New album in the works while in NZ and Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... Also wouldn't mind betting that EBW and NS were deliberately given the basic, give-nothing-away Bono/Edge duet treatment.

You might be right. They might be hiding the the way the songs really sound.

However, I think that a new direction for the band would be to strip themsleves down to almost nothing. I love the spare, live versions of EBW an NS, and could see them recording them that way.

Imagine them sounding like the Sattalite of Love cover they did back in the early 90s.

I also doubt they'll include Boy Falls. They're playing it live, but the reason for that could simply be to promote the musical. From what I've heard, it's not even the best song from the musical. Do they include three or four songs from Spidey? Absolutely not. Besides, there might even be contractual restrictions on that. However, there is a side that would argue that releasing it on an album and having it featured on their tour would be a HUGE boost to the musical. And the tour. Imagine the synergy in that. So who knows.

Possibly, but the live version has, as far as I know, not included any Bono hints like "we wrote this musical about Spiderman, here's a song off it". And it doesn't look like the Spiderman song will be any sort of single which would help to promote the musical.

I think it's probably the one song from the musical Bono and Edge sold to Adam and Larry and is now a certified U2 song.

Yes, originally from Rubin, but later intented for Spiderman. Yet it's the one song in the musical credited to the whole band rather than Bono/Edge. Definitely the only Spiderman song they play live, or acknowledge, as a U2 song.

Well, we know the song came from the beach clips associated with the Rubin sessions, but it is an assumption to say that Rubin was involved with the track.

It's a reasonable assumption, but we could be wrong.

Can you provide a source. As I haven't read the quotesd in a long time I may be wrong, but I don't think they ever mentioned what sort of album the DM album is...

Rolling Stone:

FIRST LISTEN: 2011'S SUPERSTAR ALBUMS

U2: Title TBD
DUE OUT: Before May

Of the three records U2 have in the works, it's looking like the Danger Mouse-produced rock LP will come first. "The songs are more airborne, more light-footed," Bono says. "This could be our heyday."

Well, we know the song came from the beach clips associated with the Rubin sessions, but it is an assumption to say that Rubin was involved with the track.

It's a reasonable assumption, but we could be wrong.

I haven't heard that beach clip in years but didn't it have the line "boy falls from the sky" in it?

I haven't heard that beach clip in years but didn't it have the line "boy falls from the sky" in it?

it did. but it still appears to be a song that, at least musically, originated with U2. in the spider man program for boy falls, it has lyrics by Bono/Edge and music by U2. Seems to me that Boy falls is a song that originated with U2 in some fashion. It's a fair assumption that it spawned from the Rubin sessions, but it's just that, an assumption.

Yes, originally from Rubin, but later intented for Spiderman. Yet it's the one song in the musical credited to the whole band rather than Bono/Edge. Definitely the only Spiderman song they play live, or acknowledge, as a U2 song.

are you trying to say that songs from one session could end up being a part of something completely different, because sessions don't necessarily mean albums?

you kid.

boy falls from the sky is clearly from the shelved rick rubin album, which i will from here on out refer to simply as "Beard Shavings", or BS for the acronym crowd.

perhaps one day U2 will finally release this BS.

it did. but it still appears to be a song that, at least musically, originated with U2. in the spider man program for boy falls, it has lyrics by Bono/Edge and music by U2. Seems to me that Boy falls is a song that originated with U2 in some fashion. It's a fair assumption that it spawned from the Rubin sessions, but it's just that, an assumption.

But my point was that this was not intended for a U2/Rubin album, it was always intended for Spiderman.

are you trying to say that songs from one session could end up being a part of something completely different, because sessions don't necessarily mean albums?

you kid.

boy falls from the sky is clearly from the shelved rick rubin album, which i will from here on out refer to simply as "Beard Shavings", or BS for the acronym crowd.

perhaps one day U2 will finally release this BS.

Rubin sessions were never really anything more than just sessions. (they might come back to it, everyone in the band said they'd like to work with Rubin again)

Unlike the certain heavily talked about (delayed) album covered in this thread....

This month's Q magazine also has a page section focussing on the U2 'Four Projects in the works' story that everyone else has already devoured. I suppose, with Q and Rolling Stone reporting on this, it means that its getting more and more tangible.

But my point was that this was not intended for a U2/Rubin album, it was always intended for Spiderman.

The song is mostly the same song musically, a few changes, and it fades out so we don't know if the epic build up at the end was there yet or not. But aside from the line "boy falls from the sky" the lyrics seem to be completely different. One of the reasons we nicknamed that one "I Believe" was that repeating lyric which is gone now. However the new version now ends with "you believe".

I still think this song was intended for Spider-man though, at least from 2006 on, even if it started as a U2 song, just because of the article that mentions the Spider-man meeting with Bono singing the songs at his Eze house.

Given that Spidey was started in what, 2002? It is entirely likely that Bono just played a CD of songs he had been working on lyrically at the time away fromthe band from various projects.

I always thought All My Life sounded like it should be on a soundtrack. Does anyuone know if it evolved into a Spidey song?

Perhaps we will soon know! The guy on youtube who posted Rise Above, says he has the whole show audio. Just "beach clip" quality, but enough to be able to recognize songs from other beach clips.

The song is mostly the same song musically, a few changes, and it fades out so we don't know if the epic build up at the end was there yet or not. But aside from the line "boy falls from the sky" the lyrics seem to be completely different. One of the reasons we nicknamed that one "I Believe" was that repeating lyric which is gone now. However the new version now ends with "you believe".

I still think this song was intended for Spider-man though, at least from 2006 on, even if it started as a U2 song, just because of the article that mentions the Spider-man meeting with Bono singing the songs at his Eze house.

I should probably also add that he'd almost completely forgotten the lyrics and changed them again by the time they rehearsed it in Auckland, so the lyric thing probably makes no difference at all. :wink:

Rubin sessions were never really anything more than just sessions. (they might come back to it, everyone in the band said they'd like to work with Rubin again)

Unlike the certain heavily talked about (delayed) album covered in this thread....

Sessions, um, sort of produce every studio album ever made.
So "just sessions"...doesn't really mean anything at all.

All due respect...this is not a difficult concept.
Do you remember when Adam said they had 10 songs way back after the Elevation tour had ended? He said they had enough for another album.
And then of course in 2002, this album was always 'just around the corner'.

Now pretend Adam said they were going to call it "Buttermilk" rather than just simply being a 'working' set of songs with no titles, which what U2 ALWAYS have. And then they continued to record and record and record...and HTDAAB shows up in 2004.

This SOA fascination is like asking "what happened to Buttermilk?".
It's called HTDAAB now...

"SOA" is/was essentially nothing more than a provisional title for an idea.
It will be called something else and that idea for a meditative album is likely long gone. So they will take that working set of songs, and use the best of them for new material in 2011, 2012 and so on.

Songs of Ascent is nothing more than "Adam".
Are you wondering what happened to the album "Adam"?
Because it's called Achtung Baby.

What about the Chris Thomas album? Do you believe it's sitting on a shelf somewhere?

It's like Jubilee or Full Metal Jacket which would later become Beautiful Day and Vertigo, respectively. Are you wondering what happened to Jubilee or FMJ? Bono called FMJ "the mother of all rock songs"...what happened to that long rumored song?

We will hear "Songs of Ascent" when those songs show up somewhere, probably on album #13. In other words, we can probably drop "Songs of Ascent" now.

maybe it's still the provisional title...but that doesn't mean it's separate project apart from Danger Mouse or a "club album"...I don't buy this alternate universe version of U2 (where they have two or more albums in the works...hahaha) anymore than I believe Bono still sings like he could in 1985. I absolutely believe there will be only the one album, the next album #13. All of this nonsense about three, four projects is just that....it will all end up under the same umbrella.

Why? Because I follow what the band do, rather than what they (or specifically Bono) say. They are unreliable when it comes to this sort of thing...and yet the past tells us that U2 like to get the best shit in place...because they end up not liking so much of the rest of it.

Think about the last 4 album sessions...think about how long they took.
They aren't producing 20, 30 album worthy songs in these sessions.
Any of them. So how could they find two albums of stuff in the same space it took them to find about 15 (including b-sides) for the HTDAAB period (2002-2004)? They're gonna have about 12 songs from all of this. It's nice to get excited...but all U2's prognostication (abotu their own work/timetables or even quality) always ends up being inflated.

That's okay, it's hard to guess when it's going to come out...they mean well.

Do you remember when Adam said they had 10 songs way back after the Elevation tour had ended? He said they had enough for another album.

Now pretend Adam said they were going to call it "Buttermilk" rather than just simply being a 'working' set of songs with no titles, which what U2 ALWAYS have. And then they continued to record and record and record...and HTDAAB shows up in 2004.

It will be called something else and that idea for a meditative album is likely long gone. So they will take that working set of songs, and use the best of them for new material in 2011, 2012 and so on.

What about the Chris Thomas album? Do you believe it's sitting on a shelf somewhere?

It's like Jubilee or Full Metal Jacket which would later become Beautiful Day and Vertigo, respectively. Are you wondering what happened to Jubilee or FMJ? Bono called FMJ "the mother of all rock songs"...what happened to that long rumored song?

We will hear "Songs of Ascent" when those songs show up somewhere, probably on album #13. In other words, we can probably drop "Songs of Ascent" now.

maybe it's still the provisional title...but that doesn't mean it's separate project apart from Danger Mouse or a "club album"...I don't buy this alternate universe version of U2 (where they have two or more albums in the works...hahaha) anymore than I believe Bono still sings like he could in 1985. I absolutely believe there will be only the one album, the next album #13. All of this nonsense about three, four projects is just that....it will all end up under the same umbrella.

Why? Because I follow what the band do, rather than what they (or specifically Bono) say. They are unreliable when it comes to this sort of thing...and yet the past tells us that U2 like to get the best shit in place...because they end up not liking so much of the rest of it.

Any of them. So how could they find two albums of stuff in the same space it took them to find about 15 (including b-sides) for the HTDAAB period (2002-2004)? They're gonna have about 12 songs from all of this. It's nice to get excited...but all U2's prognostication (abotu their own work/timetables or even quality) always ends up being inflated.

Stop making sense. It's never good to do that here. ;)

Stop making sense.
image.jpg

Who got it?

Not every session makes an album. And the Rick Rubin ones didn't. Or Chris Thomas. There was, however, a little more to Eno/Lanois sessions and SOA.

Do you remember the events with that particuar album "around the corner" in late 2003 and early 2004 ? Why it showed up in 2004 ?

Provisional song titles and album half-serious titles are just that. They don't mean anything with regards to SOA which was a 12 song project intented to be out in late 2009, with a chosen lead single and still the most talked about follow-up for NLOTH well into 2010. That said, yes, it may not be the exact same album when they decide to return to it and when it will be released...but that's not really the point being made.
You really think it's completely gone ? U2 scrapping Eno/Lanois work ? Or it is more likely they realised a) the atmosperic SOA may not be as hot live as the rock album DM is working on, and b) that it might be good to go away from Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite for a while ?

I don't see them mashing up 4 projects into one, they don't work like that. It would be a complete mess to try and fit a dance album (named producers), a rock album (a different producer named), a musical (I'll believe it when Adam and Larry agrree to it) and a atmospheric album into one.

I don't see them mashing up 4 projects into one, they don't work like that.

You're right. They only make cohesive albums that have similar sounds throughout. Like how Mofo and Wake Up Dead Man sound totally like they came from the same session where they wanted to do dancy songs. Or Stand Up Comedy and Fez--sometimes I can't tell those two apart; they obviously came from the same session of world-inspired music from Morocco! And they never ever recycle things from old projects into new ones; that would be like mashing, oh, I dunno, 4 projects into one! And they don't work like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom