new album scrapped? (msn uk)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrmn8rpoptart

War Child
http://news.entertainment.msn.co.uk/20040716_news_N34391.htm

U2 May Scrap Their Stolen Album!

U2 fear they may have to scrap their upcoming new album after a CD featuring a 'rough final cut' was stolen from their French studio.

An early copy of the quartet's follow-up to All That You Can't Leave Behind - which has the working title of Vertigo - was stolen from a studio in Nice while U2 were at a photo session. The band now believe copies will be leaked across the internet, making its original autumn release impossible.

"A large slice of two years' work lifted via a piece of round plastic. It doesn't seem credible but that's what's just happened to us...and it was my CD," admitted the Edge to NME; while Lucian Grainge, the head of Universal Music, added: "This matter is of great concern to us... The French police are being extremely helpful in this regard."

Just saw this, I hope the report isn't credible!:sad:

It's been several days since the album was stolen, and so far there isn't a trace of it anywhere on the internet. I can't possibly see how this will effect the album's release. Pirating music is just something that is a fact of life, especially when you are as popular as U2 and your album is so highly anticipated by everyone. I'll be very disapointed if the management/record company let this little scare throw off the entire album's schedule.

I am a little curious...why would scrapping the album spell the end of the band? I obviously hope they don't do it and I find it unlikely that they would do it, but you're telling me a six- or twelve-month delay means that U2 will just wither up and die? Bono remains as visible as ever, and U2 is, for better or worse, one of the most important and popular bands in the world. The relationships between the band members are stable, the fan base is absolutely churning for new work...what, exactly, is the problem?

This is rediculous.

Let's forgo millions upon millions of dollers because some random person stole a rough cut of some of our songs!

To me, scrapping the album means writing and recording a new batch of tunes. That would take U2 2-3 years. Which puts the album out 2006 or 2007. End of relevancy taking 6/7 years to release a new record. Done and done.

Of all the rumors floating around, this has got to be most hillarious! LOL!!!!!
Yeah.......right. they're going to scrap an
album they worked over 2 years on?!?

i actually heard that the band just broke up.

this is a sad day in music history.....

I can't believe that a DISCUSSION even exists over this nonsense. I mean, WTF?! This is an older article. I've seen it two days ago and I laughed so hard... It is just a case of greedy journalism.

That is the stupidest article I've ever read, and yes, I'm even including the tripe in the local newspaper.

Newspapers job=sell newspapers
selling newspapers=more $

this article is a bunch of crap...........
This has happened to U2 before and it stopped nothing!

Yeah...and that album in 1997...after those two songs were leaked. What was it called? Rock? Dance? Techno? Soul? RNB? Country? It had some kind of a name similar to a some kind of music direction...but I don't remember.

yeah, and this album being punk rock made on venus? i mean, come on! are we actually supposed to believe that U2 recorded this album on the planet venus?

Actually it was punk rock from Venus, not made on....but I get your point.

The band is not scrapping the album. Did they scrap Acthung Baby when those songs were leaked? Sure those were strictly demos, but come on why would they waste all the work they made on this album due to "ONE" lost CD. I'm sure it's not the MASTER CD (whatever that is), it was probably just a group of songs burnt in a particular order that the Edge was going back to his house to listen to and try to decide if he likes the track order.

Geez.......

msn needs something better to do with their time... there's no way they'd scrap an entire album. it would just be plain stupid. even if there is some base to msn's story, it was probably just released by the u2 camp as a threat to try and get the cd returned... a threat which will never be followed threw on... that, i'd bet the house on.

hmm.....maybe venus, besides the heat, isn't a bad place to live. better than france, i'm sure.

ok ppl MSN just MADE IT UP when they collected their information from the original source. There has been only one source of information in which every news report has derived their story from. MSN majorly manipulated it to make it sound more interesting, that's the only conclusion i can come up with. IT IS BULLSHIT. COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSHIT!!! :mad:

Axver said:
That is the stupidest article I've ever read, and yes, I'm even including the tripe in the local newspaper.
:lmao:
that good eh? must be like mine

if its demo cd then surely they would have back-ups on the computers in the studios anyway......

anyway, whoever stole it...your're being greedy!!

cass said:

that good eh? must be like mine

Well, I see you're in Australia, so you may have read the Gold Coast Bulletin. If yes, you know exactly what I'm talking about. I can't believe MSN just beat them for poor and totally sensationalist reporting.

why, WHY would they throw away two years of [hard] work?

The_acrobat said:
It's been several days since the album was stolen, and so far there isn't a trace of it anywhere on the internet. I can't possibly see how this will effect the album's release. Pirating music is just something that is a fact of life, especially when you are as popular as U2 and your album is so highly anticipated by everyone. I'll be very disapointed if the management/record company let this little scare throw off the entire album's schedule.

You have a point, it would've shown up somewhere on-line by now

Back
Top Bottom