NEW ALBUM in 2006!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So that`s why the b-sides are crappy this time around!:wink:
They are keeping the gems ( left-overs ) for the new album.

We only got Are You Gonna Wait Forever so far as the only new track b-side , the rest is just mixes and mixes and mixes:madspit: !

Can`t wait to see the new album to happen , what would it be like?
Songs like Mercy :drool: , Smile:drool: :drool: , etc....
This could be super!!!!

Cheers ,

Mauwer

mkdominatr said:
that would be awesome but at the same time i dont want them to release a cd full of b sides, no matter how good everyone thinks mercy is...its not cut for radio.

Thats one of the great things about Mercy. It sounds like U2 making great music without worrying who is in the room or how its going to sell. This concern with airplay and album sales is why the last two albums have fallen short of greatness. I think another LP or even an EP next year would be great. Alienate the fairweather fans and make some great music that takes some investment to get into like Zooropa.

but it's available... and i'm sure the band knows it was leaked. why would they release a new cd featuring stuff that people have already had for over a year? doesn't make sense... if this were true, which i doubt, i would have to imagine it would contain nothing but stuff that we have yet to hear... that johnny cash song they talked about, the song produced by dr. dre, etc. etc.

Headache, I bet they have a treasure trove of outakes from HTDAAB, and the ones we got on the Complete U2 are the ones the deemed disposable. They could also work some more on those song to make them more "complete"? Anything is possible.

But do I think we'll see a new album next Spring? NO!!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
but it's available... and i'm sure the band knows it was leaked. why would they release a new cd featuring stuff that people have already had for over a year? doesn't make sense... if this were true, which i doubt, i would have to imagine it would contain nothing but stuff that we have yet to hear... that johnny cash song they talked about, the song produced by dr. dre, etc. etc.

So because a song is leaked, they won't release it officially? Discotheque was leaked well before Pop came out - should they have not included it on that album?

No, only six months or so. Still plenty of time.

I think they purposely leaked Mercy so they could let their hardcore fans get an idea of what direction they are likely to go in with the next album. The last two albums have been great, but they are, for the most part, straightforward rock albums. I sense a slight change in direction for the next one, and Mercy, for me anyway, confirms it.

Last edited:
I think that's great, because I have a REALLY GOOD IDEA for the MERCY video...

it's a little real, a little fake in terms of history:

Adam fighting drugs
Edge with demons inside that don't let him create (or something)
Larry cheating on his girl
Bono losing faith in God/Church (as an institution)

everyone singing lines of the song...

and is in BLACK AND WHITE... and NO PERFORMING VIDEO (The Edge's part is at a studio)

in the WOOOOOO OOO OOOO part, before that mino-solo by Edge, Bono is in top of a church singing, gun in the hand (he's so confussed he wants to talk to God but kills (or appears so) a priest)

that could be a great video.. sure, Bono killing somebody look really wrong... but it's not THAT literal)

Last edited:
I could imagine them recording in the summer of 2006 and having the album out by the Christmas rush. :wink:

And as for Mercy, I don't believe the version we've heard is finalized as all. I think it'll sound much more produced and full when actually released.

I doubt that U2 knows that we have Mercy. Afterall, we are the "hardcore" fans. Only the hardcore fans have heard Mercy. The regular fans who vastly outnumber us, have never heard Mercy yet. Go to a concert, most of the ppl in the place only know the radio releases from the HTDAAB (ie, definitely a lack of audience involvement for Miracle drug). That is why I'm sure they'll put it on their next album as a different version from the Mercy we all know and love.

OK... maybe I'll change the Bono story...

but something will have to do with God / Church...

I'm not smoking anything... do I? :huh:

well.... MERCY ROCKS!!!!!

to be fair, the current album was done october 2003, only a year after the best of was released, and less than 2 years removed from the tour, but they scrapped it and started from scratch (sorta)...

they probably have 8 or 9 songs pending to be completed (probably including mercy, and perhaps some of the rare tracks)..

but if they are serious about a new album next year they better be recording during the breaks in the tour (like this whole week would be a great time)

boosterjuice said:
I doubt that U2 knows that we have Mercy. Afterall, we are the "hardcore" fans. Only the hardcore fans have heard Mercy. The regular fans who vastly outnumber us, have never heard Mercy yet. Go to a concert, most of the ppl in the place only know the radio releases from the HTDAAB (ie, definitely a lack of audience involvement for Miracle drug). That is why I'm sure they'll put it on their next album as a different version from the Mercy we all know and love.

uhh yea... we're not talking about a little garage band here. we're talking about u2... they're a huge multimillion dollar corporation.

their management knows mercy was leaked. this leak wasn't like discotheque, where it was stolen over the internet or however the hell that was done. this was a proper full mp3 of the song. which means that someone had to have had a copy of it in the first place.

If they have some unfinished songs, they could tweak them during the 2nd leg this summer and maybe work on them some more during the breaks. I'm not holding my breath, but it could be possible for a new album in 2006.

As far as leaked tunes...I think a song called "Wake Up Dead Man" appeared on a bootleg long before it was ever finished and and released officially and the end product is certainly different than the bootlegged version(s). So as far as "Mercy" goes, the song we all know may not necessarily be what it is now of the band decides to release it.

I don't think Mercy needs to be overproduced. The song is in fact well produced. The only problem is that the file that was circulating over the internet had a bad sound quality. And if they want the next album to be even more rockier, more raw and less produced, Mercy is perfect there.

About the HTDAAB production, someone reffered that by 2003 it was done. In October 2003 only the alternate versions were done. The current versions on the album are different. U2 went back in studio in 2004 (until late June) and there they worked and recorded the HTDAAB songs as we know them.

So, if there are so meny song that didn't make the final cut of HTDAAB (it was said that they were harder, more raw, and they weren't in the same line of the other songs), it's not hard to rework it and make a new good album again. In this case, it's not a great problem if they get back in studio a few months after the tour has ended and to release the new album in late2006 / early 2007.

So Mercy is being saved for the new album then if rumours are to be believed? These rumours look to have some weight behind them if you take into account the absolute crap they have been putting on the b-sides for all the single releases so far. COBL is also a weak line up of songs, with live versions from 1992 of The Fly and Even Better included and the usual shitty remix versions of another U2 song, which is it this time, All Because Of You is getting the works init? Damn cant wait to hear that!:ohmy:

Mercy was out in advance of the Complete U2, yet it was not included. The song was mentioned in Blender (or was it NME? can't remember) and apparently Bono told the girl who leaked it (or her mysterious source) that we're gonna love Mercy. I'd imagine he/they knew it would circulate to us, the hardcore fans. However, The Complete U2 Unreleased and Rare appeared to be a graveyard of songs they really liked, but never were able to rework or find a home for. One would think that with the confirmation of no Mercy on COBL single that they are likely holding it to even re-work it to fit on something new. The best example I can give you is Talk from Coldplay, which leaked some time ago. It's great...I would think it's as good as almost anything they've released, but despite knowledge of it being circulated rampantly on the web, Chris Martin has apparently re-worked it to the point that it's even better (so the early critics & Mr. Martin say) and included it on X & Y as Let's Talk.

Can anybody post the original Rolling Stone article here?

Cause I don't believe this. The only sources are a Dutch fanclub a lot of Dutch sites and the Dutch MTV station. They all talk about a Rolling Stone article......???

It was on TMF (a Dutch music channel) that the new record will be out in spring 2006!!! WHOOOOOOHHOOOOOO!!!

It contains leftovers from the HTDAAB-sessions, who didn't fit in in the HTDAAB concept!!!

:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom