NEW ALBUM OUT................WHEN?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoiswubbus

Babyface
Have seen some of the rumours floating about regarding possible release of a new U2 album this summer, any extra info on this one? Also, how about the best of 1990-2000? Any ideas when we can expect that one?

well they mentioned going back into the studio after the Elevation tour is over, which means pretty soon. lyrics are done and allegedly, there is still a few songs left (hardrocking ones) from the ATYCLB sessions. my guess would be late spring, just in time for the rumored stadium tour of Europe this summer

HOO-AH!!!!!!

------------------
~*Mona*~ Echo's Pimpstress Protege, capable of scandalizing ScottPhisto with AngelinaLips....
97% compatible with Bono

Proud Owner of the one and only Bon Jovi soap caddy

Love me, give me soul.

"I'm shocked and happy....I'm SHAPPY!"

Now what would happen if I was to bump this Topic which is now on Page 65 back to Page 1...

Well, rumor has it some people spoke to The Edge in L.A. after the Grammys and he said they are NOT going to do a Zooropa type deal and that they will probably take a year and a half to finish the new album.

I no longer believe in the Summer 02 date, I guess it will be Summer 03!
frown.gif

Spring 2005. They say they've started working on the album but don't believe the hype. A couple of studio sessions here or there hardly count. It takes 1 and 1/2 years to make a U2 album. They're going to extend Elevation through the end of the year so forget about any recording in 2002. Then they'll take a six month break which means we can expect them to start making the new album in June 2003. A year and a half later they'll complete it. Then they'll begin promoting the album, release the first single and voila a new album in April 2005.

MAP

Realistically? I say mid-2003 at the earliest. I know we all want to believe the rumors that a new album is just around the corner, but they're not rushing anything. After a world tour, they're almost certainly taking some time off for themselves, and going to head back to the studio to create a truly polished album. They're at the point where they can leave the public eye for a year or so and still have an impact on the charts when they come back.

I think European stadiums for this summer are all but confirmed. After that, I think they'll be anxious to get back into the studio, but they'll do it on their own time.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Spring 2005.

I think the only way they'll take that long is if it is their LAST album. Based on the OTHER comments about how much is already written for the album and that they have 8 demops recorded and they want to ride on the energy of the Elevation Tour, I think they will spend alot of time between when Bono gets back from Africa and before rehearsals for Elevation Tour working on and recording the new album. And they will record DURING the European Tour and in the Fall and take a break during the holidays and then in January 03 they will probably fine tune it and do final production stuff for a few months and release it in late Spring or Summer 2003.

Here's another thought: Anyone check Brian Eno and Danny Lanois' productuion schedule? Maybe the reason it is going to take a year and a half is because they are going to wait until Danny and Brian can spend some time producing.

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Spring 2005.

I think it's a bit irresponsible for somebody to post something like this on a board for the world to see without any concrete proof.

If it is speculation (and I believe it is) then it would help if you said "in my opinion" or "I believe" to coincide with your point.

Respectfully,
Z edge

The longest U2 have ever taken between two studio albums is 3 years and 8 months. This is the time period between ZOOROPA and POP. Its also equal to the time period between POP and ATYCLB. If that trend were to continue which I doubt it will, the new album would be released in June or July 2004. The band is not going to take that long because it can make things difficult business wise as was seen with the POP album. April 2005 is insane. I would say May 2003 is most likely.

Originally posted by JimmyChicken:
Now what would happen if I bumped this topic which was on page 65, back to page 1...

Was there a reason?

I believe the reality of the situation here is that it is more likely that another single will be released from All That... this summer when the new tour begins. A new Elevation tour may require the sevices of a new single for exposure.

Maybe this is when "When I Look at the World" takes center stage.
wink.gif

Originally posted by Sicy:
Was there a reason?

Yes, to see if an old topic could still get any new and interesting responses.

In this case the topic got more responses on its revival than it did on its first run.

I could have started a whole new thread asking the same thing. Which would be better, a new one or reuse an old one?

Afterall, over time new information comes to hand so why lead a topic that has potential for my responses go to waste?

Originally posted by Sicy:
Was there a reason?

Yes, to see if an old topic could still get any new and interesting responses.

In this case the topic got more responses on its revival than it did on its first run.
I could have started a whole new thread asking the same thing.
Which would be better, a new one or reuse an old one?

Afterall, over time new information comes to hand so why lead a topic that has potential for my responses go to waste?

[This message has been edited by JimmyChicken (edited 03-07-2002).]

The short answer about when the album comes out is no one knows, not even the band.

In the past, the band always intended to put out albums by certain dates, but there was always significant slippage.

I understand the band's perfectly rationale desire to put out an album quickly to take advantage of the momentum from the tour, but intentions and reality often don't align.

I think worst case scenario is 2005(20% probability). Most likely case is late 2003 -early 2004(60% probability). I think the band finishes touring end of 2002, early 2003, takes a break, goes into the studio and then tries to get something out in time for the holiday period. If they can't make the deadline, the album comes out early 2004. The best case scenario for the fans is a spring early summer 2002 scenario (20%). I really don't see this happening, though. Sure, the band may have a hundred songs recorded, but knowing how U2 works, those songs are only fragments. Usually, it takes U2 forever to take a song idea / fragment and for U2 to finish it. The aberration to this cycle was Zooropa. We'll see.

karl

I just heard a little "music news" bit on my radio... it said (paraphrase) "U2--a band that has seen new found success without actually going anywhere--has won 7 grammys to date with All That You Can't Leave Behind. Bono has some comments on what we can expect for the future: <Bono goes on to say that they have all of this energy and they are definately going to run with it, creating not 1, 2 or 3 good songs but a whole lot of them, because that's all you can do> The DJ ended by saying "So U2 plots their new album, no telling when it will be out, but as we find out more about it we'll let you know"

When the DJ finds out more I'll relay it to ya
tongue.gif

Originally posted by z edge:
I think it's a bit irresponsible for somebody to post something like this on a board for the world to see without any concrete proof.
If it is speculation (and I believe it is) then it would help if you said "in my opinion" or "I believe" to coincide with your point.
Respectfully,
Z edge

Irresponsible? Concrete proof? What on earth are you nattering about? I laid out a scenario I suspect to be true. I didn't claim to have any inside information or any sources in the know. Obviously it was speculation. Since every other post in this thread was speculation and "guess"-timations it's somewhat curious that you chose to single out my comments to object to.

I will say this in defense of my timeline:
Many Interferencers were insisting that U2 would release a new album prior to their summer stadium gigs. They were actually convinced that we'd get a new album in Spring 2002. The only "proof" or "concrete evidence" that these folks had were Bono's comment that the band wanted to "tap the energy of the Elevation tour" and Edge's statement that the band had done a little recording between the European and North American legs of Elevation 2001.
Bono made a similar comment at the end of the ZooTV tour. He suggested the band head to Japan and record the new album there. Didn't happen.
During the Pop tour the band did some recording in Australia and in the aftermath of the tour new song titles were even bandied about. (Anyone remember "If You Die, I Don't?") It still took a few years to see new material from the band.
Pop and ATYCLB both took well over a year to make and the band still insists that they needed a few more months to "finish" Pop. Are U2 capable of spitting out a new album in a couple of months? Yes, but Edge himself said that a hurried album wouldn't be a high quality U2 album. (I disagree with Edge actually. I'm a big Zooropa fan.) Still, if Edge thinks quality only come through time spent crafting new songs and if the length of time spent recording the last two albums is taken into consideration...
Sooo...if U2 albums take at least a year to make, and U2 haven't gotten to the point of serious recording sessions yet...And if they have a stadium tour to put on this year...
Well, I wouldn't get my heart set on a new album in 2002. Or 2003 for that matter. 2004 maybe. 2005 definetly.

MAP

Back
Top Bottom