New album talk: I heard that it was big but this... is really big

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My nutty astrologist source tells me that Libra and Aries have fabulous chemistry, but this is honestly a little weird .:D Obviously a real life meeting would be one for the ages.

If movie comes out late November then do you think we will get a leak of this song a couple weeks before? Either way we will get at least a new song before end of year. And all those worried about this being an indication of what the album will be like, I think this was a one off for the film and not at all related to the album. Possibly a beside of the album at best. I still love the song but hard to judge on a shitty clip

If movie comes out late November then do you think we will get a leak of this song a couple weeks before?

Hard to say. Doing a little research, I've found that some movie soundtracks come out a few weeks before the film, some around the same time, and some a few weeks after the film. It seems there's no real rhyme or reason to it. Of course, that's just the official soundtrack. Like you said, I'd expect the song to be released in some way before that. :shrug:

What I heard sounds really interesting and promising, so I'm hoping sooner rather than later.

I'm just in awe at people not getting this for what it is..a movie soundtrack song..it's going to be an epic sweeping poignant film by all accounts and just listening to the clip with the film dialogue juxtaposed..it fits. Really looking forward to it. And it probably has nothing to do with the album, probably. All good.

Not surprising that it's the usual people blowing the negative trumpet, and also a little crazy people saying it's U2 sounding like coldplay when many say coldplay are a U2 tribute band

gvox said:
I'm just in awe at people not getting this for what it is..a movie soundtrack song..it's going to be an epic sweeping poignant film by all accounts and just listening to the clip with the film dialogue juxtaposed..it fits. Really looking forward to it. And it probably has nothing to do with the album, probably. All good.

Agreed but unfortunately many on this site are either massive trolls or lost most interest in U2

Two things keep getting thrown around that are inaccurate: that it is sung in falsetto, and that it sounds like Coldplay.

It sounds nothing like Coldplay, it's like people needed something to bitch about and this was the easiest barb someone could think of and other people started piling it on as well.

There's a difference between using the high end of your range and singing in falsetto. This is in modal voice, the register that makes up the majority of a singer/speaker's range and is utilized the vast majority of the time, which overlaps with falsetto in pitch quite a bit. The register isn't determined by pitch alone (though even if we were going by pitch this is hardly "Lemon" territory for Bono) but by the way the sound is produced, basically modal voice sounds fuller and stronger because it utilizes the vibrations of your full vocal cords while falsetto uses only small portions of them, which is why falsetto sounds more strained or airy by comparison.

Two things keep getting thrown around that are inaccurate: that it is sung in falsetto, and that it sounds like Coldplay. It sounds nothing like Coldplay, it's like people needed something to bitch about and this was the easiest barb someone could think of and other people started piling it on as well. There's a difference between using the high end of your range and singing in falsetto. This is in modal voice, the register that makes up the majority of a singer/speaker's range and is utilized the vast majority of the time, which overlaps with falsetto in pitch quite a bit. The register isn't determined by pitch alone (though even if we were going by pitch this is hardly "Lemon" territory for Bono) but by the way the sound is produced, basically modal voice sounds fuller and stronger because it utilizes the vibrations of your full vocal cords while falsetto uses only small portions of them, which is why falsetto sounds more strained or airy by comparison.

He clearly uses falsetto in parts of the song.

And it obviously sounds like Coldplay. Because Coldplay invented piano music, duh.

I agree. Coldplay have always tried to sound like U2. Why the fuck would U2 try to sound like Coldplay?!!! U2 have been around alot longer that Coldplay and U2 will always sound like U2.

For me the new song has some similarities to Electrical Storm. Will have to listen to the whole song as I didn't like the 1 minute snippet at first but after a few more listens its growing on me.

If we're saying that U2 sounds like a certain band, the clip reminded me more of Snow Patrol than Coldplay.

I agree. Coldplay have always tried to sound like U2. Why the fuck would U2 try to sound like Coldplay?!!!

No reason at all. Other than Coldplay's last two albums have sold about twice as many copies as NLOTH, and they've notched up a score of Top 10 hits (whereas U2 haven't had a proper hit since Vertigo.)

I pulled over on the way home from work at 5.30 Thursday night to log in and listen. And here's what I decided: I don't have enough information to form a valid opinion yet. I'm sure as bloody fuck not going to base my estimation of the new album on a 30 second snippet from a song that may or may not have anything to do with that fabled new album. Hell, I don't even feel like have enough to judge the snippet by. So I shall refrain from espousing any premature misconceptions yet continue to visit this thread for my own--and your--amusement.

You're welcome.

I pulled over on the way home from work at 5.30 Thursday night to log in and listen. And here's what I decided: I don't have enough information to form a valid opinion yet. I'm sure as bloody fuck not going to base my estimation of the new album on a 30 second snippet from a song that may or may not have anything to do with that fabled new album. Hell, I don't even feel like have enough to judge the snippet by. So I shall refrain from espousing any premature misconceptions yet continue to visit this thread for my own--and your--amusement. You're welcome.

Thanks, baby.

I pulled over on the way home from work at 5.30 Thursday night to log in and listen. And here's what I decided: I don't have enough information to form a valid opinion yet. I'm sure as bloody fuck not going to base my estimation of the new album on a 30 second snippet from a song that may or may not have anything to do with that fabled new album. Hell, I don't even feel like have enough to judge the snippet by. So I shall refrain from espousing any premature misconceptions yet continue to visit this thread for my own--and your--amusement.

You're welcome.

:tsk: You obviously haven't the faintest clue how Interference works.

Is "Ordinary Love" a tendence for the new album? In MY opinion, "OL" sounds quite similar to "Every Breaking Wave" and "North Star".

But, as a Mandela's soundtrack title, we can compare it with "Hands", "Winter" and "Ground beneath..." and, again, for ME, they're all quite similar and they're not included on a studio album.

So... have U2 a "soundtrack way" for writing songs? Or will be the new album a "Songs of Ascent" style?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom