New album in the works while in NZ and Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come close to reaching that same point!

And it feels pretty damn good!

Well, U2387, my motivations are rather different. I adore NLOTH. I adore the vast majority of U2's back catalogue. I am so incredibly content with that material of theirs I have to listen to, I'm fine with them releasing a new album whenever. Not that I don't look forward to one - I do. But I'm happy. U2 are such an amazing band, and I honestly can't thank them enough for being the band that they are. It may sound cheesy, but they really have added a lot to my life. So I'm happy. :)

''It's sounding great: lots of hits.''

Love that line......get ready for ATYCLB2:doh:

Can't wait for the "NLOTH was never finished properly" quotes from the band in the very near future.

What was he supposed to say? That it's shit and nobody should buy it?

And how can it be ATYCLB2 if Adam said they're moving away from the trilogy of Behind, Bomb and NLOTH?

how can it be ATYCLB2 if Adam said they're moving away from the trilogy of Behind, Bomb and NLOTH?

This.

I don't think it's going to be ATYCLB Pt. 2. Perhaps it's another reinvention. I am very much looking forward to this next album. I don't think it will be any worse than any of their others. And I don't get whats up with the whole "OMG ONOZ!!!" (thats not at cori btw, that just seems to be how everyone here is reacting) when someone says there are hits on an album. Maybe there is, maybe not. I'm just glad they're still releasing good albums that I can listen to all the way through. Hits or no hits. IMO there is no "dud" by far.

Oh and uh, oonts!!:cabbagepatch:

While U2 have shifted directions several times, each album still retains the "essence" of U2. Songs like "One" or "Wild Horses" might have worked on JT. Sure, some obvious differences exist (like the intro to "Horses" or Bono's scratchier singing on "One") - but these were intentional. Remove them and they work rather well with JT. Yet, AB still remains a very different album that JT. Some songs on TUF could have worked on "War", in fact, one might argue that "Pride" belongs a bit more on "War" than it does on TUF. Likewise, NLOTH has songs like "Crazy" which definitely blend in with ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but it also contains "Moment of Surrender", which is very fresh for U2. If MOS belongs on any other album, it might be R&H. Speaking of R&H, we had pop songs, rock songs, blues songs, jazz songs, old style songs and fresh songs. It was really a great mix.

My point is that to say the next album will be "radically different" is, by definition, setting it up for failure. U2 has an unique sound. We are fortunate that this sound is as diverse as it is. Most artists don't have that. Still, the sound is present: one hears echoes of "October" in "New York" - two songs released nearly 2 decades apart, yet still vastly different tracks.

I challenge artists like Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, REM, Beyonce, Gwen Stefani, or whoever else you like to be as diverse as U2. Only two artists come close: The Beatles and Madonna. Yet, even with them, you hear the basic elements of their sound throughout their work.

Therefore, if U2 can some how pull in the magic of "Moment of Surrender", keep pop-rock songs more like "Beautiful Day" (and not a "copy" of it), slow songs like WOWY, yet still flow with the zeitgeist of today's music and themes, then I'll be happy. And I have a feeling U2 will do just that. Bono's poetic lyrics allow for multiple interpretations - something that worked in 1983 will still work in 2013. And the bands sound just creates classic music. This is why "Boy" still sounds fresh today.

But if you are expecting something so new and different, then you will be upset. If U2 actually created such an album, then they'd lose all of what makes them U2.

Perhaps you'd like less "hits". The thing is, the albums that produced the biggest hits worldwide for U2 are also considered their most influential and best selling albums - namely JT and AB. You may argue that the songs on those two albums were just so good they couldn't help but be hits. That is, U2 had no intention of making them classics. :hmm: I love the myth of U2, but really, that's what it is - a myth. There's the "magic" of Santa too, which I love at this time of year. And there is reality. I'm sure U2 wanted those songs to be hits - they were released as singles and promoted. U2 wanted those albums to have hit songs. This is their career. U2 wanted that success and worked hard to achieve it. Proof is the songs themselves: slow love songs like WOWY and "One" often zoom to the top of the charts. Fun pop/rock songs like MW often make for great hits (ask the Black Eyed Peas - they've made a career out of bubblegum pop/rock music).

What I hope for is another NLOTH type album. I'm not crazy about every track, but then, that's true for every U2 album. But I want more of an album than a collection of singles. NLOTH wasn't quite perfect in that regard, but it was the closest U2 have come to that idea since the AB (or maybe "Zooropa"). To me, that is U2's strength - the album. Hits will come if they focus on creating a great album. Also, if U2 want a strong first single, keep the idea simple - forcing it with songs like "Discotheque" or GOYB doesn't work. Save those for second or third singles. Instead, stick with something a bit more traditional and that can appeal to everyone (e.g. "Pride", WOWY, "Desire", and BD).

For now, I'm looking forward to the album. :hyper:

doctorwho, I like you. You tend to be one of the more sane voices of reason on this forum.

Amen, Dr. Who!

I also am not a member of the "NO MORE HITS!" bandwagon. Many of U2's great songs have been huge hits and that makes for a more magic concert experience in my opinion because the crowds are connecting with the music. I think Breathe is one of the best songs U2 has written and it sounds FANTASTIC live, but the crowd response is just not the same as it is when they play BD, Streets, or other "hit" songs. Frankly I'd love it if U2 had another major hit song that millions of people can connect with.

That being said, as I understand it, the worry about hits today mainly comes from a concern about the quality of popular radio in general. Big hit music today is 99% pure crap (in my humble opinion) and so a lot of people don't want to see U2 sacrifice the quality of their music just to get songs played on popular radio. A lot of people seem to be worried that U2 will go back (GASP!) to the "basic" sound of ATYCLB in pursuit of a hit song. Who knows. My hunch is that Crazy Tonight, Window In The Skies, Magnificent, and City of Blinding Lights have all proven just because a song sounds U2-ish, that does not mean it will be a hit. I think the band probably realizes this. If U2 is going to have a major hit on the next album, it will probably have to be something pretty special and "different" or "fresh", just like almost all of their hits have been in the past. (not to say that those songs aren't special, I love all of them!)

That being said, as I understand it, the worry about hits today mainly comes from a concern about the quality of popular radio in general. Big hit music today is 99% pure crap (in my humble opinion) and so a lot of people don't want to see U2 sacrifice the quality of their music just to get songs played on popular radio.

I think though that just because the popular radio is full of crap it doesn't mean that you have to be crap in order to get on the radio.

And anyways, when was the popular radio -not- full of crappy music?

I think though that just because the popular radio is full of crap it doesn't mean that you have to be crap in order to get on the radio.

And anyways, when was the popular radio -not- full of crappy music?

I'm sure there was a time. A while ago.

Pretty much never during U2's career, they've always been a nice antidote to the radio crap.

Amen, Dr. Who!

I also am not a member of the "NO MORE HITS!" bandwagon. Many of U2's great songs have been huge hits and that makes for a more magic concert experience in my opinion because the crowds are connecting with the music. I think Breathe is one of the best songs U2 has written and it sounds FANTASTIC live, but the crowd response is just not the same as it is when they play BD, Streets, or other "hit" songs. Frankly I'd love it if U2 had another major hit song that millions of people can connect with.

That being said, as I understand it, the worry about hits today mainly comes from a concern about the quality of popular radio in general. Big hit music today is 99% pure crap (in my humble opinion) and so a lot of people don't want to see U2 sacrifice the quality of their music just to get songs played on popular radio. A lot of people seem to be worried that U2 will go back (GASP!) to the "basic" sound of ATYCLB in pursuit of a hit song. Who knows. My hunch is that Crazy Tonight, Window In The Skies, Magnificent, and City of Blinding Lights have all proven just because a song sounds U2-ish, that does not mean it will be a hit. I think the band probably realizes this. If U2 is going to have a major hit on the next album, it will probably have to be something pretty special and "different" or "fresh", just like almost all of their hits have been in the past. (not to say that those songs aren't special, I love all of them!)

First, thank you everyone for the compliments. I am humbled. :reject: I actually was expecting a barrage of attacks saying how I'm blinded to reality and yada. ;)

I quoted cjboog because there are some great points there, especially the comment that simply because a song sounds like "classic U2" doesn't mean it will be a hit. I fully expected GOYB to behave like "The Fly" (in terms of chart success) and then see "Magnificent" take-off. Maybe not a huge top 10 hit, but I figured it would slowly work its way into the Top 40 for a week or two and then slowly fall. Yet, it had a brief Top 100 appearance at #79 and disappeared. That shocked me. A huge U2 sounding song that was accessible and yet, it failed to be a hit. Combined with the other examples above and I fully agree - U2's "classic" sound can work (see BD), but at times, it creates a "yawn". This was even true during U2's supposed glory years (JT-Zooropa). Songs like "In God's Country", "All I Want Is You", "When Love Comes to Town", "The Fly", "Even Better Than...", "Who's Gonna Ride..." and "Stay" all failed to crack the Top 30 - some not even cracking the Top 60 (in the U.S.)! In other words, the U2 sound works wonders for a few tracks, but appears to be "too much" for other songs.

Hence, if U2 did try another ATYCLB, it would probably fail. BD really carried that album - and just as it started to fall, "Stuck in a Moment" came out when the horrible events of 9/11 occurred. People rallied around that song and the album (and several other artists as well). As happy as I am that people bonded to that album after those events, I hope we never see them again.

I prefer U2 "experiment" - but within their own comfort zones. What makes the four of them happy? Larry was clearly not too impressed with OS1. So that maybe was too much experimentation for him. But are there more JT-esque sounds in them? Do they have some real "punk rock" left? Or can they create soulful masterpieces like MOS? There is a lot to explore in the U2 sound - from rock to jazz to blues to pop. And that's exciting to me.

So I agree with the "no more hits" concept IF it means forcing a hit song. I think when U2 try this, they are at their weakest. But if they explore the music and the concept of a great album, then it seems the hits fall out from that. And this is where I hope they stay. If they do, I have a feeling the hits will come (even if it still takes some extra promotion as radio is crap).

What DOES worry me is McGuiness' proclammation of "lots of hits". In the '80s and early '90s, that wasn't a bad thing because U2's songs were hits despite their innovativeness and originality. Now, these are usually self-conscious attempts at appealing to the lowest common denominators of the mainstream.

I really want to believe Adam, but Bono said NLOTH would be an experimental break long before it came out. Bono was either wrong all along or U2 chickened out toward the end, as Lanois implies. If it happened before, it can happen again.

I'm worried. Also, those awful Spiderman melodies don't bode well.

'80s U2 would have been so embarrassed.

You know what other albums had lots of hits?

Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree.

Only because With Or Without You and Even Better Than The Real thing were so in step with their contemporaries.

It was an inane remark, and his priorities scare the shit out of me. But I probably shouldn't expect less of Jabba.

While U2 have shifted directions several times, each album still retains the "essence" of U2. Songs like "One" or "Wild Horses" might have worked on JT. Sure, some obvious differences exist (like the intro to "Horses" or Bono's scratchier singing on "One") - but these were intentional. Remove them and they work rather well with JT. Yet, AB still remains a very different album that JT. Some songs on TUF could have worked on "War", in fact, one might argue that "Pride" belongs a bit more on "War" than it does on TUF. Likewise, NLOTH has songs like "Crazy" which definitely blend in with ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but it also contains "Moment of Surrender", which is very fresh for U2. If MOS belongs on any other album, it might be R&H...

Perhaps you'd like less "hits". The thing is, the albums that produced the biggest hits worldwide for U2 are also considered their most influential and best selling albums - namely JT and AB. You may argue that the songs on those two albums were just so good they couldn't help but be hits. That is, U2 had no intention of making them classics. :hmm: I love the myth of U2, but really, that's what it is - a myth. There's the "magic" of Santa too, which I love at this time of year. And there is reality. I'm sure U2 wanted those songs to be hits - they were released as singles and promoted. U2 wanted those albums to have hit songs. This is their career. U2 wanted that success and worked hard to achieve it. Proof is the songs themselves: slow love songs like WOWY and "One" often zoom to the top of the charts. Fun pop/rock songs like MW often make for great hits (ask the Black Eyed Peas - they've made a career out of bubblegum pop/rock music).
The notion that U2's creativity was anywhere near as cravenly commercially driven by a desire to be popular then as it is now is the myth.

"The Fly" was in no way an attempt to kiss up to the mainstream. Neither was much of Achtung Baby. Even the most simple songs are shockingly complex compared to what U2 has done the last 10 years.

You can talk about slow songs being popular, etc, but it's not that predictable. "Bad" is not a radio-friendly song and wasn't intended as such. And the irony is that U2 needed success more than ever in those early days, as a struggling band and didn't cave in, yet now it does because of an addiction to the money and fame and hanging out with celebrities and people '80s U2 would have rightly branded war criminals or people who sold out the working class like Bill Clinton.

With all due respect, "One" is very, very different from the Joshua Tree in both the instrumentation and in Bono's singing style which was vastly superior at that latter point. You're right it's more mainstream than "The Fly", but it's still very different.

I can't say the same about many newer songs. "City of Blinding Lights" is both an attempt to capture the successful formula of "Streets" mixed in with a Coldplay-like overly simple set of melodies.

Indeed, its this lack of texture and loud and soft that is killing U2 because it would rather get played on the radio than tell the pop kids to "screw" off, as Bono did in 1991/1992.

U2 is making nice music, but it's feeding off my previous love of them as a band. It's not making GREAT music anymore, though I just know it can. Maybe someone should rob U2 of all its wealth so the band can find its soul again.

Moreover, experimentation isn't simply enough. The odd thing is that my favorite songs on NLOTH are the single-like stuff: Magnificent, Crazy, and Breathe. MOS lacks sufficient variation and the entire album has Edge conservatively creating simple melodies on that boring old 2000s electric guitar setting. Pop had some of these same problems; the basic melodies (especially in the guitar work) weren't good enough. I love "Do You Feel Loved?", "Mofo" and the single version of "Please" and nothing else. Miami had a great rhythm track, but a lousy guitar melody. "Last Night on Earth" has a great opening groove with Bono rapping and Edge's guitar sound, but the chorus section is uninspiring. "Staring at the Sun" is conservative U2.

It's a hard thing, but the band has to be experimental enough to make songs sound very different, but also find great melodies without resorting to what's already been established as popular.

Are you kidding? Achtung Baby took MONTHS for anyone to understand! If they did something comparable today, most people would hate it for a while...

Glad to hear it. I only liked it as much as I did because my big brother kept playing it over and over, but it took me years to love songs like "Love Is Blindness", "Acrobat", and "Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World."

Indeed, its this lack of texture and loud and soft that is killing U2 because it would rather get played on the radio than tell the pop kids to "screw" off, as Bono did in 1991/1992.

Yes. Exactly. What makes Achtung Baby a masterpiece (along with great lyrics) are its textures and layers. The other great albums of the early 90's (MBV's Loveless, Cocteau Twin's Heaven or Las Vegas, and Slowdive's Souvlaki) in a way break my heart. It seemed for a brief period of time that 3 bands (4 if you include U2) were going to take music all the way to "11" - but alas, they couldn't follow-up on the promise and crap like Matchbox 20, Goo Goo Dolls, and Bush overtook "alternative" radio and made it a joke.

While I like a lot of the new stuff out there, nothing compares to the crescendo of the Shoegaze era: 1990-1993. (listen to Loveless and then listen to opening minute of Wild Horses. Like the Beatles, U2 were able to capture the best of the most innovative bands of their time and make it their own)

The notion that U2's creativity was anywhere near as cravenly commercially driven by a desire to be popular then as it is now is the myth.

"The Fly" was in no way an attempt to kiss up to the mainstream. Neither was much of Achtung Baby. Even the most simple songs are shockingly complex compared to what U2 has done the last 10 years.

You can talk about slow songs being popular, etc, but it's not that predictable. "Bad" is not a radio-friendly song and wasn't intended as such. And the irony is that U2 needed success more than ever in those early days, as a struggling band and didn't cave in, yet now it does because of an addiction to the money and fame and hanging out with celebrities and people '80s U2 would have rightly branded war criminals or people who sold out the working class like Bill Clinton.

With all due respect, "One" is very, very different from the Joshua Tree in both the instrumentation and in Bono's singing style which was vastly superior at that latter point. You're right it's more mainstream than "The Fly", but it's still very different.

I can't say the same about many newer songs. "City of Blinding Lights" is both an attempt to capture the successful formula of "Streets" mixed in with a Coldplay-like overly simple set of melodies.

U2 is making nice music, but it's feeding off my previous love of them as a band. It's not making GREAT music anymore, though I just know it can. Maybe someone should rob U2 of all its wealth so the band can find its soul again.

Moreover, experimentation isn't simply enough. The odd thing is that my favorite songs on NLOTH are the single-like stuff: Magnificent, Crazy, and Breathe. MOS lacks sufficient variation and the entire album has Edge conservatively creating simple melodies on that boring old 2000s electric guitar setting. Pop had some of these same problems; the basic melodies (especially in the guitar work) weren't good enough. I love "Do You Feel Loved?", "Mofo" and the single version of "Please" and nothing else. Miami had a great rhythm track, but a lousy guitar melody. "Last Night on Earth" has a great opening groove with Bono rapping and Edge's guitar sound, but the chorus section is uninspiring. "Staring at the Sun" is conservative U2.

It's a hard thing, but the band has to be experimental enough to make songs sound very different, but also find great melodies without resorting to what's already been established as popular.

Poor Muldy, you don't understand the context of the 90's nor do you understand the context of U2...:sad:

You can talk about slow songs being popular, etc, but it's not that predictable. "Bad" is not a radio-friendly song and wasn't intended as such. And the irony is that U2 needed success more than ever in those early days, as a struggling band and didn't cave in

Or maybe U2, as a struggling band, were not good enough in creating a commercially successfull song. They were certainly trying, with songs like I Will Follow, Pride (and the single that never became one, Pete The Chop).

it's impossible at this point to predict whether these "hits" are actually radio friendly. it's also impossible to speculate the quality of the songs on the new album. if these "hits" are BFFTS and EBW, then i'm feeling pretty good about things.

Sorry. I mean to say ...

LOTS OF HITS??????

onozomg.gif

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. :heart:

Hey, guys, I heard U2 is working on a new album in New Zealand and Australia! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Exactly! Interesting, interesting, interesting topic. Ah hum. :hmm:

Will they keep Every Breaking Wave as:

A swelling soul-pop song, with bright synth sounds influenced by OMD and, Bono says, "early electronica." "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul [like this],"

Or will it be Danger Moused into something else?

"Early electronica" could fit in well with DM... but we still don't know if any SOA tracks were reworked for this project.

We don't even know for sure if Songs of Ascent has thrown Eno/Lanois/Lilywhite overboard and put Burton in charge of the ship. I still regard the two as separate projects for the time being. The Danger Mouse record was described as "Rock" whereas Bono described Songs of Ascent as the following:
Songs Of Ascent will be quieter than No Line in many ways, it’s that ghost album of hymns and Sufi singing. We’re making a kind of heartbreaker, a meditative, reflexive piece of work, but not indulgent.

Have they overhauled a project completely like this before without changing the title?
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb comes to mind of course, but I thought the working title for that was "Vertigo" for quite some time? Does anyone remember?

Exactly! Interesting, interesting, interesting topic. Ah hum. :hmm:

Will they keep Every Breaking Wave as:
A swelling soul-pop song, with bright synth sounds influenced by OMD and, Bono says, "early electronica." "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul [like this],"
Or will it be Danger Moused into something else?
Personally, I think it'll be changed into something that really fits DM's style while still keeping the basic "vibe" intact. Maybe a bit less meditative, but still very "early electronica." Here's an example of what I think it could sound like, production-wise:
YouTube - Herculean (The Good The Bad And The Queen)
In all likelihood, EBW will be the first thing anyone hears from U2 + Danger Mouse, so they'll definitely want to show how the new producer has affected their sound.

The music in that vid could easily fit into a U2 Beautiful Day style which would fit into their idea of "hits", of course Adam said it would be different than what U2 has done in the past.

"Early electronica" could fit in well with DM... but we still don't know if any SOA tracks were reworked for this project.

That's true but it would be strange to play it live and not release it on the next album. Of course we are in new territory with this band with all the project juggling. What I expect is more smoothness in transitions from one part of a song to another because that seems to be the DM style. Smooth and tight like yoga pants. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom