New Album Discussion (Will it be bigger than Zeppelin? Rush? Bon Jovi? Jesus? Allah?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you do know how u2 records up until the last minute, right? anybody who thinks the album isn't coming out in the spring just hasn't been paying attention, or is just trolling for the sake of trolling. which im ok with if it's funny. not funny.

who knows if it's a complete mess sonically? can't an album have songs that dabble in different sounds and still be a pretty good album? i don't want every song on the album sounding the same.

Sure...but it sounds like there's more to do than just the vocals.

Electronica, punk, R&B and soul all on the same record doesn't sound like a cohesive sound. Their best albums have achieved that, and it's really not about every song having the same sound.

Personally I'm hoping for more than just "pretty good" at this point.

Sure...but it sounds like there's more to do than just the vocals.

Electronica, punk, R&B and soul all on the same record doesn't sound like a cohesive sound. Their best albums have achieved that, and it's really not about every song having the same sound.

Personally I'm hoping for more than just "pretty good" at this point.

Your posts make puppies cry.

I suspect that even if every song dabbles in different genres of music, we will get a cohesive piece with Danger Mouse producing. So while each song might be very different in 'songwriting', hopefully that Danger Mouse 'sound' will hold it all together.

Look at Joshua Tree... while the album taken together is very cohesive thanks to the style of production as well as U2's musicianship, not every song is similar. Example that springs to mind is MOTD, which to me is a very different 'style' of song than, say, the first half of JT, yet it fits perfectly because at the end of the day, its U2. JT has influences of gospel, blues, celtic, ambient etc, and yet, it all fits together because of the theme as well as production.

So while we might be getting different 'genres' of music in the blend, its not gonna sound like a mix CD of different artists cherry picked from different genres. I don't think we have anything to worry about in that regard.

I suspect that even if every song dabbles in different genres of music, we will get a cohesive piece with Danger Mouse producing. So while each song might be very different in 'songwriting', hopefully that Danger Mouse 'sound' will hold it all together.

Look at Joshua Tree... while the album taken together is very cohesive thanks to the style of production as well as U2's musicianship, not every song is similar. Example that springs to mind is MOTD, which to me is a very different 'style' of song than, say, the first half of JT, yet it fits perfectly because at the end of the day, its U2. JT has influences of gospel, blues, celtic, ambient etc, and yet, it all fits together because of the theme as well as production.

So while we might be getting different 'genres' of music in the blend, its not gonna sound like a mix CD of different artists cherry picked from different genres. I don't think we have anything to worry about in that regard.

:up:

No, it'll be a totally epic game and ratings will be great. 2001 Patriots/Raiders Snow Bowl, anybody?

I'm a Raiders fan so unfortunately I remember that game quite well. Tuck Rule.

So glad that my Packers were able to get Charles Woodson a ring 9 years later. He's all class. :up:

But yeah, horrible call. Probably one of the worst in the last 15 years.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

as a Cowboy fan I didn't have a dog in that hunt, other than I followed Gannon/Rice/Porter and the Raiders since they were fun to watch. Twas a sad day indeed.

This is pretty funny...participation in this thread seemed to hit a high when it devolved into talk about "Rush/Zeppelin/Bon Jovi", or who has the biggest tour, or who's most popular in what country, or what the "kids" were listening to, etc. Followed quickly by the expected whines of "This is boring!"..."I thought this was a U2 forum"..."Can we get back to talking about the new record now!"

And now that we actually have the most real, solid news about the record yet...crickets. Where are all the people who wanted so desperately to talk about the "new record"?

LOL...see ya next year. :wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jcCE8ioje8

^ Haha, yeah, I was thinking that too. We actually have our first song title and what sounds like possibly an overall theme of the album, and... it's pretty quiet in here.

But whatever. Maybe there's just not a lot to actually discuss until we get more info. Or maybe people are just busy enjoying the holidays. :wave:

Tuck rule was the correct call. It was the rule, which is now changed, that was the problem. Coleman called it correctly.

Thanks! Not much over there yet. "There are NO photos of +U2. Upload photos and tag them now!" :lol:

This is pretty funny...participation in this thread seemed to hit a high when it devolved into talk about "Rush/Zeppelin/Bon Jovi", or who has the biggest tour, or who's most popular in what country, or what the "kids" were listening to, etc. Followed quickly by the expected whines of "This is boring!"..."I thought this was a U2 forum"..."Can we get back to talking about the new record now!"

And now that we actually have the most real, solid news about the record yet...crickets. Where are all the people who wanted so desperately to talk about the "new record"?

One of the problems, IMO, is that the new news was buried amongst all this bullshit way out on page 'whatever'.

If ANYTHING in this subforum deserved its own thread, it was that article. And yet, if you didn't know any better, you might have easily missed it.

Especially given how many people have just given up on checking this thread.

One of the problems, IMO, is that the new news was buried amongst all this bullshit way out on page 'whatever'.

If ANYTHING in this subforum deserved its own thread, it was that article. And yet, if you didn't know any better, you might have easily missed it.

Especially given how many people have just given up on checking this thread.

Yeah I'm guilty of derailing it a few posts up, but Brady makes me do that.

Now, back to protecting this house.

I don't have too much to add about the LA Times article that wasn't already said before, but it's obviously encouraging that they're letting more people listen to it, and that song titles (even if it's just one) are starting to leak out. Super Bowl is on 2/2, so we're presumably just a little more than a month away from hearing something new.

Yeah I'm guilty of derailing it a few posts up, but Brady makes me do that.

Now, back to protecting this house.

I don't have too much to add about the LA Times article that wasn't already said before, but it's obviously encouraging that they're letting more people listen to it, and that song titles (even if it's just one) are starting to leak out. Super Bowl is on 2/2, so we're presumably just a little more than a month away from hearing something new.

Funny that the article described another song title without giving it away.. that suggests that they were only allowed to publish one

I am definitely encouraged by the fact that they're talking about the youth/wisdom themes and that unlike with Bomb when the same themes were last discussed, people are actually saying that the sound is reminiscent of their early punk influenced days. Granted, it's so little to go on, but I am really very confident this time around.

As far as the rate of news/level of discussion on said news around here, I have noticed what others mentioned. LA Times gave us something concrete a number of days ago now, and we have only a couple more pages of discussion. I don't know about everyone else, but my attitude this time compared to pre NLOTH is "wait and see, whatever it is, it is, I'll hear it when it leaks." I don't know what it was, maybe it was the fact that NLOTH was my first time around this place as far as pre release speculation goes. Either way, I remember being far more invested in the whole process at this time in 2008 than I am now. I was obsessed with getting my hand on each new Q Magazine edition and remember right around now in 2008 reading some of the preliminary track descriptions at the bookstore(the title track being "buzzcocks like, etc). I would be genuinely eager to hear some kind of news each day and would get slightly annoyed when the Barnes and Noble in Burlington, VT kept telling me "not yet" when I came in every couple days looking for the 2009 edition of Q with U2 on the cover. I remember finally getting it, cutting the cover off and taping it to the wall in my bedroom in my apartment at college.

I don't know if it's the lack of publicity this time or the fact that I'm older and have more to worry about or something else entirely, but I've definitely noticed a decline in how it affects my day to day life and mood compared to last time. I loved No Line, but to me, there was definitely something missing, something that was also evident on the 2009 legs of 360. Maybe the lack of mass appeal, I don't know and probably will never be able to put my finger on it. I think after that, I learned not to get my hopes up too much for another JT/AB type album in terms of quality, popularity and cultural influence.

Either way, in addition to my own experience, which means 2 things, little and nothing, I've also noticed there is FAR LESS discussion and speculation here this time around. Seems like less anticipation, too.

So for those who have been here for ATYCLB and HTDAAB, were those times more like now on the boards here, or more like NLOTH? Is the relative quiet here a sign of anything?

Things were more pumped up before. I think it's because there was leaks of new music (even during the run up to POP). I remember trying to get that snippet of Kite to repeat over and over in my head and just suck as much out of it as possible. I did the same for snippets of Gone. Now we have more U2 albums and there's other good bands to listen to. It's an embarrassment of riches.

I think this happens in many types of art. People are desperate for new sounds and original performances. U2 has done so well (even NLOTH in my opinion) that people are satisfied and are looking to other bands. U2 is getting over the hill so there's a perception that the best is behind them. If the new U2 album is great it will do well and there will be a resurgence but it's getting to be close to the end, like this is the last decade of success for them. This same thing happens to successful writers/directors/painters etc. I know Bono wants to counter the death-cult in rock-n-roll but audiences feel "what have you done for me lately?"

Many people are not in school any more so they have other concerns and when the band takes 5 years to put out another album (to avoid over-saturation and to allow for long tours), it becomes an out of sight, out of mind situation. Look at how Rihanna and Lady Gaga have to sprint to get new albums out there ASAP and singles to number 1 so people don't forget about them.

I also think that of the hardcore fans there's a "knives out" stance where if U2 appears to be resting on their laurels with this new album they are going to get disenchanted and really move on to other bands. As soon as they see some staleness in the music they're done with them. Sounds almost like a marriage on the rocks. :D

It's not even just this forum but in the atu2 forum there's massive nit-picking on lyrics. Audiences have an idea of what they want U2 to do but obviously U2 can't read minds and even worse they can't create what the audience wants. Look at The Hobbit Trilogy vs. The Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars prequels versus the original trilogy. There's already a fan base and they are nerdy-knowledgeable and aren't fresh with the material. It's harder to blow their minds.

Not sending out snippets this time is a good idea so we don't get attached to them before the final product comes out. A 30 second snippet gets so much analysis. Even the Ordinary Love snippet in the Mandela trailer got analyzed to death. When the album comes out people are going to over-listen to it and get bored too quickly. I want to enjoy this one more slowly. There's other music out there and I'm starting to enjoy other genres like Jazz and albums like Bitches Brew. When driving to work I can't just keep putting in U2 albums. I listen to like 300% more variety of music now than I did in the 90s.

I'm pretty stoked about the description of the new material, especially the soul/R&B elements. I really love the Achtung era B sides that tap into this like Heaven and Hell, (and even later on AMAAW, which I gather I'm supposed to be ashamed of because A. I'm a woman and B. I've washed a dish or two in my time.) For me, once you get a concrete piece of information all you can really do is sit with it and digest it for a bit. I mean, am I going to sit here and speculate out loud about if all these diverse elements are going to perforce turn it into a disjointed suckfest? ;) With the amount of information that they gave us in that little article I think the best thing to do is smile in anticipation, put on a playlist of B sides and discards, and wonder how it's all going to come out.

The picture in the la times article doesn't look like electric lady studios, I wonder are they still working there or somewhere else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom