New Album: Recycled Material?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j0eiseph

Babyface
I really like this album. Its definately growing on me more and more with every listen.

Anyways, I'm absolutely loving Crumbs From Your Table, but something was bothering me about it. Then it hit me.

Listen to Walk On from 3:09-3:12, then Listen to Crumbs from 3:13-3:34. Does anyone else notice that edge uses the exact same riff but just slowed down a bit.

Oh well, its still a really awesome song even if it has some recycled material.

:banghead:

:sexywink:

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday. And as someone pointed out to me, "Its just the way Edge plays the guitar." I mean, even Keith Richards repeats himself from time to time

Last edited:
Yeah, a lot of this album is derivative, but somehow U2 haven't compromised themselves in the process as the songs are still brand new. They've taken the DNA of their past work and used it to build something entirely different...something which takes a bit of innovation, I dare say.

Michael Griffiths said:
Yeah, a lot of this album is derivative, but somehow U2 haven't compromised themselves in the process as the songs are still brand new. They've taken the DNA of their past work and used it to build something entirely different...something which takes a bit of innovation, I dare say.

True. They're being themselves.

they've done so much over 25 some odd years....they're bound to repeat themselves sometime. Plus, if it's good, who the hell cares?

Crumbs is ten times better than walk on. Even if the guitar work is similar, do you really care? It's a damn awsome song, I've listened to it almost as much as Miracle Drug.

Is it just me, or does "Crumbs" sound eerily similar to Electrical Storm?

Still, a brilliant song.

MrBrau1 said:
It's the tone, note the notes.

Its not just the tone, it actually uses the same notes just down one octave. In any case, it doesn't really bother me that much. Its just something I noticed because I really play close attention to edge's memorable riffs.

Oh and I think its a pretty close match between Walk On and Crumbs as far as ranking goes. Walk On still holds the title for me simply because of the insanely great way they used it to end the concerts on their last tour.

I think they (U2) have put these bits here and there on purpose. It tells us something. Same with the counting on Vertigo. IMO it is never an accident or coinsedence(sp?) it is a puzzle piece or just a gem for U2 fans to find.

I found the Tomorrow slide / Miracle Drug slide a while ago.

:wave: to MG

EPandAmerica said:
I think they (U2) have put these bits here and there on purpose. It tells us something. Same with the counting on Vertigo. IMO it is never an accident or coinsedence(sp?) it is a puzzle piece or just a gem for U2 fans to find.

I found the Tomorrow slide / Miracle Drug slide a while ago.

:wave: to MG
:wink:

I picked that up on the first listen. The riff sounds the same as the Walk On riff with only a minor difference. That is one of few lowpoints on the album. I don't like listening to Crumbs and then being reminded of Walk on. I just don't like Walk On and don't want to be reminded of it.

I know this sounds weird but there is something about the song A Man and a woman that reminds me of Love Comes Tumbling. I can't put my finger on it, though...

kennerado said:
the one tree hill riff is in Yahweh

Only a brief snippet is used to fill a larger riff, but yeah I caught that too.

And Lisa, I agree that it sounds a bit like love comes tumbling. Same vibe with a completely different structure.

Anyways, I really love this album now. At first I wasn't to impressed but, like every U2 album, it just has an infectious way of growing on me. It's pretty stellar work.

Lisa71 said:
I know this sounds weird but there is something about the song A Man and a woman that reminds me of Love Comes Tumbling. I can't put my finger on it, though...

I completely agree. I thought I was the only one who heard that.

Actually, come to this of it, it IS recycled material. It's actually great, because even on first listen, you've felt like you've know the songs forever.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom