At the time Bono wanted TGBHF to be released in single but the record company didn't... It could have been a big record!

or

This is a very prescient point. I was wandering about this myself. The one note of optimism I'd draw is they must be very confident the first single sounds NOTHING like OL. That's something to take tremendous solace in, isn't it?

or

Or maybe they think it will be a huge hit and "Ordinary Love" is part of the new album.

We don't know...

or

Can someone explain this theory to me?

Is there some rule about 90 days between singles, you might want to tell all the other bands out there.

Or does this new rule only apply to those whose longevity is in danger?

Got this link from @U2.

As die-hard fans all over the world flood online forums to predict what the new sound will be like, the singer has decided to reveal the inspiration the band has been tapping into.

And it all goes back to the beginning.

"At the start of making this album we listened to the music that made us want to form a band in the first place," he told the Sunday Independent.

"We visited everything from punk rock, The Ramones, Talking Heads, right through to electronic stuff, so it's all the stuff that made us want to be in a band.

"And the sound of the new album? Well we kind of put it in a blender. When we make an album, usually it still ends up sounding like us, which I guess is a good or a bad thing depending on where you stand," he joked.

"But with this one, this is not a version of us you have ever heard before, that's for sure."

The singer and global aid activist said the maxim that is driving the band to work so hard on the record is the feeling that: "We don't want to let the people down who have given us this life."

So does the band feel pressure from the anticipation that has built over the four years since the last album release?

"No," is his quick reply.

"I don't feel the pressure. The only pressure to make music now is for ourselves in a sense that we don't want to let down the people who have given us this life. It's not really about how many songs we put out, it is all about how great they are."

The band has been hard at work in recent months on their first album since 2009's No Line on the Horizon, scheduled to be released early next year.

The album will consist of 12 songs and will be finished by the end of November.

'We're going back to roots for new album' - Independent.ie

The recent flow of info from the band makes me think that Bono wasn't necessarily gagged, but they weren't totally sure what timeframe they could push the album out in.

The pick up in tempo pleases me.

I'm intrigued by the idea of an album that has all the things that inspired U2 but somehow doesn't sound like what they've done before. That's a head-scratcher. :hmm:

The recent flow of info from the band makes me think that Bono wasn't necessarily gagged, but they weren't totally sure what timeframe they could push the album out in.

The pick up in tempo pleases me.

What tempo ? We still know as much as before about the release date and/or the first single. And given they're just promoting the Mandela movie, I don't think they will want to interlap Ordinary love with the lead single.

"And the sound of the new album? Well we kind of put it in a blender. When we make an album, usually it still ends up sounding like us, which I guess is a good or a bad thing depending on where you stand," he joked.

"But with this one, this is not a version of us you have ever heard before, that's for sure."

Okay...so Bono and Edge are saying different, while Adam said mix of old U2 with the maturity of 00's U2. Wisely, Larry remains silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom