NEW album in next 6 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it can't hurt to hope. It's true we've gotten used to the idea of a u2 album every number years 97, 00 , 04 . But October the first albums came out fast. not to mention zooropa. Maybe the idea of the extra dates is motivation right? The gap between the third and fourth legs of ZooTV was almost half a year right, that's kinda the same as this isn't it? It shouldnt be hard to believe that u2 have found themselves in the same scenario, and are defininf if they are go for an album. Read at the end of the world, it's there. They'll make the call one of these days i guess.

Blue Room said:

U2 typically record or have at least 20 to 25 songs they weed down to an album when they record. They have leftovers from other sessions all the time. Didnt speed up the process much in the past. Thats why I think 2008, but like I said, 2007 is feasible, I wouldnt shocked either way if it was late 2007 with a tour in 2008 like you said. But I wont be shocked if its not until 2008 either. I think the least likely is an album this year or before the spring of next year.
lol, I agree
not even waiting another 3 years would shock me really

I sure hope not,
but it is U2 we're talking about.

After a couple of hours well needed sleep, I listened to the clips again and may have to contradict myself a little. I posted that the songs might be in the mixing stage by now, but after giving them a go with fresh ears I’m not so sure about that anymore. To me it sounds like Edge is playing along to a backing track in 404, and that Bono is doing the same in 402, at least in some places.
This could still mean that the songs are just about there, but the band is exploring new possibilities/layers to add.
There is something else that strikes me when listening to these songs…
Bomb was the grown up counterpart to Boy in many ways. Could it be that the new album is the grown up counterpart to October? I’m not talking musically, but in theme. Though it’s hard to decipher the actual words, I can’t help but thinking these songs are all about spirituality and coming to terms with believes. October was a spiritual band struggling with their faith versus the chosen lifestyle as rock musicians, the uncertainty about all that. The new songs sound like worship to me. Maybe I’m putting way too much into these clips, but they all have a very positive vibe that could suggest something like that. If that is the case, it could mean that U2 have stopped caring so much about being the biggest rock band in the world. I don’t know, I might just be rambling here… I blame it on the freaking heat!:)

gherman said:

You hate them because I'm right:wink:

You could be right. I was being pissy about the language you used before, but I shouldn't have. Sorry.

I have no idea when an album will come out, I just like to have the hope that it could come out this year, even if it is unlikely. As others have said, they could just release a single (maybe with a b-side) or an EP, but I am not sure if U2 would do that at this point. Seems very un-U2ish compared to markerting campaigns behind their last couple albums.

Folkelig said:
After a couple of hours well needed sleep, I listened to the clips again and may have to contradict myself a little. I posted that the songs might be in the mixing stage by now, but after giving them a go with fresh ears I’m not so sure about that anymore. To me it sounds like Edge is playing along to a backing track in 404, and that Bono is doing the same in 402, at least in some places.
This could still mean that the songs are just about there, but the band is exploring new possibilities/layers to add.
Bomb was the grown up counterpart to Boy in many ways. Could it be that the new album is the grown up counter

part to October? I’m not talking musically, but in theme. Though it’s hard to decipher the actual words, I can’t help but thinking these songs are all about spirituality and coming to terms with believes. October was a spiritual band struggling with their faith versus the chosen lifestyle as rock musicians, the uncertainty about all that. The new songs sound like worship to me. Maybe I’m putting way too much into these clips, but they all have a very positive vibe that could suggest something like that. If that is the case, it could mean that U2 have stopped caring so much about being the biggest rock band in the world. I don’t know, I might just be rambling here… I blame it on the freaking heat!:)

Interesting take. Very possible.

But what I really love is...

WAR II (2010)!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

U2 album release years...

85 (WAIA)
95 (Passengers & Melon)
98 (Best of)
03 (Best of)

As you can see, there's absolutely no precedence for waiting 4 years for new music. So for anyone saying 2008 is a good date for the album...I guess they're going to release a remix CD. :eyebrow:

Folkelig said:
Bomb was the grown up counterpart to Boy in many ways. Could it be that the new album is the grown up counterpart to October? I’m not talking musically, but in theme. Though it’s hard to decipher the actual words, I can’t help but thinking these songs are all about spirituality and coming to terms with believes. October was a spiritual band struggling with their faith versus the chosen lifestyle as rock musicians, the uncertainty about all that. The new songs sound like worship to me. Maybe I’m putting way too much into these clips, but they all have a very positive vibe that could suggest something like that. If that is the case, it could mean that U2 have stopped caring so much about being the biggest rock band in the world. I don’t know, I might just be rambling here… I blame it on the freaking heat!:)

I, for one, would love something like that in terms of theme. I like October's purpose but sometimes the music gets a little repetitive... And in terms of an album, I'm going to hope for 2007, 2006 just seems like a bit of a long shot to me.

LemonMelon said:
U2 album release years...

85 (WAIA)
95 (Passengers & Melon)
98 (Best of)
03 (Best of)

As you can see, there's absolutely no precedence for waiting 4 years for new music. So for anyone saying 2008 is a good date for the album...I guess they're going to release a remix CD. :eyebrow:

ok..but their average from what you have posted is approx 2 years between albums with a few exceptions.. And since it seems this new stuff started being worked on this year (considering that they toured all last year I doubt they had time to work on it then) at least that's my guess then it would be 2008 for a release date or at the very least some time later next year.

I REALLY HOPE they won't release an album by the end of the year (yet again :| ). What's the hurry in release some s*** in November?. I can't see the point, really. Of course, that's just matter of album sales and all that stuff. But what I'm talking about U2 shouldn't put an album within 6 months, considering they haven't wrote an outstanding single song and the beach clips just presents an out of ideas band trying to write music just because, do you know what I mean?

Of course any new U2 album will sell millions of millions and will be number one in US and UK, so they have nothing to worry about, they should worry about their dying ability to write good music instead :(

ponkine said:
I REALLY HOPE they won't release an album by the end of the year (yet again :| ). What's the hurry in release some s*** in November?. I can't see the point, really. Of course, that's just matter of album sales and all that stuff. But what I'm talking about U2 shouldn't put an album within 6 months, considering they haven't wrote an outstanding single song and the beach clips just presents an out of ideas band trying to write music just because, do you know what I mean?

Of course any new U2 album will sell millions of millions and will be number one in US and UK, so they have nothing to worry about, they should worry about their dying ability to write good music instead :(

...or maybe the outstanding single exists, but it just has not been heard yet. I'm dying for new material, but I'm with you about U2 not rushing to release an album just because of pressure.

ponkine said:

I really don't think that you will be happy with anything U2 makes at this point, whether they spend 6 months or 6 years on it. I like the beach clips, but I don't want to judge a potential album based on four and a half songs with very bad sound quality. Anyway, you could argue that they spent too much time on the recent albums that you do not like. They actually spent only a few months on their 80's output and Zooropa.

I don't know...I think two things speak against a 2006 album: there's been NO hype and no announced producer.

I think right now and till November U2 are putting down the usual 20-24 songs from which they will select the material to work on. Announce the producer in early Spring, and come out with the album in the autumn months.

I dont think we will see an album before Christmas 2007 at the earliest. To reach this release date they would have to stop recording by Spring next year and then enter into the mixing phase until the summer. A Spring 2008 release seems more likely to me.

If they were going to release an album by Christmas we'd hear about it by September. We didn't get the Atomic tracklisting or hear vertigo until that point anyway. Although personally, I think a release next year is more likely.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

ok..but their average from what you have posted is approx 2 years between albums with a few exceptions.. And since it seems this new stuff started being worked on this year (considering that they toured all last year I doubt they had time to work on it then) at least that's my guess then it would be 2008 for a release date or at the very least some time later next year.

if the average is two years between albums, then why would it be 2008? :huh:
also, U2 DOES work on stuff on tour, ask anyone who has listened to soundchecks, they usually hear U2 jamming. They rarely actually record while on tour, but they begin the songwriting process.

The fact that U2 played these songs loud enough for people to hear makes me suspicious...ultimately since no producer has been named we probably won't see an actual album til 2007, but I doubt we'll have to wait til 2008. It would be cool, though, if U2 released a record with almost no hype except the little things like the beach clips. Really, that might be a smart move. It'd be something different, at least.

It would really be a mistake if U2 waited to release the album in mid to late 2007, IMO. U2 needs to put the pressure on themselves again. When U2 had to finish Zooropa, they put the songs together in ways they probably wouldn't have otherwise. I'm suggesting that a 2006 release or early 2007 release would feature songs that weren't overdone in production and would feature some real creativity. Those seemed to be the big problems people had with Bomb.

Screwtape2 said:
It would really be a mistake if U2 waited to release the album in mid to late 2007, IMO. U2 needs to put the pressure on themselves again. When U2 had to finish Zooropa, they put the songs together in ways they probably wouldn't have otherwise. I'm suggesting that a 2006 release or early 2007 release would feature songs that weren't overdone in production and would feature some real creativity. Those seemed to be the big problems people had with Bomb.

:up: Personally I love Bomb, but the production is one of my main issues with it. I pray that U2 doesn't ruin what seem to be very good songs with bad production this time around. imo, Zooropa is their best produced album, and it took the least time to make! (besides perhaps the very earliest albums)

AtomicBono said:

also, U2 DOES work on stuff on tour, ask anyone who has listened to soundchecks, they usually hear U2 jamming. They rarely actually record while on tour, but they begin the songwriting process.

The fact that U2 played these songs loud enough for people to hear makes me suspicious...ultimately since no producer has been named we probably won't see an actual album til 2007, but I doubt we'll have to wait til 2008. It would be cool, though, if U2 released a record with almost no hype except the little things like the beach clips. Really, that might be a smart move. It'd be something different, at least.

Maybe U2 wants to surprise everyone with a winter release. Why would U2 do ten shows and stop touring for awhile? Bono often says it's hard to come down from the high of touring. I suspect U2 might start up another tour or add Vertigo legs in early to mid 2007 after the album's release.

AtomicBono said:

Just a assumption on my part. I agree, I think the album will be more likely released next year (if you look back at my previous posts in this thread ) sometime probably in the fall. The 2008 prediction is worse case scenario.

We all are assuming here. None of us really know what stage they are at with this new album. Also, who knows what will happen with this new album/aka problems that may occur.. lots of factors that could happen. But if it runs smoothly then we should see something next year.

I am aware of them jamming the new songs in rehearsals/soundchecks.. I was referring to actual studio work which they just don't have time for really during a tour.

I am suspicious too of these beach recordings considering what happened with the last album.

even if this album will be released in 2008 that won't mean that the band will spend 2 years in the studio writing extra guitar lines so that we can all complain about the production

they have a tour to finish
they have families
they have a record company
they need an (or several) available producer(s)

not everything is a ploy to piss off the fans

The lack of an official announcement regarding producer has been given as argument for the new album being in its early stages, rather than well on its way, by many people on this forum. I don’t bye it.
If the new album consists of leftovers from previous albums + a handful of new songs, these songs have already been produced by someone (Lillywhite, Thomas, Lanios, Eno ect.). If U2 have been working on new material, not leftovers, they could’ve easily been produced by Edge or even the band as a whole. Flood could have been working as a part-time engineer and part-time producer on this record without the band feeling an urge to make a public announcement about it. If the band already knew were they were going with this, when they started recordings, I don’t see why they couldn’t produce it themselves. They surely have experience enough to the job by now.
My guess is that the new album will have many different producers credited in the sleeve.

I really don’t know if we are gonna have a new album this year or not, but the producer argument just doesn’t hold. Naturally my case will be shattered to pieces if or when an official announcement is made within the next couple of month
:ohmy:

I think I would rather wait till late 2007. I still haven't heard the entire catalogue, but remember they still have to tour. Not sure releasing a new album with all new songs would be the right thing to do in the middle of a tour, but hey they have done it before.

I really wish I had never downloaded Mercy.

I'm hoping and praying that we will get something from them by autumn/winter this year. I dont care about new books or DVD's. We all love u2 because of the music and more new music is what i want!
I think they could easily have something out by November, they have a small tour already in place, why not? They can market it as a lowish key release. Rattle and Hum and Zooropa were born in similar circumstances, during a tour. In both cases only a few countries got to hear them showcased live and the US wasnt treated on either occasion. The Aussies got to hear the stuff first and I'm sure that will happen this time too.

^If the new songs are 'leftovers' from HTDAAB, I would think they could bring them out by late 2006. The material would probably work well with what's left of the current tour. (I'm hoping too!) In any case, we'll probably get an idea of whats on their agenda by mid to late August.

ponkine said:

HTDAAB (as much as I love it) and especially ATYCLB were shined up far too much, IMO. If they released a 2006 or early 2007 album, it would prevent that "whittling down to nubs" thing they've gotten a reputation for doing. I really want to hear punk rock from Venus! :rockon:

Roll on, November...

Back
Top Bottom