New album rumor from U2log...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Popmartijn said:

Why? Plenty of bands record (and have recorded) in Abbey Road studios. It's not the exclusive domain of The Beatles.

Yes, I'm just saying, with their known affection for The Beatles, Bono's ego (biggest band in the world)...the biggest band in the world is recording in the biggest studios in the world to make the biggest album in the world, right?

It will look like they're deliberately challenging the Beatles at making a perfect album. Like they're saying "we're making music in their studio, we ARE as good as them". Just wait if they call out for George Martin to produce/mix...

you don't think this means they're just mixing tracks for the dvd release of zoo tv live from sydney.?

It could be that the band is trying to solidify some of the songs so that they could be played during the final Vertigo dates. A month is way too short to finish an album but not too short to finish some songs. I would love to see three to four songs being added to the setlists that are new material. Mercy, 402, 404 and something we haven't heard maybe?

i'm just so glad they have the energy, ambition, and music to put towards either a single or an EP or a whole new album.

there's many more albums left in this band yet.

:up:

U2girl said:

Yes, I'm just saying, with their known affection for The Beatles, Bono's ego (biggest band in the world)...the biggest band in the world is recording in the biggest studios in the world to make the biggest album in the world, right?

It will look like they're deliberately challenging the Beatles at making a perfect album. Like they're saying "we're making music in their studio, we ARE as good as them". Just wait if they call out for George Martin to produce/mix...

I think your grasping for straws that aren't there. It's just a studio. :eyebrow:

my view is that the songs are near complete - those beach clips sound far to finished / progressed to just be starting. They may sound a little crap but that's just because they are being recorded from a source in a house 10 meters away (with lots of background noise).

I really dont think we'll be waiting another 2 yrs plus for a new albumn. the band is on a roll - and they will be in a position to release one in the next 6-8 months.

the set lists in november will be interesting - there may be suggestions of the new content then.

bazza said:
my view is that the songs are near complete - those beach clips sound far to finished / progressed to just be starting. They may sound a little crap but that's just because they are being recorded from a source in a house 10 meters away (with lots of background noise).

I really dont think we'll be waiting another 2 yrs plus for a new albumn. the band is on a roll - and they will be in a position to release one in the next 6-8 months.

the set lists in november will be interesting - there may be suggestions of the new content then.

But U2 was supposedly on a roll after "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and "Elevation" and it was still took more than two years for "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" to come out. In that time, the band also scrapped or revamped a bunch of songs and changed producers. I'd think if U2 is truly going into the studio, the band is either tinkering just to see what happens or is working on a one-off like a soundtrack or something. Remember, U2 is slated to contribute a Joy Division song to Anton Corbijn's Ian Curtis biopic.

my hopes of U2 finishing an entire album (a single as was the case with "Electrical Storm" being a different matter) with a new producer is about 5%

so I hope this isn't true because it will proabbly just cause another year delay

I think we'll see an album mid/late-2007.

They'll do a bit of studio time now, go back on the road and then use that spark from playing live to go back in to finish off some songs and write some new ones.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not all that comfortable with the guys working with new people like Rubin. It might introduce and suggest new sounds and new thinking cycles, but I'd still prefer them getting the old producing gang back and using one of their past producers.

Rubin has done great things for Jay-Z, Audioslave, Chili Peppers and the like, but I just don't see him doing that with U2. U2 is a very different band than the artists on his track record.

goincommando said:
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not all that comfortable with the guys working with new people like Rubin. It might introduce and suggest new sounds and new thinking cycles, but I'd still prefer them getting the old producing gang back and using one of their past producers.

Rubin has done great things for Jay-Z, Audioslave, Chili Peppers and the like, but I just don't see him doing that with U2. U2 is a very different band than the artists on his track record.

He also did Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond, who the B-man has listed as some of his major influences, especially The DIAM:love:ND.

Trying out new things is never bad, especially at this point in their careers, look at what Rubin did with the Chili Peppers with Californication, By the Way, and Stadium Arcadium.

you're telling me you don't want to hear something like that?

goincommando said:

I agree. U2 doesn't need a new direction they need a well-produced, complete album. The band needs someone who can push them towards a special album. What they need is Eno and Lanois to kick them back into shape musically. They need the scientist Brian Eno to show them how to make a complete record again.

I disagree with this sentiment that U2 need to stick with their regulars, Eno and Lanois. I think they need to branch out, work with someone new and avoid the traditional, predictable formulas and patterns. I'm not as familiar with Rubin's work as others here, but by the sounds of things, this should be a positive development.

LemonMacPhisto said:

and Stadium Arcadium.

you're telling me you don't want to hear something like that?

U2 trying to make a double-album when with just eleven songs they had stuff like One Step Closer and AMAAW?
I respect your POV but the difference is that the Peppers have stuff left in the tank and a little youth left. U2 isn't in the peak of thier music lifespan anymore. They can make great albums but not ones that are up there with TJT, AB and thier other classics.

Screwtape2 said:

U2 trying to make a double-album when with just eleven songs they had stuff like One Step Closer and AMAAW?
I respect your POV but the difference is that the Peppers have stuff left in the tank and a little youth left. U2 isn't in the peak of thier music lifespan anymore. They can make great albums but not ones that are up there with TJT, AB and thier other classics.

I didn't mean a double album, I meant the quality of songs.

The textures, melodies, and subtle beauty of it all mixed with pure Chili Peppers-esque awesome.

That's what U2 needs at this point in their career, a producer who knows how to make an album rock and chill and that man is Rick Rubin.

Last edited:
At this stage U2 desperately needs someone who provides an extra creative spark, not just makes them sound good. I don't think the 4 band members, nor their normal posse, are bringing that to the table at the moment. I guess it depends on how open to it they are, versus how determined they are to continue along the Super Big Massive U2 path, whereby they'll bring someone in who compliments what they already see themselves doing. I'm all for the introduction of another Eno, as Eno was to them originally (and as a couple of others have been since).

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

I didn't mean a double album, I meant the quality of songs.

The textures, melodies, and subtle beauty of it all mixed with pure Chili Peppers.

That's what U2 needs at this point in their career, a producer who knows how to make an album rock and chill and that man is Rick Rubin.

I understand what you're saying. My point is that the quality of songs that the Chili Peppers are making are in the U2 equivelant of the mid to late 90's. U2 doesn't have the ability anymore to make enough great songs to match the late 90's. The Peppers are hitting thier musical peak while U2 is on the other slope. To get from Rubin what you are suggesting is impossible in my eyes. That's the point I'm trying to make. The double album comment was just to point out that they have trouble making an eleven song album.

Screwtape2 said:

I understand what you're saying. My point is that the quality of songs that the Chili Peppers are making are in the U2 equivelant of the mid to late 90's. U2 doesn't have the ability anymore to make enough great songs to match the late 90's. The Peppers are hitting thier musical peak while U2 is on the other slope. To get from Rubin what you are suggesting is impossible in my eyes. That's the point I'm trying to make. The double album comment was just to point out that they have trouble making an eleven song album.

different strokes for different strokes. U2 still makes quality/solid songs, they don't hold up yet to their '80s and '90s material, but what can, those defined the band. Like Earnie said, they need that creative spark that can only start when something different is thrown into the mix.

I see something different over the horizon, which makes me keep a clean pair of shorts handy at all times.

U2 cannot go into Vertigo Leg 5 after such a long break without pulling out some new shit, so I bet we're gonna see something good by November.

I know plenty of people love the last two albums, and I know that in one sense they are both 10/10 albums, but they are most definitely safe, creatively narrow minded, retro active albums that sound like a band that has thrown the brake on and decided to move forward no more. It would be terrible for this band to end their career on a plateau, which I feel this is. One more push is all I ask, and I really am not sure they have the drive/desire/inspiration in them. Honestly, they are in a better position than ever before. Far better musicians than ever before. Bono has lyrical and thematic inspiration like never before. I do believe there's another Achtung/Joshua Tree in there, but I think they need someone else to inspire and drive it.

To excel at mediocre is just a crap way to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom