New Album Production

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elfyx

War Child
Does anyone have the latest information on who is completing production on the new album?

Although I have every faith that the new material will be fantastic, I am very concerned that the recording might fall victim to a really obnoxious industry production trend called LOUDER is BETTER.

See here and here .

I've heard rumors that Flood is there, but I can't confirm. If true, that eases my concerns somewhat. I really want to believe that U2 have brought on the best and most professional people who wouldn't cave in to this kind of crap. But then again, the label execs are pushing this hard from what I hear. Does anyone know what kind of rights U2 retained when Island was incorporated into Interscope?

Steve Lillywhite did the final production on the album.
And as for U2's rights, they have control of everything. They own the songs, the masters, the whole process. They only lease the recording to the record company (which is still Island here in Europe) for as long as they are under contract. So I don't think U2 will release the album if they themselves aren't happy with it. Even in the early years the record company could not change the band's behaviour (with the October sleeve and asking Brian Eno for producing The Unforgettable Fire), so I think they certainly can't do it now.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
Steve Lillywhite did the final production on the album.
And as for U2's rights, they have control of everything. They own the songs, the masters, the whole process. They only lease the recording to the record company (which is still Island here in Europe) for as long as they are under contract. So I don't think U2 will release the album if they themselves aren't happy with it. Even in the early years the record company could not change the band's behaviour (with the October sleeve and asking Brian Eno for producing The Unforgettable Fire), so I think they certainly can't do it now.

C ya!

Marty

Hey Marty does U2 own their entire catalog including the masters or does the record company own s their first few albums ? Almost all record contracts for bands starting out stipulate that the masters and the publishing rights are owned by the label and I would see no different with U2 for their first 3-5 albums until they renegotiated.

Back
Top Bottom