New album: general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to be a buzz kill, but is this info from the French forum sourced from anywhere? Where did they get their info from?

It also says that the DM work which they title 'Rock' is different from the 12 songs on P01.

Our sources reveal that the album Rock should be a collaboration with Danger Mouse, a project containing 12 songs so far called "Project Zero One", a remix album Club in collaboration with some artists like Will.I.AM and finally another album that contains some tracks not released by the group.

nope, no source or link was provided with the original post as far as i could see... so it could well all be bollox lol!!!

Our sources reveal that the album Rock should be a collaboration with Danger Mouse, a project containing 12 songs so far called "Project Zero One", a remix album Club in collaboration with some artists like Will.I.AM and finally another album that contains some tracks not released by the group.

Poor translation?

I read it as the rock album - 12 songs produced by Danger Mouse - is "titled" Project Zero One.

Then the remix/club thing will Will.I.am.

Then whatever this mystery third thing is.

yep, it's just a dodgy machine translation... "Rock" and "Club" are just used as adjectives (after the noun) in the French text...

Poor translation?

I read it as the rock album - 12 songs produced by Danger Mouse - is "titled" Project Zero One.

Then the remix/club thing will Will.I.am.

Then whatever this mystery third thing is.

that's how I read it too.

still, it could easily be a streaming crock of crap. no sources here.

As for what I said earlier about a safe song - somebody mentioned get on your boots. if that's safe, then why didn't it do well? I'd think a safe song would almost certainly be on the radio or be universally accepted as alright - and Boots is pretty divisive. Don't people also call Magnificent safe? I really like Magnificent myself, but it completely flopped in terms of radio play. As did Crazy tonight - probably the "safest" song on the album.

So when Bono says they want to return to being kings of the radio or whatever (assuming that quote is true - it sounds true, but it also wouldn't surprise me if it's from Mikal's fake Bono quote thread either), I'm not sure I automatically assume "OMG, It's an album full of Stuck In A Vertigo City of Beautiful Lights!" U2's attempts to craft songs to do well for radio play - Crazy tonight being the prime example as completely morphing from the beach clips in the summer to the album cut - failed for No line.

I guess that's more what I was getting at.

If I understand well this was posted in a French forum and we have no other sources, do you know who posted it, I mean was it the webmaster or a regular member? Anyway, I don't see any reason to believe that someone in a French forum would know more than I do. That is nothing in my opinion.

popacrobat, i believe GOYB was seen by u2 as the most 'safe' of the NLOTH songs, hence why it was chosen as lead single, but the tactic did not work. To me, the song is emulating vertigo, which obviously was really successful, so the band felt it was most wise to have Boots representing the album. Ironically, this failed, and i presume it failed because not enough people thought the song was good, therefore affecting single and album sales.

This was because they thought they were being safe by making a song similar to vertigo, when the song just needed to be good... the best analogy i can think of is bringing a parachute with you when you go scuba diving. u2 were focusing on the wrong 'safety precautions' while aiming for sales. All they needed to be safe was to have a good song, not a clever, unusual, or copycat one.

Same goes for the other two singles - both 'safer' (more accessible) than say, Moment of Surrender. however, i think MOS is a better song, and therefore i think it would have sold better.

I'm sure u2 are smart enough to know that they can't just copy their previous lead singles, or be 'safe' for success, otherwise they'd release a GOYB type song again, and it would fail again.

This is all really good, because i think u2's aim with the next album is not to have success by making 'safe', 'back to basics' songs, or 'experimental, head-scratching' songs, but simply good songs. I think u2 have realised with NLOTH that they can't allow their future track list to be determined by how 'by the books' or novel the music is, but just how good the tune is.

It means whatever we get, stripped back or experimental, hey, it's u2, it's gonna rock :wave:

If I understand well this was posted in a French forum and we have no other sources, do you know who posted it, I mean was it the webmaster or a regular member? Anyway, I don't see any reason to believe that someone in a French forum would know more than I do. That is nothing in my opinion.

I actually think the source being French makes it more credible, seeing as the band have homes / a studio in the south of france.
But i have the same feeling as you, with no real source, there's no real reason to trust this whatsoever.

(even if Project Zero One is a kickass album name)

JamietheEdgefan said:
I actually think the source being French makes it more credible, seeing as the band have homes / a studio in the south of france.
But i have the same feeling as you, with no real source, there's no real reason to trust this whatsoever.

The source isn't credible unless someone can say what publication it came from.

French forum: sounds like U2

Adam Clayton: fresh teritorry for the band, end of an era

:hmm:

If we have to believe the members of the band and their manager, they have been working on this album all over Europe, New York and Australia, they haven't been in France since last summer, yes, we know they had some sessions there in June after Bono's surgery, it was in Julian Lennon's place, but I think it was too long ago, it seems more likely to get some information from New York this time rather than from France, as the album should be finished or mixed (I hope it is being mastered by now) there.

I also like the name of the supposed album, but I don't buy it either.

i give about 3 more weeks. if we don't know anything more about this supposed album, then it's not happening before the North American Tour.

This was one week ago today.

I trust mikal. He's usually right about these things.

So the official "mikal countdown to disaster clock" is set at 2 weeks.

We have 2 weeks, people, or we ain't seeing an album in May.

Time is slipping away.

I suggest we all get off our asses and do something about it.

This was one week ago today.

I trust mikal. He's usually right about these things.

So the official "mikal countdown to disaster clock" is set at 2 weeks.

We have 2 weeks, people, or we ain't seeing an album in May.

Time is slipping away.

I suggest we all get off our asses and do something about it.

I think someone should create a FB page.

Get on your boots failed cause it sucked.

Or maybe it was because of this:

Music Week - Rock falls to historic low on annual singles chart

The number of rock songs in the singles charts fell to its lowest tally in half a century last year, with only three tracks appearing among the 100 biggest hits in the UK.

The three tracks – led by Journey’s vintage Don’t Stop Believin’ at 25 – meant rock had a 3% share of the top 100, down from 13% last year - far behind hip hop / R&B (47%), pop (40%) and dance (10%).

This was its lowest tally in 50 years and underlines what has been a difficult year for new rock acts, with few commercial breakthroughs; a phenomenon that led Absolute Radio COO Clive Dickens to proclaim guitar-based music was “in a real lull” in 2010, while Radio 1 head of music George Ergatoudis said “brilliant” rock songs were few and far between.

These are UK figures, but I'm sure it's a worldwide trend. Rock just isn't getting played on top 40 stations.

These are UK figures, but I'm sure it's a worldwide trend. Rock just isn't getting played on top 40 stations.

Something has definately happened in the last ten years since All That You Can't Leave Behind - that record was all over the radio here. I suppose it was a different climate for rock and pop music back then though and then R'nB started to take over all the more with every year.
I heard Vertigo a couple of times, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own maybe twice and same for Window In The Skies.
I haven't heard anything at all from the last release except Magnificent in 2009 when the tour came around here of course.

As far as U2 goes, it's the opening trio from Joshua Tree if you're lucky - or One of course (either version). :doh:

Generally, the top selling music in Sweden right now seems to be electro, club and R'nB material, can't say there's that much rockband songs on the charts these days. :sigh: I just hope this club approach thing doesn't result in U2 being the ones trying to "be hip", they've sort of always set the bar rather than the other way around, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom