New album rumors and speculations - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 12:45 AM
New album rumors and speculations

So I know its way too early to be concerned with the next album but:

Everyone post any rumors or info about the next album: any rumors of the band writing...recording plans....stuff the band has mentioned, etc..

Old 02-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Edge has been saying Bono has been experimenting with Mongolian folk music, while Adam has been creating these twenty minute long psychedelic pieces with a triangle and a tuba.

Edge himself has become quite interested in metal so he's learning how to do death growls, but he plans on being innovative and doing the death growls over ambient music.

The next album's going to be one exciting mishmash of styles!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

From @U2:

ALBUM NAME: unknown

PRODUCER(s): unknown

ALBUM RELEASE DATE: unknown

FORMATS: unknown

TRACKLIST: unknown

POSSIBLE SONGS MENTIONED:

These are songs that have been mentioned in the buildup to U2's next studio for possible inclusion:

* "North Star," a song from the How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions which included a guest organ appearance from Michael W. Smith. In this CCM article, Smith describes the song as a tribute to Johnny Cash.
* "Mercy", one of the last songs to get cut from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, described in Blender magazine as "a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish"
* "Lead Me In The Way I Should Go" -- a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in this February, 2003, interview with Bono in Grammy Magazine
* "You Can't Give Away Your Heart" - a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in SPIN magazine

LATEST NEWS

January 26, 2006: In an interview with the Associated Press, Bono shared a few comments about making the next album:

"I happen to be in really a truly great band, and experimentation has been the lifeblood of this band. We of course will look and are looking across at hip hop and see the amazing innovation in the studio...I don't know where we're going to go with all our new information and all our new friends...but it will be somewhere very special or you won't hear about it, because there's no reason for you to put out an album now unless its very special. You know, we don't need the cash."

January 23, 2006: In an interview with Benjamin Wagner (working for MTV News), Edge had this to say about the status of a new album:

"We haven't really got to the point where we're thinking seriously about the next record. We're at that wonderful place where we1re just experimenting, and trying things, just really letting our imaginations go. It's my favorite phase of making an album because there are no constraints, you just write and explore possibilities. That's where I am now: loads of possibilities, but nothing concrete."

December 3, 2005: In the January issue of Q Magazine, Bono talks about plans for the next album.

Q: Are you really recording a new U2 album in 2006?

Bono: Yes, I want to serve these men. I want to go back to working for them. They're dignified men and we're on to something here. Edge has never played like this before. We need to record some songs where we don't respect the conventions too much. Let Edge run amok. And Larry. If we concentrate we might knock another extraordinary couple of albums out.

September 21, 2005: In an interview with U2.com, The Edge talks about the next record.

So, are you writing new material on Garageband for U2 as well?

We are writing all the time. I sort of write music for recreational purposes, that is my fun! Unfortunately it doesn’t necesarily mean that it is all good but some of this stuff I’m happy with. There are some things I’m very excited about.

I’m already starting to think about the next record, I love being at the beginnings of getting something going, all the possibilities. And I think it is a very exciting time in rock n roll. Hip-Hop had its way in terms of breaking new ground and for a while there it dominated the creative zeitgeist but now I feel that bands and rock’n’roll ideas are back with a vengeance. There are so many great bands, so many new ideas in rock n roll, in guitar-based music. It’s wonderful to see, like some of the bands we have had on the road with us, and I am very inspired by all that.

December 15, 2004: In an interview with Rolling Stone, Bono suggests there might be a new U2 album in 2006.

RS: You've talked about how this album has brought U2 full circle, back to the feeling of empowerment on Boy. Does mean that U2 has an assured future, and that we can expect another album before, say, 2007?

Bono: I think there will be a record in 2006. Because we're on it now.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

I am not getting my hopes up I am just waiting for 2007. If miracles do happen then I would say late oct/nov 2006.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:46 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 03:45 PM
i heard something about pan pipes and bagpipes!!!!!
Old 02-14-2006, 11:54 PM   #6
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 11:45 PM
there's a rumour that we might have a forum just for this
Old 02-15-2006, 01:39 AM   #7
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
there's a rumour that we might have a forum just for this
Edge's cousin said that. I don't believe it.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-15-2006, 09:07 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:45 AM
2006 seemed like what they were shooting for last year, now we'd be lucky to get one spring 2007, but it would be amazing in 2006...
Old 02-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

More Cowbell.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 05:45 AM
More banjo!!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by one4u2
From @U2:

ALBUM NAME: unknown

PRODUCER(s): unknown

ALBUM RELEASE DATE: unknown

FORMATS: unknown

TRACKLIST: unknown

POSSIBLE SONGS MENTIONED:

These are songs that have been mentioned in the buildup to U2's next studio for possible inclusion:

* "North Star," a song from the How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions which included a guest organ appearance from Michael W. Smith. In this CCM article, Smith describes the song as a tribute to Johnny Cash.
* "Mercy", one of the last songs to get cut from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, described in Blender magazine as "a six-and-a-half-minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish"
* "Lead Me In The Way I Should Go" -- a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in this February, 2003, interview with Bono in Grammy Magazine
* "You Can't Give Away Your Heart" - a contender for Atomic Bomb first mentioned in SPIN magazine

LATEST NEWS

January 26, 2006: In an interview with the Associated Press, Bono shared a few comments about making the next album:

"I happen to be in really a truly great band, and experimentation has been the lifeblood of this band. We of course will look and are looking across at hip hop and see the amazing innovation in the studio...I don't know where we're going to go with all our new information and all our new friends...but it will be somewhere very special or you won't hear about it, because there's no reason for you to put out an album now unless its very special. You know, we don't need the cash."

January 23, 2006: In an interview with Benjamin Wagner (working for MTV News), Edge had this to say about the status of a new album:

"We haven't really got to the point where we're thinking seriously about the next record. We're at that wonderful place where we1re just experimenting, and trying things, just really letting our imaginations go. It's my favorite phase of making an album because there are no constraints, you just write and explore possibilities. That's where I am now: loads of possibilities, but nothing concrete."

December 3, 2005: In the January issue of Q Magazine, Bono talks about plans for the next album.

Q: Are you really recording a new U2 album in 2006?

Bono: Yes, I want to serve these men. I want to go back to working for them. They're dignified men and we're on to something here. Edge has never played like this before. We need to record some songs where we don't respect the conventions too much. Let Edge run amok. And Larry. If we concentrate we might knock another extraordinary couple of albums out.

September 21, 2005: In an interview with U2.com, The Edge talks about the next record.

So, are you writing new material on Garageband for U2 as well?

We are writing all the time. I sort of write music for recreational purposes, that is my fun! Unfortunately it doesn’t necesarily mean that it is all good but some of this stuff I’m happy with. There are some things I’m very excited about.

I’m already starting to think about the next record, I love being at the beginnings of getting something going, all the possibilities. And I think it is a very exciting time in rock n roll. Hip-Hop had its way in terms of breaking new ground and for a while there it dominated the creative zeitgeist but now I feel that bands and rock’n’roll ideas are back with a vengeance. There are so many great bands, so many new ideas in rock n roll, in guitar-based music. It’s wonderful to see, like some of the bands we have had on the road with us, and I am very inspired by all that.

December 15, 2004: In an interview with Rolling Stone, Bono suggests there might be a new U2 album in 2006.

RS: You've talked about how this album has brought U2 full circle, back to the feeling of empowerment on Boy. Does mean that U2 has an assured future, and that we can expect another album before, say, 2007?

Bono: I think there will be a record in 2006. Because we're on it now.
Hey, pretty good Cliff's Notes!

Lov12113, this forum (Where The Album Has No Name) is dedicated to thoughts & speculation & rumors about the next album. So, most threads in here should address what you're looking for.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:59 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

more "punk rock made on venus"
Old 02-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #13
The Fly

I heard rumors that they may be experimenting with hip hop. How valid that is I have no idea
Old 02-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Babyface_20
I heard rumors that they may be experimenting with hip hop. How valid that is I have no idea
read this thread for all the misinterpretations, etc., from that quote:

http://forum.interference.com/t153083.html
Old 02-15-2006, 05:17 PM   #15
Refugee

I think people have misunderstood and exagerated what Bono was trying to say with the "hiphop" quote. He mentioned it as a possibility and that he liked it, not that the next album was gonna be hiphop. Also HTDAAB doesn't sound like "punk rock on venus" so...
Old 02-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #16
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by indigo tree
More banjo!!
More phonebook recitations!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 06:45 AM
More 'safe' songs!!!

Old 02-15-2006, 10:53 PM   #18
Acrobat

It will be a whole album of songs people in here will bitch about, excessively.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:30 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doubleU
It will be a whole album of songs people in here will bitch about, excessively.
I can't wait!!
Old 02-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #20
Refugee

Get Well Soon Bono

I heard he was having a Hip-Op

Can't wait till he's better and working on that album.