New Album in 2007 - atu2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the internet was around back in the early 90s, what would he have said about "Achtung Baby?"

We're experimenting with Latin salsa music...:huh:

U2girl said:

BTW, yes, we are aware of Ignore button (all it takes is someone quoting the "Ignore" person to see the post anyway). We do not seek such posts, but it's impossible to avoid them when the whole forum is polluted. It has been discussed in Don't expect suggest forum too.

A part of me hopes the next album IS "ATYCLB part II" just so posters doing this will finally knock it off. Or will they? :hmm:

Could the moderators not create a seperate forum entitled 'Only Happy When I'm Moaning ' so these people can enjoy one gigantic un-interrupted bitch fest? Seriously..

Irvine511 said:

maybe you do need to find another band. and i don't mean that as a personal put-down or anything. U2 have absolutely no obligation to us than to make the music that they currently want to create -- it is up to us whether we want to meet them where they are. experimentation for the sake of experimentation would be blatantly obvious on any record and it would sound completely phony.

i love Pop, i love ATYCLB, but for very different reasons. i see nothing wrong with this.

how can anyone see this as anything but good news?

:shrug:

Agreed. People now and then mention how some pre-AB fans didn't like the change to 90s U2. But I can also imagine the same thing happening to people who were pre-UF fans. I mean, UF, JT, and RAH have such a different vibe to them than Boy through War----so much less hard-hitting, so much less punkish, etc. I can just imagine people from 80-83 saying that 84-89 U2 is boring and sleepy.

I don't think that anyone who's saying the same of 00s U2 is really saying anything original...and it'd help if both these people and others would recognize that. U2 will make the music that they feel like making in any one moment. Everything they do is a progression---and their music ultimately changes fairly radically as time goes on. In the meantime, every album, every step of the way, is fantastic in its own right. The next album may not be a radical change from the last two, but I'll guarantee it's a progression of some sort, and I'll guarantee that I'll like it no less than any other. U2 is a band that does not stay the same, and that's one of the things that makes them so lasting & so exciting. Big change or little change, it's pretty lame to expect the next album to be ATYCLB III---especially as HTDAAB was a progression from ATYCLB. The next one will be at least one step further, if not more. An album or two after that, who knows where we'll be.

GibsonGirl said:

Surely Bono doesn't ACTUALLY believe that the next album will be better than something like The Joshua Tree?

But he should, and I really believe he does. Why else bother? Whenever I'm doing something (sports, writing, at work, you name it), I always try to do better than last time. Why else try?

i think, though, that it's a sign of one of the band's strengths that people get so angry about their shifts in style. it means we're listening. we take them seriously. and, most importantly, we as fans believe in U2. i cannot think of another artist that inspires such deep love in their audience, and such feelings of being "hurt" or "betrayed" when they switch directions. people tend to run hot and cold on U2 -- sure, they have some songs that are fairly universally admired, but i can't think of too many bands where people will go out of their way to express strong emotions either for or against them.

i think most of us deeply love a particular album, and we want that feeling back -- the scope of Joshua Tree, the angst of Achtung, the thrills of Pop, or the warmth of ATYCLB -- ever time we get a new album. and when we don't get exactly what we want from them, we get angry. and that's fine. some of us are in it for them, we believe in them, not in an album, (not that one is better than the other) and i think U2 win as many new fans as they lose as many old fans with each new album. if you love Zooropa with all your heart, then i can see why ATYCLB sounds like "dad rock." however, if you loved where U2 were at when they were making Zooropa, then you might be able to love where U2 are at when they made Bomb.

ultimately, disappointment, and elation, might be part of the long journey of being a U2 fan. they're never going to serve you the same meal twice, but i think we'd do ourselves a disservice not to try and evalute each meal on it's own merits, and not on our memories of previous meals.

Irvine511 said:
ultimately, disappointment, and elation, might be part of the long journey of being a U2 fan. they're never going to serve you the same meal twice, but i think we'd do ourselves a disservice not to try and evalute each meal on it's own merits, and not on our memories of previous meals.
:up:

Feels like someone has been on the 'Random Bono Speech Generator' program again.

But I can't wait!

ponkine said:

Actually Punk Rock From Venus was describin ATYCLB sessions back in 2000 !!!!!!:blahblah:

We have read the same Bono's moneytalks since 2000 :madwife:

Damn, I have to be right, but ... as I announced in 2005 ... ATYCLB III is coming:reject:

Please my friends, don't let Bono's cheap words fool you again. He has been saying fairly the same since early 2000, you know, "Back to our roots", "real punk rock album", "best album since Joshua Tree", "our best collection of songs ever", etc, etc ...

What does it mean: Mainstream album, unoriginal, copy-paste effort from ATYCLB, lame, rather boring, predictable, cliche, uninspired, tired and forgettable, filled with mid tempo and slow cliches with just a couple of rock songs as fish hook :shrug:

The title for the next album should be All That U2 Can't Dismantle And Leave Behind

:wink:

The best thing is that I don't think Ponkine even realizes he is as redundant and predictable as Bono.

ChangeTheTemperature said:
Something happens when we play, we have some sort of chemistry. And Edge, right now, is on fire. He's really rockin'. He's playing guitar like I've never seen him playing guitar. So, I like to think that the best is yet to come."

It's liek PUNK ROCK on VENUS.

AM I RITE? :|

:wink: :drool:

RABIDLAMB said:
I still find it difficult to see them going back out on tour without any new material.
Maybe they'll do a Radiohead and debut the new material live first before perfecting it in the studio.
Now that wouldbe progressive for U2.

Now THAT would be a way to make a great, great album. They won't do it though :(

GibsonGirl said:

KEUF, I was agreeing with you until that last part. Why should people be forced to add "in my opinion" to everything at Interference? You know it's his opinion. Ponkine didn't say "U2 are going to release ATYCLB Part III, and this is irrefutable fact. I know first-hand because I have heard the album." He didn't say that at all. Everything that ponkine 'claimed' was opinion. I agree that he might have presented it in an I Know Best kind of fashion, but it was still only his opinion.

As for the discussion, I don't mind Bono praising U2's work. It would be pretty stupid of him (from a commercial stance) to say that things weren't going well. However, is there any need for him to say "I would like to think that we're doing our best work now," honestly? Say it's going well. Say you're pleased about the way things are turning out.
so, basically, you think that Bono should form all his sentences in a "In my opinion" kinda way, unless his opinion about the work they're actually doing will in the end be considered fact by everyone else

but the rest of the world can judge their work as if they were there when it was being made and we should never regard anything as being anything other then just an opinion no matter the amount of bollocks that is used when posting it

curious

shart1780 said:

Now THAT would be a way to make a great, great album.
what evidence is there that testing an album on the road will end up making a great, great album

if U2 will expose their music to the people who come to their concerts - and keep in mind that the vast majority of these people are far from being diehard U2 fans - and let the way the people react influence the record they're making it would actually make more sense for the album to turn out as the most commercial, middle of the road thing they've ever released

Salome said:
so, basically, you think that Bono should form all his sentences in a "In my opinion" kinda way, unless his opinion about the work they're actually doing will in the end be considered fact by everyone else

but the rest of the world can judge their work as if they were there when it was being made and we should never regard anything as being anything other then just an opinion no matter the amount of bollocks that is used when posting it

curious

Uh, no. I'm not saying that at all. How on earth did you deduce that? All I'm saying is that I think Bono's hyperbole machine is going to break down one of these days if he keeps on abusing it. There is absolutely no link between writing about Bono's tendancy to over-exaggerate things and writing about the ridiculous way that people at Interference get blasted for not adding "IMO" to the end of each post.

who knows but Pink Floyd toured Dark side of the moon one year before it was released........

there are bands who have done this too and the results have been :drool: IMO

Last edited:
so you reckon that Ponkine isn't overstating his opinions, but that Bono is????

if Ponkine really feels so strong about it he would already have left this forum crying years ago

let us not kid ourselves

there seems to be no way to accuse Bono of hyperbole and the rest of us as merely expressing opinion by default while the result is equally ridiculous

gibsongirl i think you just need to look at the way ponkine says things, its not about saying its all in his opinion, its just the way he expresses it, i'll just take one quote to back myself up

"What does it mean: Mainstream album, unoriginal, copy-paste effort from ATYCLB, lame, rather boring, predictable, cliche, uninspired, tired and forgettable, filled with mid tempo and slow cliches with just a couple of rock songs as fish hook"

and also, why oh why do we need people demanding change in direction just because they dont like it?,

Salome said:
so you reckon that Ponkine isn't overstating his opinions, but that Bono is????

if Ponkine really feels so strong about it he would already have left this forum crying years ago

let us not kid ourselves

there seems to be no way to accuse Bono of hyperbole and the rest of us as merely expressing opinion by default while the result is equally ridiculous

You don't get it. That's not what I was responding to when I addressed KEUF's post. I was responding to an issue exclusive to this forum, and you're applying it to things in general. I find it annoying when people repeatedly pipe up saying "you should really include 'in my opinion' to your posts instead of stating your opinions as fact" It should be common knowledge around Interference that everything written by the posters here is opinion. And yes, I find it equally as annoying when you get the same people like ponkine spouting off their U2 doom posts day in and day out. But I don't feel the need to nag and tell them to write three stupid little words to make myself feel better.

Sure, Bono's wildly enthusiastic pre-album release comments are "only his opinion." I never said they weren't. You're implying that I feel this way, just because I haven't clarified. I didn't feel the need to clarify, because they're two completely different issues.

I'm not applying anything
let allone that I apply things in general

I am just amazed that apparently Bono expressing his opinion on the band's work is considered unnecessary hyperbole by you
but unnecessary hyperbole in this forum is considered as an obvious statement of opinion

not that I really care, but it just seems odd to me

KUEFC09U2 said:
gibsongirl i think you just need to look at the way ponkine says things, its not about saying its all in his opinion, its just the way he expresses it, i'll just take one quote to back myself up

No, I do agree with you. I even said in my second post in this thread that I thought ponkine was expressing his opinion a little aggressively. But I don't see the point in bringing it up every single time. In almost every thread where there are people disagreeing with U2's direction, you'll almost always see people around here telling them to stop stating their opinions as fact or telling them that they should add "IMO" to their posts. You know ponkine's opinion isn't fact.

xaviMF22 said:
who knows but Pink Floyd toured Dark side of the moon one year before it was released........

there are bands who have done this too and the results have been :drool: IMO
and there probably are a lot of bands out there who test just about all their material on the road and still manage to stink the joint up

I don't see any logic that testing material on the road has to lead to a good album
and in the case of U2 I actually doubt it even more
because of reasons I expressed before

Salome said:

I am just amazed that apparently Bono expressing his opinion on the band's work is considered unnecessary hyperbole by you
but unnecessary hyperbole in this forum is considered as an obvious statement of opinion

not that I really care, but it just seems odd to me

To be quite honest, I don't give a bloody toss if you think it's odd. I still think you're trying to link two issues that are completely unrelated. But hey, that's your opinion. :happy:

Ah, Interference.

Salome said:
I'm not applying anything
let allone that I apply things in general
I like applying things too, but sometimes a gel-based applicator can help.

well let's take it for what it is folks... he's writing new songs with his best friends and he's excited. if we know anything about Bono, we know he's an excitable guy who loves to talk. lets also remember that since 1987, U2 has been a SONG oriented band and at this stage of the process its just the four of them banging around ideas in a rehearsal studio. so of course its going to be raw and punk guitar driven at this point. the tweaking of the arrangements and the production come along later and that's where they are likely to get the change in direction sonically, if any. (and I for one, hope they shake things up a bit next time out. The songcraft of HTDAAB with the out-there weirdness of Zooropa... that would be absolutely bad ass.)

I don't think the band ever decides what kind of record they're making ahead of time. They can make some artististic descisions such as producer and studio location, but I think one of the reasons we all love them the way we do is that they are faithful to where the songs take them as opposed to the opposite. So to speculate what kind of album we're going to get based on what Bono says at this stage is fun and all... but ultimately kinda silly.

Surely Bono doesn't ACTUALLY believe that the next album will be better than something like The Joshua Tree?
What about being an enthousiastic of your band's work and be excited to make statements like these? Of course that this is free-previous publicity, but can we give some credibility and believe that it all comes from the excitement of a recording session or from the stage of making new songs?
It can happen.

And I agree with Iskra on the "business cycle" nature of album releases. Surely, if the album is good enough, it will sell well regardless of when you release it? Okay, there are the people out there who just want to buy the "hottest thing" for their family and friends at Christmas. To me, that just turns the music into a gimmick. Like the latest technological goodie that everyone wants. It's so stupid. I understand U2 wanting to make lots and lots of money, but it just seems like they trivialise their music when they release it at a time that will guarantee them a high amount of sales; based purely on the Christmas frenzy and not the music itself. Lots of bands/record companies do this, but I don't agree with it at all.

Can't wait for the "but he said they're into hip hop!!" posts when the next one comes out.

And I agree with Iskra on the "business cycle" nature of album releases. Surely, if the album is good enough, it will sell well regardless of when you release it? Okay, there are the people out there who just want to buy the "hottest thing" for their family and friends at Christmas. To me, that just turns the music into a gimmick. Like the latest technological goodie that everyone wants. It's so stupid. I understand U2 wanting to make lots and lots of money, but it just seems like they trivialise their music when they release it at a time that will guarantee them a high amount of sales; based purely on the Christmas frenzy and not the music itself. Lots of bands/record companies do this, but I don't agree with it at all.

Can't wait for the "but he said they're into hip hop!!" posts when the next one comes out.

I don't think that's all about the sales boost when an album is released in the Xmas period.
Yes, editors and publishes force it for the reason we all know it, but it all depends on the tactic and on the schedule of other albums that are coming out.
Do you think that Coldplay's "X&Y" would sell more if it was released in the year's fall? I don't think so...

Then, Bono never said properly they're into hip-hop or they're working in something inspirated with it. There were declaration about the desire of working with Kanye West, and if I remember his statements could mean that the band's next direction is so innovative and fresh in the same way hip-hop is nowadays...

Last edited:
I seemed to miss the part where "I hate to be right...I announced it...ATYCLB III is coming" wasn't posted as a fact, followed by a description what it sounds like.
It also gets annoying when, and this is not just this poster, 99% of someone's posts turn into "U2 post 2000 is crap, I hate ATYCLB, Bano can't sing, it's clear my friends U2 is over, Bomb sucks" etc. The best part, of course is, when people point this out, they get reprimanded asap. You know... "haha! don't reply to him!" "ignore this!" "it's just an opinion! get over it!" "we can't all be sheeps and blind followers!" "but it's a discussion forum!" and oldie but goldie "i don't want to read complaining about complaints!"

What is the point if all you're ever going to do is shit on the last two albums? It can't be healthy to get so negative over music. And if it's stirring things up, well, I hope you get flamed as much as possible for it. Please do not tell me your idea of discussing things is bash-around-the-clock.
At least have the common courtesy and turn off the anti-propaganda (I mean "honest, non-biased, fair" opinion) once in a while. Try posting about album you, um, like? For a change? Like most people here do? Doesn't it get boring, to keep harping on the same albums, over and over and over and over and over and over again?

BTW, yes, we are aware of Ignore button (all it takes is someone quoting the "Ignore" person to see the post anyway). We do not seek such posts, but it's impossible to avoid them when the whole forum is polluted. It has been discussed in Don't expect suggest forum too.

Will you marry me?:drool: You said what's got to be said. 200% agreed.

There's not a problem about the IMO or "this is just my humble opinion". Of course we shouldn't be obligated to use that in each sentence we post, that'd be absurd.
The point is in the way we post the things, and some folks here use their semantic and syntaxis in an insinuative way and post their comments as irrefutable truth.

Back
Top Bottom