New album: general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, I think they can pull it off...provided they sing about "sippin' sizzurp" and "ackin' like they drunk" and GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I HATE YOU MAINSTREAM POP RADIO I HATE YOU SO MUCH

Sorry about that. Still traumatized by the video of "Like A G6" posted earlier. :crack:

Well, exactly, your joking around is the truth, unfortunately. I mean, I'd be surprised to see a young 20 something band make accesible yet credible rock music. And I don't mean Emo or Nickelback styled crap, I mean REALLY GOOD FUCKING ROCK MUSIC! I really think THAT is impossible, and you know why? -because no one gives a fuck about rock music! And to think that Bono is going to be that guy who brings ROCK back?!!! Fuck no, it's just not going to work.

Call me Joe Pessimist, but here's what I see unfolding:

Either the record is "too challenging" (this means it's actually good but since no one cares about rock on the radio, it fails on the singles charts).... or the record was....yes, again..."too challenging" (this means the record was not the innovation we thought it would be, but there are maybe 3 or 4 weird songs surrounded by a bunch of radio ready arena songs, kinda like NLOTH, and whaddayaknow....the radio doesn't play 'em.)

It doesn't matter, the record will be "too challenging" no matter how you slice it. Because the radio aint playing rock music. And U2 will not be blessed with their next Beautiful Day/Vertigo let's-all-come-together-and-rejoice-anthem part 17. The End.

....but I'd like to be wrong...

If U2 stopped worrying about being "relevant" and "popular" and instead just make good music and the music that they personally want to make (hell, in this point in their career they can afford to do so!) then I believe we will truly get a fantastic recrod. But if U2 tries to appeal to the youth (which will NOT happen, the youth already sees U2 as too old to be popular among them) and instead tries to crank out formulated tunes simply for radio play or to try and fit an image, then we will start to see a band that is standing still instead of moving forward.

If I was to give one piece of advice to U2 - it's to forget about what you think you need to be in order to be relevant or popular and instead make personal artistic choices for a record that is truly what you want to make regardless of what everyone else thinks. U2 are brilliant when they dont try too hard to be popular.

U2 has always been a band that wants to challenge itself, but staying 'relevant' in this pop music climate would be one of the more impressive feats in music marketing history. I mean, look at ANY major band or artist trying to be a cutting-edge top act 30 years into their career....

* Bruce Springsteen's new material is well-received but let's be honest, 'Working On A Dream' and 'Magic' didn't exactly generate a bunch of hit singles.

* Bob Dylan's three studio albums since 1997 were critically acclaimed, won Grammys, etc. but it didn't make Dylan a hit with the youngsters, to say the least. 'Mississippi' and 'Things Have Changed' were awesome songs, but far from top-40 hits.

* Cher DID have a huge top-40 hit with 'Believe,' but that was one song. I don't even know if she did have an album connected to it, or if it was a stand-alone. It was more of a one-off hit than a real Cher revival.

Honestly, U2 should try to emulate Dylan and just try to put out the best possible music that appeals to them. All of the talk about NLOTH not being a hit due to a lack of a 'big single' sounds so old-fashioned and out of touch with how the music business operates in 2011. It's things like that that make me worry about U2's relevance, not the music itself.

I found this :

u2.se

yeah they're just regurgitating the french post :)

Yeah, I posted that for our little website, based on the french "information".
Didn't think non-Swedish people would find it. :p Did you Google? :hmm:
I'm sort of in charge of maintaining the "next U2 project" part of our website so of course I had to report it even as a rumour ;).

Was anyone here really surprised that none of Boots/Magnificent/Crazy Tonight took off? REALLY?!?

The only track I heard on that album that sounded to me like could possibly break through on mainstream radio (does that actually even exist anymore) was No Line On The Horizon.

It was rocking enough to keep the listener interested. Had a nice sound that didn't sound too much like previous U2 tracks, yet you knoew it was them.

Everything else sounded fine.

Yes... Many people here thought magnificent would cure aids.

You almost made hot coffee some out of my nose.

I think NLOTH, Breathe, and Mag with the right promotional push could have made more of an impact than the singles they actually chose and how they promoted them, but I agree, the radio has abandoned rock music. Sad, as it's taken more seriously as an art form nowadays than ever before.

I really hope that Project Zero One is not the real title of the album.
These new "news" are awful.
I hope they are fake.

Project We Don't Know What Were Doing So Lets See If Danger Mouse Can Help Shake Things Up On This One

PWDKWWDSLSIDMCHSTUOTO

p.s.: post number 909 st john divine...i dont know if i want to post after this.

If that is what you think rick rubin is most well known for, then you really have no clue who the man is, and/or what he's done in his career.

He is well known for it. I didn't say re-energezing old artists's careers is EVERYTHING Rubin does.

As for the "title" ... Project zero one sounds like a temporary label for the record. U2: Project 01 ? No way.

I think NLOTH, Breathe, and Mag with the right promotional push could have made more of an impact than the singles they actually chose and how they promoted them, but I agree, the radio has abandoned rock music. Sad, as it's taken more seriously as an art form nowadays than ever before.

Wasn't Magnificent blacklisted by the US radio after Bono's comments about piracy ? Crazy is nice but not hit material. Boots....I can't believe they went out of the gate with that. :shrug:

It's too bad they didn't try it out with MOS, or Breathe/NLOTH for the token "rock" single instead of Boots. Open with Magnificent, then Breathe or NLOTH and end it with MOS.

The only track I heard on that album that sounded to me like could possibly break through on mainstream radio (does that actually even exist anymore) was No Line On The Horizon.

It was rocking enough to keep the listener interested. Had a nice sound that didn't sound too much like previous U2 tracks, yet you knoew it was them.

:up: That would have done VERY well on alt rock stations, and it baffles me to this day that it wasn't released as a single.

Although Boots did get a lot of play on alt rock stations here, anyway.

I do think Breathe had the potential to be a summer hit had they released it around the time they chose to release CT instead.

I think the only possible way they could've had a hit is if they took MOS, gave it a drum machine hiphop beat, had JayZ or Lil Wayne rewrite the verses, have Bono redo the chorus with new lyrics "at the moment of surrender, shorty had me down on my knees, i did not notice the other shortees and the other shortees did not notice me", replace Edge's solo with louder booming bass and Will.I.Am going "I gotta feeling this moment is going to be a good moment", and it speeds up and speeds up until the fists start pumping, and have it be the song that plays over the credits of every Jersey Shore episode on MTV.

He is well known for it. I didn't say re-energezing old artists's careers is EVERYTHING Rubin does.

we have two producers... danger mouse, rick rubin.

one of these producers got his start as rap producer and entrepreneur. he first hit the mainstream as the driving force behind a powerful hip hop label, and produced mainstream rap hits that mixed hip hop & rock. after already establishing himself as a preeminent rap producer, he began to move into other genre's of music.

the other one is danger mouse.

so back to the original fucking point... the only difference between u2 working with danger mouse and u2 working with rick rubin is that it appears as if they may actually finish the danger mouse sessions.

Was anyone here really surprised that none of Boots/Magnificent/Crazy Tonight took off? REALLY?!?

I was suprised that Magnificent failed to do anything as it's such a classic U2 sound- I never once heard it or saw the video here in the UK- even on Q channel

but then looking at the UK singles chart- I'm guessing (because most if it means nothing to me at all) that most of them are rap, hip hop, r-n-b stuff- with the occasional good Take That song or Flop Idol thing- so I don't see how U2 can compete with that- the kids buying this rubbish won't be remotely interested in U2- and the more mature fans aren't remotely interested in buying a single flanked by half a dozen shitty remixes instead of a proper b-side

similar age bands have the same problems- REM, Duran, Depeche Mode don't get airplay, don't get hit singles (I know U2 has a larger fanbase than these combined- but the same applies). Even a younger band like White Lies can't get their latest single into the top 40- although the album will likely be a no1 this week

Release MOS without the hype (maybe thru U2.com) then a week later release NLOTH (song) to stations and they would've received some positive press for the album.

Its pretty much next to impossible for the "real" bands to have a top 10 hit these days. And by real, I mean bands that play for the music and not sex appeal.

Sure you can argue, Bono/U2 tries sometimes for the sex appeal, but they write quality music for themselves and fans.

Many radio stations can't even change their format, as they have played the same bands for nearly 40 years, let alone play Arcade Fire or new U2. I don't understand why its like these either. Movie theaters don't show the same movies for 40 years.

Top 40 stations and Clear Channel really screwed the "new music" format.

We need more news! I'll make some up. I heard the club album and it sounded just like the Zooropa tracks played backward with a bunch of oonts mixed behind it. When I pointed this out, Larry punched me in the mouth and Adam cried because he's scared of Larry.

Yeah, i wasn't surprised that Magnificent failed. It's an interesting idea, and the fusion of new and classic u2 works well. But i just don't think the tune is good enough - the chord progression is the same throughout the entire song, making it too repetitive, the guitar is mixed so low it makes the song sound too calm, the guitar riff isn't catchy enough, and Bono's chorus line ('only love') doesn't sound like something he's never done before.

The song is good, but imo it wasn't special/catchy enough to take off on the radio. And personally, i don't think it really works live either, which might have hurt it's sales when u2 were doing live promotions.

I feel the same way about Boots and Crazy... they just don't have that special 'something' to make them popular hits.

Regardless of my personally opinion of these songs though, the next singles will certainly be different, hopefully with better tunes in their essence.

djparky, i agree with you that, given what's on the radio nowadays, that it's unlikely any more u2 singles will get to number 1.

I think the only possible way they could've had a hit is if they took MOS, gave it a drum machine hiphop beat, had JayZ or Lil Wayne rewrite the verses, have Bono redo the chorus with new lyrics "at the moment of surrender, shorty had me down on my knees, i did not notice the other shortees and the other shortees did not notice me", replace Edge's solo with louder booming bass and Will.I.Am going "I gotta feeling this moment is going to be a good moment", and it speeds up and speeds up until the fists start pumping, and have it be the song that plays over the credits of every Jersey Shore episode on MTV.

Honestly I couldn't agree more with you. It's an inconvenient truth. :shrug:

Yeah, i wasn't surprised that Magnificent failed. It's an interesting idea, and the fusion of new and classic u2 works well. But i just don't think the tune is good enough - the chord progression is the same throughout the entire song, making it too repetitive, the guitar is mixed so low it makes the song sound too calm, the guitar riff isn't catchy enough, and Bono's chorus line ('only love') doesn't sound like something he's never done before.

The song is good, but imo it wasn't special/catchy enough to take off on the radio. And personally, i don't think it really works live either, which might have hurt it's sales when u2 were doing live promotions.

I feel the same way about Boots and Crazy... they just don't have that special 'something' to make them popular hits.

Regardless of my personally opinion of these songs though, the next singles will certainly be different, hopefully with better tunes in their essence.

djparky, i agree with you that, given what's on the radio nowadays, that it's unlikely any more u2 singles will get to number 1.

I, like many I think, feel the opposite about Magnificent. Because its calm and not too over the top is why I enjoy it. To me it sounded like "Do You Feel Loved" produced more.

But I understand what your saying and I still think Boots, Crazy, and Magnificent was HTDAAB 2.0. Meaning, the band looked but most of all presented itself just like 2004. The public wanted something different, a new/fresh U2, and all they got was Bono with short hair.

When the promotions starting coming out in Jan (Eyeliner article, band in front of lights) it looked different but by the time Boots video was released, promotion began, everyone looked the part, it looked like HTDAAB.

I mean how many videos do we need to see the band walking, playing, dressed essentially in the same outfit, and looking cool (Boots, Vertigo, Sometimes, All Because of You, Magnificent)

Now Bono in a Laser Jacket or them going wild during "Crazy Tonight" is something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom