New Album Production - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 06:37 AM
New Album Production

Does anyone have the latest information on who is completing production on the new album?

Although I have every faith that the new material will be fantastic, I am very concerned that the recording might fall victim to a really obnoxious industry production trend called LOUDER is BETTER.

See here and here .

I've heard rumors that Flood is there, but I can't confirm. If true, that eases my concerns somewhat. I really want to believe that U2 have brought on the best and most professional people who wouldn't cave in to this kind of crap. But then again, the label execs are pushing this hard from what I hear. Does anyone know what kind of rights U2 retained when Island was incorporated into Interscope?

Old 07-11-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Steve Lillywhite did the final production on the album.
And as for U2's rights, they have control of everything. They own the songs, the masters, the whole process. They only lease the recording to the record company (which is still Island here in Europe) for as long as they are under contract. So I don't think U2 will release the album if they themselves aren't happy with it. Even in the early years the record company could not change the band's behaviour (with the October sleeve and asking Brian Eno for producing The Unforgettable Fire), so I think they certainly can't do it now.

C ya!

Marty

Old 07-11-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:37 AM
And yes, Flood has been involved in the final production as well.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
Steve Lillywhite did the final production on the album.
And as for U2's rights, they have control of everything. They own the songs, the masters, the whole process. They only lease the recording to the record company (which is still Island here in Europe) for as long as they are under contract. So I don't think U2 will release the album if they themselves aren't happy with it. Even in the early years the record company could not change the band's behaviour (with the October sleeve and asking Brian Eno for producing The Unforgettable Fire), so I think they certainly can't do it now.

C ya!

Marty
Hey Marty does U2 own their entire catalog including the masters or does the record company own s their first few albums ? Almost all record contracts for bands starting out stipulate that the masters and the publishing rights are owned by the label and I would see no different with U2 for their first 3-5 albums until they renegotiated.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:11 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:37 AM
U2 owns their whole shop...and yes I believe they had to renegotiate that back in '85 or '86.

Also I don't fear the LOUD IS BETTER deal with U2. They know better.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:50 AM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elfyx
Does anyone have the latest information on who is completing production on the new album?
Steve Lilliywhite AND Flood were in the studio. I've met them in front and IN it.

http://www.u2tour.de/news/article1504.html