New Album Hype getting interesting.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Numb1075 said:
what's not to love about Mercy? What are the flaws?:eyebrow:

I don't think it's as great as some people think it is. :shrug: To me, it's just like any other stereotypical U2 song. The lyrics, while great at times, sound like a rambling mess of metaphors on the whole. Some people tout Mercy as being some of The Edge's best guitar work since Achtung Baby... All I can say to that is WHAT THE HELL? The guitar in Mercy sounds like anything you'd find on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, only mind-numbingly boring!

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad song, I just think it's hardly worth the praise that gets slapped onto it.

GibsonGirl said:

I don't think it's as great as some people think it is. :shrug: To me, it's just like any other stereotypical U2 song. The lyrics, while great at times, sound like a rambling mess of metaphors on the whole. Some people tout Mercy as being some of The Edge's best guitar work since Achtung Baby... All I can say to that is WHAT THE HELL? The guitar in Mercy sounds like anything you'd find on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, only mind-numbingly boring!

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad song, I just think it's hardly worth the praise that gets slapped onto it.

I think the song gets talked about way way way too much.
That said, it's better than anything on the album by a good stretch. What some see as rambling lyrics, I see as a pretty honest stream of conscience with a chorus, obviously at least as strong as anything on HTDAAB. If Mercy has crap lyrics, then the HTDAAB lyrics as a whole are abominable (save for Fast Cars and select lines).

The guitar work is minimalist and it harkens back to a time when Edge not only couldn't play cock rock but didn't seem to want to.
Contrast this style with that of Miracle Drug, which does have a very nice solo, but the verse guitar and chorus guitar are so cliched, minimalist typical Edge, it leaves me thinking "how utterly obvious" featureless and flawless.

The notes in Mercy are unique in style, maybe this is boring to some, fine. If anything it owes more to the Boy style than anything, minimalist and unique, rather than minimalist and completely obvious. If you are a guitar player looking to be playing songs that are interesting technically, you got the wrong band. Edge has always been about tones and textures over techniques. But what's boring to some is not to others completely subjective.

The song is not the second coming of Christ or even the song Gone, it's just the better side of a bunch of pretty obvious and over-polished tracks, any of which would do good to reach up to the level of magic that Mercy has, in it's rambling, rawness, simplicity and all of the above.

Now with all that said, will people finally shut the fuck up about this song????

You know Smile was a pretty fucking good song as well. Let's make 8,762 threads about it and then Headache can say "I wipe my ass with a Smile" in his signature.

People need to just get over it, it's not even THAT good, it's just the smartest kid on the short bus.

U2DMfan said:
Now with all that said, will people finally shut the fuck up about this song????

You know Smile was a pretty fucking good song as well. Let's make 8,762 threads about it and then Headache can say "I wipe my ass with a Smile" in his signature.

People need to just get over it, it's not even THAT good, it's just the smartest kid on the short bus.

nah... i like Smile.

Smile was really a great song, it deserved more than to be a special song put on an I-Pod.

Smile was good. :up: I like Levitate too, Adam does some wonderful bass work in that song.

As for the minimalist guitar in Mercy, yeah, I appreciate the style. The last thing I want to see The Edge do is wank around with massive solos and what not. The only band I enjoy that has features some guitar wanking is Pink Floyd, and even they didn't do too much of it (when Roger Waters was still around, that is.) Most of the bands I like, in fact, feature minimalist guitar playing. U2, Echo & The Bunnymen, Modest Mouse, Joy Division, Television, etc.

The thing with Mercy is I think Edge can do better. Bad, for instance, has even less going on in it than Mercy, and I think it blows the Mercy riff off the planet.

"The smoke machine is yours, not mine." :heart: I would love see U2 pursue more songs like Smile.

shaun vox said:

dude we should hang out some time!!i actually hate u2 for what they have done to me !! gave me great albums and then two crap albums(atyclb,htdaab)
i dont buy any of their stuff any more!! but i do love their earlier stuff(thats why im still here lol)!!
just wanted to give you props because alot of people are brainwashed and will buy anything !!

im with you, another crap or pop emo song by u2 and we will kick bono's arss!!

I'm just curious as to what level of brainwashed I might be at. I'll rank the albums for ya and you tell me where I'm at:

1. Achtung Baby
2. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
3. Joshua Tree
4. Boy
5. Zooropa
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. Pop
8. All That You Can't Leave Behind
9. Rattle and Hum
10. October
11. WAR

I know somthing must be wrong with me but I can't figure it out. I mean how could I like HTDAAB more than Joshua Tree yet ATYCLB I rank much lower. I mean ATYCLB and HTDAAB are pretty much the same album following the same formula right? :rolleyes: Sorry man but you've brainwashed yourself into the old cliche that "Old" U2 is better than "New" U2. The similarities between early and present U2 are far too similar to actually make it as cut and dry as you guys make it ut to be. If you can't see that well than just have fun living in the past.

PopMart2005 said:
Boy at #4?

Prepare to be even more horrified then. I wonder how brainwashed I am? :hmm:

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Passengers
4. Boy
5. War
6. October
7. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
8. Zooropa
9. Achtung Baby
=10. Pop
=10. Rattle And Hum
1,000. All That You Can't Leave Behind

nurse chrissi said:
They will have completed 110 shows this year, with 25 to come next year in South America, Japan and Australia, before a final show in Honolulu in April, when they finally come down to earth, or completely tumble off the planet.

hello Hawaii :wave:

I count 18 shows on the 2006 vertigo tour

beyond hawaii2 anf Japan2, what else is missing?

u2fp

Btw I really think the only songs left over from htdaab that will make it on the album are the ones that wern't released in the I-tunes box set thing songs like northern star or north star or whatever its called ... i really think thats probably the only song they'll keep ... surely they'll know we all have mercy by now and will forget about it

U2girl said:
Of course it's easy to see which U2 fans freaked out the most.

ATYCLB was U2 trying to write pop music, Bomb is going back to the 80s sound.

No, ATYCLB was U2 trying a new sound.

Bomb is U2 trying to make a hit album.

i agree.

my personal list

1. The Joshua Tree
=2. Achtung Baby
=2. Zooropa
=2. The Unforgettable Fire
5= Boy
5=. October
7. All That You Can't Leave Behind
8. War
9. Rattle and Hum
10. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
11. Pop

Last edited:
Axver said:

Prepare to be even more horrified then. I wonder how brainwashed I am? :hmm:

2. The Joshua Tree
3. Passengers
4. Boy
5. War
6. October
7. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
8. Zooropa
9. Achtung Baby
=10. Pop
=10. Rattle And Hum
1,000. All That You Can't Leave Behind

Yay! Ranking albums! My turn!
  2. Achtung Baby
  3. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
  4. Zooropa
  5. Boy
  6. All That You Can't Leave Behind
  7. War
  8. Rattle & Hum
  9. Pop
  10. The Joshua Tree
  11. OS1
  12. October

Yep, JT really is that low (and yep, below R&H).

Maybe I'm "brain-washed" too. :sexywink:

doctorwho said:

Maybe I'm "brain-washed" too. :sexywink:

Is that a New Radicals reference or am I just making connections that aren't really there again? :confused:

Either way, I don't think either of you are brainwashed. You're just wrong. :wink:

The real list looks something like this:

1. The Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. The Unforgettable Fire
4. HTDAAB
5. Zooropa
6. Boy
7. Pop
8. Passengers
9. War
10. October
11. Rattle and Hum
12. All That You Can't Leave Behind

:yes: :up:

Last edited:
Murray said:

No, ATYCLB was U2 trying a new sound.

Bomb is U2 trying to make a hit album.

Bomb is U2 reaching full-circle. U2's always had hit singles to promote their albums.

If Bomb was U2 trying to make a hit/accessible album, listen to first 4 albums and tell me JT wasn't trying to be a hit album.

Did you know that Pop wanted to be a hit album in the US?

Last edited:
Anyone heard some news about the 'fix pop thing'?

my list:

1. Pop
2. Achtung baby
3. How to dismantle an atomic bomb
4. The joshua tree
5. Zooropa
6. War
7. All that you can't leave behind
8. Boy
9. The unforgettable fire
10. Rattle and hum
11. October