New album talk - album coming when fish start riding bicycles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be the date it's released for airplay?

No. Because a German station won't get the first play. That one will be in Dave Fanning's radio show on RTE2, and believe me, they advertise for it. Happened last time, so everyone listened in to hear Boots and NLOTH2.

Is anyone else a little surprised that the news of the photoshoot and the whole band being together lately does not seem to be making it out of the fan sites? A couple of months ago Alan Carr and Rolling Stone made note of these things but now they are not. We've seen them pick up on lots of tiny stuff from the fan sites, so is this intentional silence-keeping on the part of the press?

I'd imagine McGuinness has strong-armed the global media into silence. With the threat of adding more bodies to the pile already hidden beneath Principle Management.

I'm guessing it's a little bit of both the band's silence and the fact that the media is probably getting exhausted by trying to figure out a release date as well.

No. Because a German station won't get the first play. That one will be in Dave Fanning's radio show on RTE2, and believe me, they advertise for it. Happened last time, so everyone listened in to hear Boots and NLOTH2.

They're not claiming first play.. just that they're playing new U2 music that day

It's simple folks.. two possibilities here.

1. It's BS or information that was lost in-translation
2. Station was informed of pending single release, and someone blabbed

You bought every single from NLOTH? :ohmy:

Do their singles even come with any B-sides nowadays? I don't know. I can't even remember the last time I bought a single. It's only about albums for me.

I have all the CD singles from NLOTH too. "Magnificent" was even available as a CD single in the U.S. Multiple versions of the CD singles were releases. Some contained nothing but remixes as "b-sides". Others contained live versions of other songs (true for both "Magnificent" and "Crazy Tonight"). GOYB had the alternative version of LOTH (the song). GOYB was the only CD to feature a "new" song, but it was just an alternative version of NLOTH (the song). No covers or new U2 songs appeared on any of the CD singles, unlike in past eras.

A case was available that was to house the 4 CD singles that were anticipated being released. However, the failure of any single to really take off and the lower sales of NLOTH, the album, seemed to have created the reason to limit the album to just 3 singles.

If U2 do not release any CD single this time around (anywhere around the world), then I hope they make what would have been a b-side (alternative version, new song, or special live performance) available on iTunes. In fact, I think it would entice sales to have a single available and along with it, the buyer gets another free song.

Is anyone else a little surprised that the news of the photoshoot and the whole band being together lately does not seem to be making it out of the fan sites? A couple of months ago Alan Carr and Rolling Stone made note of these things but now they are not. We've seen them pick up on lots of tiny stuff from the fan sites, so is this intentional silence-keeping on the part of the press?

I'm guessing it's a little bit of both the band's silence and the fact that the media is probably getting exhausted by trying to figure out a release date as well.

Alternatively, it could have been a photoshoot that has not much to do with the album at all..maybe just a single..if that..

It was decidedly a low-key affair and they promptly bolted back to Ireland. Something tells me that`s not nearly what they intend to do if shooting for the album. But that`s just my speculation..

Yeah. It's not like there were a lot. I'm kind of a completist with my U2 collection. ;)

I honestly liked a lot of the remixes that passed as "b-sides" this time around, which was a pleasant surprise.

Glad I'm not the only one. :wink:

NLOTH2 is still one of my favourite U2 songs ever.

Yeah. It's not like there were a lot. I'm kind of a completist with my U2 collection. ;) I honestly liked a lot of the remixes that passed as "b-sides" this time around, which was a pleasant surprise.

The Fred Falke remix is better than the album version of Magnificent IMO.

Alternatively, it could have been a photoshoot that has not much to do with the album at all..maybe just a single..if that..

It was decidedly a low-key affair and they promptly bolted back to Ireland. Something tells me that`s not nearly what they intend to do if shooting for the album. But that`s just my speculation..

I also thought that maybe that photo shoot was for something other than the album, maybe magazine article???

Why doesn't anyone (beside the one or two people who have mentioned it) think the photos could have something to do with a Rattle and Hum re-release? How far ahead of time did U2 announce their previous anniversary issues?

Why doesn't anyone (beside the one or two people who have mentioned it) think the photos could have something to do with a Rattle and Hum re-release? How far ahead of time did U2 announce their previous anniversary issues?
why would they do a new photo shoot for rattle and hum makes no sense they didn't do one for any re release

That's true, I did think of that as well but maybe they are doing something a little different to promote it, or for a magazine write up on it. But does anyone remember how far ahead we heard them talk about past reissues?

The general feeling around here is that there will be no R&H anniversary edition, and I just wondered if it's because it's too late for them to announce it?

plastic bags at early 360 shows in July began advertising Unforgettable Fire for an October release. Achtung Baby was awhile in advance I think. Amazon had listings for UF in August: Three Unforgettable Fire Remasters ... at least on Amazon

I don't think there will be a R&H anniversary edition, it's too late to announce it, IMO. There haven't been any news or information on such a project. It would also be another distraction that might cause further delay of the new album. I think most U2 fans don't want another super-expensive uber deluxe edition of stuff released 25 years ago, but a new album.

I honestly think these pictures were taken for some kind of news coverage in connection with a new U2 release.

plastic bags at early 360 shows in July began advertising Unforgettable Fire for an October release. Achtung Baby was awhile in advance I think. Amazon had listings for UF in August: Three Unforgettable Fire Remasters ... at least on Amazon

Thanks. I remember the bags! So that was about 3 months. I guess it's about now or never time for R&H then. Unless they actually are doing something different this time around.

That's true, I did think of that as well but maybe they are doing something a little different to promote it, or for a magazine write up on it. But does anyone remember how far ahead we heard them talk about past reissues?

The general feeling around here is that there will be no R&H anniversary edition, and I just wondered if it's because it's too late for them to announce it?

I don't know, do you think they would do big coverage with a new photoshoot for R&H? Since it was seen as their most hubristic release, doing new photos that visually reference the old might be a risk of sorts.

I think most U2 fans don't want another super-expensive uber deluxe edition of stuff released 25 years ago, but a new album.

I don't know...that Achtung release was pretty sweet, and I loved the UF and JT remasters. There's some good songs from R&H era that we know haven't seen the light of day, and I'd be curious to see what a full band She's a Mystery and Can't Help Falling would sound like, as well as Wild Irish Rose and the Cockburn cover.

I want to have my cake and eat it too, last unicorn!

don't know think people are loosing their minds

Ok yeah it's losing your mind to think the band might release an anniversary edition of an album on its 25th year. :shrug:

Popacrobat answered my question about the time frame already though, so thanks again for that. :up:

:hmm: It would explain Bono's choice of outfit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom