New Album - inc 'Invisible' - discussion of Hangar Clips, Super Bowl and Amy Poehler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Delaying to the fall or beyond would be an epic disaster beyond comprehension.

It would also be utterly pathetic, especially if it were due to getting cold feet over the producer after all this time.

At that point, I would be ashamed.

I don't expect this to happen, because it's too pathetic to wrap my brain around... but alas, anything is possible.

And if it does happen? :shrug: whatever... More money to spend in Vegas.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

If Bono says the album will be out in June, that is the absolute BEST CASE SCENARIO. When dealing with U2, never believe the best case scenario, or Bono. Fall is looking more likely, and delaying until next spring seems even more likely than that.

Do we really have to do this again.

yes, U2 are Brady's favorite band. In fact, Bono presented him with the SI Sportsman of the Year award in 2005.

Bono Congratulates Tom Brady Sportsman of the Year 2005 - YouTube

Makes sense that the man who has been the object of the most passionate mancrushes and manhate of the past 14 years would love Bono, the guy that guys love to hate. One more good reason to love (or hate) Tom!

Delaying to the fall or beyond would be an epic disaster beyond comprehension.

It would also be utterly pathetic, especially if it were due to getting cold feet over the producer after all this time.

At that point, I would be ashamed.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

You forgot to say that you would lose all respect for the band and they would need to pull the plug. Slipping. :tsk:

If Bono says the album will be out in June, that is the absolute BEST CASE SCENARIO. When dealing with U2, never believe the best case scenario, or Bono. Fall is looking more likely, and delaying until next spring seems even more likely than that.

Thats really stretching it. There is no way they will not release an album this year and June is really pushing it! We are still in store for a march/April release I am sure. If they push it back another year it would be very bad after all the build up with the sb etc.

no, really, did i miss something major in these threads that actually suggests with something tangible that the plan is to now release an album next fall, after all the exposure from Ordinary Love, and the upcoming Super Bowl advertisement, in addition to the CONFIRMED RUMORS!!! that there will be a tour later this year?

Drunk Bono is reported to have told a drunk Showbiz journalist that the album is coming in June. I think that's it.

It wouldn't make any sense, most of you are predicting this based on the trend of the last two albums, but we're not in that pattern. We're getting two singles (possibly non-album tracks) released, a HUGE commercial, different management, and different producer. We're not in predictable territory.

Same. It would be very disappointing but not at all unexpected.
I was planning a trip to Europe this year to see them in Ireland. Guess it will be next year now!

I'm definitely not counting on there not being an album/tour this spring/summer. But with the fact that U2 are going to some effort to emphasize that Invisible is a (RED) song, I'm less sure. The Superb Owl timeframe is roughly when a lead single for a new album should be released if that new album is to come out in late March or early April, and I don't expect that U2 would release Invisible within a month of their new album's lead single - a lead single that they will probably be fairly desperate to see become popular. Is is possible that Invisible is the lead single, that they're just mentioning that it's a (RED) song because the album hasn't officially been announced? Sure. Perhaps they're even being coy and deliberately hiding that it's tied to the album. Fine. But I'm not willing to count on that. There's no history of U2 being particularly subtle with their release campaigns, even prior to album announcement. Perhaps this time is different, but perhaps it's not. Perhaps I'm too cynical, because, for the bulk of last year, we thought that we were about to see a late 2013 release, and the album wasn't being hyped up because U2 had discovered a sense of subtlety, even to the point where we thought that there would be a semi-surprise release. That, of course, did not happen. I'm sure that things are intentionally quieter to some extent, but I'm not willing to buy with certainty that U2 are deliberately being coy to us, and their attitude suggests to me that, if the album is to be released in the coming months, there has to be some coyness going on.

Maybe I'm reading all of the signs wrong, but I'm resigned to not be surprised if the album is not going to come until the fall... or later. Of course, that would entail either a ditching of Danger Mouse (which would, frankly, be a disaster), or resuming work with him only after Broken Bells are done touring (I guess somewhat less of a disaster, but Burton must think that U2 are absolutely ridiculous by now).

But 2013 was a good year for new music. Hopefully 2014 is as well, with or without U2.

It wouldn't make any sense, most of you are predicting this based on the trend of the last two albums, but we're not in that pattern. We're getting two singles (possibly non-album tracks) released, a HUGE commercial, different management, and different producer. We're not in predictable territory.

Perhaps. You would know better than I would.

I remember last year to think the album wouldn't be out before 2014 was absolutely inconceivable, especially since Larry and Adam said so! Around here, you were chastised for even thinking such a thing. Now look at us. It's an entire year later, and we still have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Bono's June comments, combined with the rest of the band's non-answers to question when it comes to U2's next move, leaves us with 2 possibilities.
1. They're planning a surprise release on us, and Invisible is the single
2. They're not done yet, and are trying to buy themselves more time. However, once they reach their deadline for a June release, they'll realize June is not an optimum time for releasing an album, and push it back to fall, to maximize sales. THEN they'll push it back to early 2015, saying they want 2015 to be "their year".

If after the Super Bowl we know nothing more about the album, bet on #2.

The new U2 album will be released only on record store day and will be limited to ten copies pressed on 78 rpm shellac but can't be played but instead will be able to be cracked open to reveal a download code that will take you to a website where you can download a remix of Wild Honey that when played backwards will reveal a secret location where a limited edition briefcase is buried which will contain sheet music that you have to learn to play revealing a song which once is decoded will reveal that the new album will be a album of pirate songs that will come out next summer.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

So, Drunk Bono told a journalist after the Globes that the album will come out in June, and that's where all this discussion stems from?

Isn't it possible, given how secretive the band have been about this, even during their red carpet interview at the Globes, that Bono may have fed this journalist some BS to keep them off the scent? We don't know if Bono was asked a question or if he just volunteered this information, but if he was asked a question, isn't it conceivable he just gave the journalist a line?

Fall is looking more likely, and delaying until next spring seems even more likely than that.

No.

no, really, did i miss something major in these threads that actually suggests with something tangible that the plan is to now release an album next fall, after all the exposure from Ordinary Love, and the upcoming Super Bowl advertisement, in addition to the CONFIRMED RUMORS!!! that there will be a tour later this year?

No.

So, Drunk Bono told a journalist after the Globes that the album will come out in June, and that's where all this discussion stems from?

Isn't it possible, given how secretive the band have been about this, even during their red carpet interview at the Globes, that Bono may have fed this journalist some BS to keep them off the scent? We don't know if Bono was asked a question or if he just volunteered this information, but if he was asked a question, isn't it conceivable he just gave the journalist a line?

Conceivable, absolutely. However, even in this release cycle, there's no real history of the band deliberately overestimating how long it would be until the album comes out, so I'm not going to let myself be certain that he was lying.

Or maybe drunk Bono let it slip that the album is coming out in June because he was, you know, drunk.

Or maybe the journalist was drunk, and it wasn't even Bono.

I never thought I would ever write the following sentence, but I wish they would do it like Beyonce did. Just put the album out without any announcement and let it roll or get the fuck out.

The timing of Invisible is strange in a few ways though. Firstly it's right on the back of Ordinary Love which seems to be getting more airplay after the win.

Secondly, as per their newsletter today , they're emphasising again that the song is part of a project for (RED). If there is a new album coming soon, why do a standalone song this close to it?

Unless they're just trying to build some momentum and keep it going?

But if the album isn't ready, why release anything when OL is presumably going to get more coverage thanks to the oscars.

Hopefully this talk of something special is that they are genuinely going to surprise us by dropping an album out of nowhere. Certainly the usual sources of album news who hear songs in advance have been pretty much non existent which gives me hope that they might just be up to something that really is special and isn't just another remix of an 80s album track or something.

It’s quite possible that they just don’t want to break all the news now – the ad is supposed to do that and if they do it now the ad loses a lot of its punch, or there’s some more complicated plan around the album launch and they don’t want to muddy that – but the Super Bowl ad, the Invisible shoot in the hanger, these things are all out of the bag. If you notice, all they’re doing is confirming what we already know. Super Bowl ad? We knew that. Hanger shoot? We knew that. Song was called Invisible? We knew that. The addition of the news of the (RED) connection (the only thing we didn’t know until it came from them) while of course being true is more likely put out there now as a foil – “Oh, that’s what they’re doing” – and they still hold an element of surprise + delivery of ‘new’ news for whatever is coming up. And even with the (RED) connection, we already knew there was a partner. And they're still holding onto who the real (corporate) partner is...

I find it inconceivable that this is a standalone song with such a huge launch, with an album and tour just around the corner. It’s not, it’s the first single and that ad, or the events immediately after it, will no doubt confirm that.

Is the advert just for the super bowl or will it be shown worldwide after the super bowl release?

If the band say its for (red) and the newsletter now confirms it can we count the beats rumour a non starter? Lets face it it wasnt even a rumour it was people putting 2 and 2 together.

This IMO is looking more and more likely the song is just for RED, could it be on the album of course it could, but looking less likely it's the lead single in a conventional sense and I can really see the album being pushed back which is crap

This just in:

Terry Lawless' calendar has him playing with the Paisley Brothers, in Mexico, one a month until mid June 2014. After which.. no more shows.

Therefore tour

you can always email him for confirmation.. terry@terrylawless.com

You'll recall when I said some months ago that one of the reasons for scheduling things the way they were scheduled was that they wanted to roll with all their trusted key players...this was one of them (among others).....

You'll recall when I said some months ago that one of the reasons for scheduling things the way they were scheduled was that they wanted to roll with all their trusted key players...this was one of them (among others).....

Do you have inside sources or just giving out some logic? Also are you on the side believing album before or around April, or do you believe sometime around June. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom