New Album Discussion (Will it be bigger than Zeppelin? Rush? Bon Jovi? Jesus? Allah?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Musikwala

War Child
What we think we know:

- U2 may be announcing their album as a commercial during the Super Bowl.
- Recent rumors suggest that the new album will be released in April.
- Possible lead single is titled "Invisible."

That previous thread was a fun read! :corn:

Thanks to the previous thread, I've started delving into Rush's catalog in a way I never have previously! Good stuff, but I'm not so much into the prog material, even if it is very well done.

As far as U2, I feel like now that I have the Superbowl to hold on to as a date where something is going to happen, I've sort of put it in the back of my mind. (I know, it's very possible the super bowl rumor is false).

As someone who's seen Bon Jovi in Europe, his status as a punch line in North America does not quite translate. People were nuts for him, and seemed to take him seriously.

I was, however, impressed with his showmanship. The man can command 60,000 Belgians on a muddy field in Flanders.

In that case they really could have used him at Passchendaele.

For the sake of it, Hollow Island, I'm in The Netherlands. I have never heard Rush on the radio here and had never even heard of them before the everlasting debates on here started.
As has been shown on the last pages of the last thread, they really are not that big anywhere except for the America's. As I stated in my post, I said America, not North-America, specifically for that reason. I know they're quite popular in South America as well. But in Europe? I don't know any fans, don't ever hear them on the radio/see them on music television(no, not MTV of course), or see merch in the record stores. They all have stuff of GnR, Bon Jovi, Zeppelin, the Stones, Beatles and even some 80s U2 stuff like the War and JT mugs.

Now I didn't know Bon JOvi had a new album out either. :hmm: Better take a look and see if it's worth anything.

For the sake of it, Hollow Island, I'm in The Netherlands. I have never heard Rush on the radio here and had never even heard of them before the everlasting debates on here started.
As has been shown on the last pages of the last thread, they really are not that big anywhere except for the America's. As I stated in my post, I said America, not North-America, specifically for that reason. I know they're quite popular in South America as well. But in Europe? I don't know any fans, don't ever hear them on the radio/see them on music television(no, not MTV of course), or see merch in the record stores. They all have stuff of GnR, Bon Jovi, Zeppelin, the Stones, Beatles and even some 80s U2 stuff like the War and JT mugs.

Now I didn't know Bon JOvi had a new album out either. :hmm: Better take a look and see if it's worth anything.

You mean outside of North America - the rest of the world actually matters?

:wink:

I'm in The Netherlands. I have never heard Rush on the radio here and had never even heard of them before the everlasting debates on here started.

I'm from Uruguay and I can say nobody knows anything about Rush.
They're not popular at all.

I wasn't going to mention Rush at all, but since it's been brought up...this will all come as quite a surprise to Rush and their fans in The Netherlands, where their last record reached #11 on the charts. Not to mention all the people who saw them in concert in Rotterdam (and the other dozen or so stops they did in Europe on their last tour). :) Not to mention that fact that they are apparently so unknown in The Netherlands that they chose the two nights they did in Rotterdam to record the Blu Ray for their Snakes & Arrows tour. :)

No one is suggesting the Rush is anywhere near as big as U2. They aren't. And they are nothing alike musically, and they are not in "competition". I like Rush, but I like U2 more. It's possibly to like both bands. And yeah, they don't sell out every date. But blanket statements about how they are "only big in America" based on personal anecdotes are kind of silly.

Check out all the empty seats!!!:

Rush Limelight Intro Rotterdam Ahoy 2007 - YouTube

I'm from Uruguay and I can say nobody knows anything about Rush.
They're not popular at all.

Not a slight on smaller countries but honestly? Name me one band from Uruguay that has achieved a quarter of what Rush has.

Look, some people in some small/Euro countries may have not heard of Rush, but here's a fact (according to the Wiki article): The are 3rd - THIRD - behind only the Beatles and Rolling Stones with most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band. In the world. They didn't get there off the backs of their Canadian record sales lol!

And that's not even to speak of their footprint amongst musicians. You'd be hard pressed to find a drummer in any country who hasn't heard of Neil Peart.

Like honestly, saying they are the biggest rock band in the world and that they are "U2-popular" is clearly ridiculous. But the repetitive "Ive never heard of them in my small country" posts are getting just as ridiculous, because all that really just means is that your country isn't exactly up on one of the legendary rock bands of our time..that doesn't reduce that status one little bit.

Can we put this Rush foolishness to bed once and for all? That includes the incessant regurgitation of the meme, also.

Not a slight on European countries but honestly? Name me one band from Uruguay that has achieved a quarter of what Rush has.

Look, some people in some small Euro countries may have not heard of Rush, but here's a fact (according to the Wiki article): The are 3rd - THIRD - behind only the Beatles and Rolling Stones with most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band. In the world. They didn't get there off the backs of their Canadian rock sales lol!

And that's not even to speak of their footprint amongst musicians. You'd be hard pressed to find a drummer in any country who hasn't heard of Neil Peart.

Like honestly, saying they are the biggest rock band in the world and that they are "U2-popular" is clearly ridiculous. But the repetitive "Ive never heard of them in my small country" posts are getting just as ridiculous, because that really just means that your country isn't exactly up on one of the legendary rock bands of our time..that doesn't reduce that status one little bit.

Can we put this Rush foolishness to bed once and for all? That includes the incessant regurgitation of the meme, also.

I've lived in Buenos Aires (one year), Sao Paulo (2 years) and México DF (3 years), and nobody (never-ever) mention Rush, NEVER.

I'm not comparing them with any other band, but they're not popular at all, maybe they have a devoted fanbase, but outside that (mini) world nobody knows they exist.

About an uruguayan band, I can name 2 or 3 artists from here very well-known in South America, much more than Rush.

I've lived in Buenos Aires (one year), Sao Paulo (2 years) and México DF (3 years), and nobody (never-ever) mention Rush, NEVER.

I'm not comparing them with any other band, but they're not popular at all, maybe they have a devoted fanbase, but outside that (mini) world nobody knows they exist.

About an uruguayan band, I can name 2 or 3 artists from here very well-known in South America, much more than Rush.

:doh:

Some of Rush's biggest recent concerts were in those very cities. They even filmed them for commercial DVD release (and they're great shows). The Mexican and Brazilian audiences are amazing and take the show to another level..in many shots of the audience you can see people singing along to every word. I guess they were all cloned fans from Canada flown in specially for the night :lol:

About a uruguayan band, I can name 2 or 3 artists from here very well-known in South America, much more than Rush.

Rush chose Brasil to record another of their tours, and released it as the "Rush in Rio" Blu Ray, where they played to 40,000. Not to mention the 60,000 they played to in São Paulo (since you mentioned it) that tour.

Not bad for a band that's "not popular at all" in South America. :)

And you know they're in the Rock & Roll hall of fame now, right? Pretty good for a provincial Canadian band with a tiny fan base. :)

Rush chose Brasil to record another of their tours, and released it as the "Rush in Rio" Blu Ray, where they played to 40,000. Not to mention the 60,000 they played to in São Paulo (since you mentioned it) that tour.

Ramones played in front of 40.000 in Sao Paulo... Ask anyone from Brasil about Rush popularity, you will receive a big "what????".

take it over to B&C guys!!!!

now, back to Led Zeppelin....

Why is Rush still a topic of conversation here?

Seriously...start a thread in "Just The Bang and Clatter" forum and discuss them there.

:lol:

I too like Rush, never as much as U2 though.... but the three musicians are fantastic!! I have to give them that. And strangely now that I think of it all of my friends who liked U2 also liked Rush back in the day.

You can put all the smilies you want, but Rush still have the same popularity as Motorhead here, maybe less than that.

Ramones played in front of 40.000 in Sao Paulo... Ask anyone from Brasil about Rush popularity, you will receive a big "what????".

I guess I wouldn't be able to find one of the 100,000+ Brazilians who bought tickets to see them, is that what you're saying?

And btw if Motorhead is indeed bigger than Rush in Uruguay, well that's not sayin much for the Uruguay rock fan's taste....yo.

This wouldn't be such a stupid argument if the usual suspects would just admit that it takes some level of popularity - granted, maybe noone you've ever met! - in your country to get 60,000 people out to see a band. I mean, there are plenty - PLENTY - of artists who get incessant airplay on the radio nowadays that you still can't put in a 60,000 stadium and have it go off well. Plenty.

Since you're clearly impervious to facts, I'll just leave you to it then.

Carry on. :)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have the impression that if you stop 1000 people at Visconde Piraja (Rio's famous street at Ipanema) and ask them about Rush, only one or two will know what are you talking about.

I guess I wouldn't be able to find one of the 100,000+ Brazilians who bought tickets to see them, is that what you're saying?

And btw if Motorhead is indeed bigger than Rush in Uruguay, well that's not sayin much for the Uruguay rock fan's taste....yo.

This wouldn't be such a stupid argument if the usual suspects would just admit that it takes some level of popularity - granted, maybe noone you've ever met! - in your country to get 60,000 people out to see a band. I mean, there are plenty - PLENTY - of artists who get incessant airplay on the radio nowadays that you still can't put in a 60,000 stadium and have it go off well. Plenty.

Yes, we don't have good taste at all, but trust me, Rush is not a popular band in Brasil, at least not at the level you think they are.

I'm not saying they don't have a fanbase, I don't know that, but living in South America it's impossible to say Rush is a popular band.

I used to live in Sao Paulo, I go there often because my girlfriend is from there, I've been at many shows in Sao Paulo, I know what I'm talking about.

Are rush supporting U2 on their next tour? :) cowers behind the sofa waiting for pelters.

If not why are Rush being discussed in a U2 forum about their new album?

Yes, we don't have good taste at all, but trust me, Rush is not a popular band in Brasil, at least not at the level you think they are.

I'm not saying they don't have a fanbase, I don't know that, but living in South America it's impossible to say Rush is a popular band.

I used to live in Sao Paulo, I go there often because my girlfriend is from there, I've been at many shows in Sao Paulo, I know what I'm talking about.

Dude, I get it, and I believe that's your personal experience. But when you and others try to take your own personal experiences and anecdotes and then make wide-ranging declarative statements about a band's popularity based on them...when the numbers tell a different story...then stubbornly double down on that when presented with the facts, it comes across as obtuseness.

In my circle of friends I don't know a single person who owns a One Direction record, or has seen their movie. They certainly don't play them on any of the radio stations I listen to. I didn't even know they existed until recently. I'm sure hundreds of thousands of people have seen them in concert, and I personally don't know one of them. But if I said "One Direction isn't popular in the UK and no one has heard of them" based solely on my own experience and observations, no matter what the facts said...well, that would be kind of silly, wouldn't it?

Accept the fact that there's a world outside your window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom