New album: Spring 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Kite is not on a synth then I need my ears syringing. The intro doesn't even sound like real strings.:eyebrow:

I guess none of you heard the BBC interview?

During the recording of HTDAAB, an orchestra was brought in for several parts, including a string section. I would bet almost oh a million dollars that Edge wrote the parts and handed them the music and then they played it and now we hear strings and la di da.

gabrielvox said:
I guess none of you heard the BBC interview?

During the recording of HTDAAB, an orchestra was brought in for several parts, including a string section. I would bet almost oh a million dollars that Edge wrote the parts and handed them the music and then they played it and now we hear strings and la di da.

I remember hearing a few things, including this:

"When probed on this by presenter Pat Kenny, Bono told how the band had just spent time in London working on three new songs with a lavish fifty piece orchestra, only to find that the songs were ‘shite’. Edge was more optimistic by saying that it’s merely 'back to the drawing board' on the tracks in question."

And also there were reports of Bono tossing them out with some old pizza boxes. They didn't use them.

I'm sure there are others who remember this because it was funny at the time, the article quoted Bono as calling them "shite" just as the one above does.

gabrielvox said:
I would bet almost oh a million dollars that Edge wrote the parts and handed them the music and then they played it and now we hear strings and la di da.

yeah? even when edge doesn't read music? or notate (legit write) music?

get your checkbook out.

well, since they've announced the 2006 leg of the tour, I would like to retract my prediction and give a new one:

new u2 album: Fall, 2009.

This time I'm serious: 2006 is out. there will be no zooropa style album released. those who think so are nuts, although I'd be happy happy if there was.
then they're gonna take all of 2007 off.
in early 2008 they'll start getting together on ideas, demoing, maybe start recording by the summer. by the time the album is done, it'll be spring 2009, and then they'll be preping for all the PR and the tour and whatever else, which brings us to:

JOFO said:
well, since they've announced the 2006 leg of the tour, I would like to retract my prediction and give a new one:

This time I'm serious: 2006 is out. there will be no zooropa style album released. those who think so are nuts, although I'd be happy happy if there was.
in early 2008 they'll start getting together on ideas, demoing, maybe start recording by the summer. by the time the album is done, it'll be spring 2009, and then they'll be preping for all the PR and the tour and whatever else, which brings us to:

I agree :|

2008 if they have problems having the right producer like Bomb.

That said, if they're coming back to US/Europe, I can't imagine not having some sort of EP to justify it.

JOFO said:

ive said all along fall 2008, but fall 2009 is a good possibility too

U2girl said:

2008 if they have problems having the right producer like Bomb.

how is that going to happen? they're gonna be on tour through 2006. 2007 is out of the question; there is no zooropa left in them.

Irvine511 said:
i think they're going to crap out the flip side of Zooropa this spring -- where Zooropa was spacey this will be 10 rock songs, with maybe a ballad or two, songs that will kick hard and sound great in the stadiums they'll be playing next summer, and that will finally complete the back-to-basics trilogy, and they'll return to Dublin in the autumn of 2006 and plot their final trilogy.

ahem.

in light of the upcoming US stadium tour, i can't wait for the "grand madness of the Vertigo tour" album to be released in May/June of 2006.

:D

JOFO said:

how is that going to happen? they're gonna be on tour through 2006. 2007 is out of the question; there is no zooropa left in them.

Half-full kind of guy, huh?

2007 is definitely possible. 2006 would be a Zooropa type situation, which is also possible, although unlikely.

We don't know how long the tour will last, I think it will be over in Summer 2006 at the latest. If they will be back in US/Europe, I really think that would strongly suggest some new material in the shape of an EP.

Zooropa situation would mean a new album in between end of US leg and March 2006 dates for leg 4, not a release a year after the tour ends.

i don't know how they could continue a whole new leg in the US and (probably) Europe without a new album. HutDab is pretty much off the radar of the music scene, though the Grammies might help out and i sadly can't see OOTS (as much as i love it) breaking through.

also, if they are playing stadiums, they need to sell tickets so they get the "sold out" buzz -- i can't see enough interest to sell tickets outside of the NYC-Boston-Chicago markets that would guarantee that desperately needed full stadium *without* a good reason. they've got to have something new, something that puts them back in the near-ubiquity spotlight like in Fall of 2004.

hence, a new album, or EP. the Milan DVD isn't going to cut it. got to have new material to generate the buzz that's going to fill the staidia.

U2girl said:
We don't know how long the tour will last, I think it will be over in Summer 2006 at the latest. If they will be back in US/Europe, I really think that would strongly suggest some new material in the shape of an EP.

Zooropa situation would mean a new album in between end of US leg and March 2006 dates for leg 4, not a release a year after the tour ends.

or perhaps a new album in between the leg 4 dates and the supposed US summer stadium tour, though that'd kinda suck for the leg 4 people, just missing out on the new material. But think about it - if they worked on stuff between January and March and then April to June or whatever, they could maybe pull off an EP at least.

I really don't think they'll return to the US without something new. They'll either end the tour after leg 4 or release either an EP or an album before returning.

While I did agree that 2009 sounded like a good time for the next album I will retract what I said somewhat and say that IF a Summer 2006 stadium tour of North America and Europe is truely in the works then I agree that U2 would need to put out some kind of album. Coming back to play stadiums in markets where you've already played arenas within the past year without a new album? I can't really think of any living band that could do that.

Unless of course, the tabloids are right, and they're gonna anounce a stadium Farewell Tour. :reject:

All roads lead to 2008.

Right in time for the American elections and more Bono politicking for Africa.

I could see no situation without a substantial break after the tour. They took a year and a half off after Zoomerang, they took a year off after POPmart, they didn't take much of a break after Elevation, toss in all of the other circumstances, you are a optimistic fool to think there will be an album before 2008.

Let's assume U2 take the rest of 2006 off, very likely indeed.
If Vertigo ends in May, take 6 months off it's still holiday season, which they take off even when they are recording.

The new album sessions probably don't start until around Jan 2007. From there it's anybody's guess, but a good bet is that they don't record an album in 7 months to see it released by October or November.

Fall 2008 baby, prove me wrong U2, by all means.

I can see it now, a single to coincide with the elections, promotion and pimping, appearances at Clinton rallies etc.

Back
Top Bottom