New Album Discussion/Speculation Continued...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think U2 will ever "retire" unless one or all of them are physically unable to continue. Massive world tours and album promotion? That might cool down and this next tour "could" be the last one on that scale.

I don't seem the going on and on like Stones. I think their health will decide (ie Bono's back/voice and/or Larry's back/wrists).

March album and (unrehearsed) tour immediately afterwards sounds a little too close to Pop teritorry. And the last time they released in Spring it didn't work for them so well.

March was mentioned as tour start, not album release. Which would work with their usual Autumn album/Spring tour cycle.

Now that I think it's pretty obvious that 2013 will not happen (imo, it would be a major upset if the album came out this year), I've been thinking a lot about whether this is going to be U2's last album.

Next March will hit the 5 year mark between releases. If U2 were to go 5 years between albums again, they would be closing in on their 60's. Just not sure if they intend to keep releasing albums and touring that late in their lives.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the "delay". Maybe they really want to go out with a bang, and either they're adding more songs or like some of you had said, they're trying to get all their ducks in a row because this will be their last big album/tour of their careers.

I've read and reread this post and I think you REALLY hit the nail on the head with this..... I truly see that this might be the last rodeo.

I go back and forth on the same thing. First I think, fifties is not old at all. They have nothing at all to worry about. Then I think, forty years is about as long as anybody does just about anything. Then I start to feel just a little short of breath.

I think this whole place is just a little bit manic-depressive these days. We're up! Nope, scratch that, we're down.

If they are sitting on the album release due to production or tour logistical issues, I can understand. If they are sitting on it because they are afraid of Lady Gaga, they ought just to hang it up now. This band can enter their late 50s and 60s with artistic merit and respect a la Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen, but they can't do it being insistent on making their every move a spectacle.

If they are sitting on the album release due to production or tour logistical issues, I can understand. If they are sitting on it because they are afraid of Lady Gaga, they ought just to hang it up now. This band can enter their late 50s and 60s with artistic merit and respect a la Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen, but they can't do it being insistent on making their every move a spectacle.

Well said.

They're in their early 50's...why all the last album/tour panic ?

I don't know their exact ages, but if the tour lasts as long as 360, the members will be nearing what, 56? 57? Then add another 2-3 years for another album, and they'll be releasing the follow up to this one when they're 60 years old. Just saying. It's not panic, it's calling it like I'm seeing it. Many people like to try to retire in their late 50's, though it's been more difficult to in the current economic conditions, one problem the band doesn't have.

I think that begs the question of how complete are the songs/albums that they have waiting in the wings with Rick Rubin, will.i.am, and perhaps others. They wouldn't necessarily be forced to start from scratch, although they still might opt to do that.

I've read and reread this post and I think you REALLY hit the nail on the head with this..... I truly see that this might be the last rodeo.

I should prolly explain what I meant by what I said..... while I'm not so sure if this will be there last album, in fact didn't Bono say they had, I don't know... 88 songs or 388 songs whatever which we know could be all BS anyways.... My feeling is that this coiuld be the last HUGE tour they go on... the U2 that we knew might just be in our memories after this. Maybe putting out an album but a scaled down Tour after this might be the new normal who knows? Maybe even getting back together for a summer and touring with out an album... I hate to say this but I will go see them prolly multiple times but by no means did I think this tour and album would be the last we hear from them.

This is NOT going to be U2's last record. Give me a break. There's absolutely no indication of that, and there's no reason to believe they won't put out at least one, possibly two records after this.

And while this tour will likely be close to 360 in terms of scope (i.e. # of cities), it's difficult to believe they will even attempt to match the size and scale of The Claw and everything that went along with it this time around.

They're in their early 50's...why all the last album/tour panic ?

Why?

Easy.

Springsteen & The E Street... the Who... the Stones... all are still operating well into their 60s and 70s, none have the original lineups still in place. Key figures yes... everyone no. But they can still go on as long as Mick, Keith, Roger, Pete and Bruce are involved.

Can you see U2 going on without any one of the 4? Of course not. And I'm not necessarily talking of death... but the lead singer has had serious back surgery and sinus surgery, both of which could have stopped the band dead in its tracks right then and there. Larry has had various physical ailments that come with hitting things for a living, and The Edge has had an incredibly sad experience with his daughter that delayed a tour twice.

They have the highest grossing tour of am time, a record that can probably only be topped at this point by themselves. They have immense wealth and fame beyond their wildest dreams, and they have families that are embarking on their own lives and careers now.

Add that with the idea that the NEXT tour will have them in their 60s, and an ever changing musical landscape that frankly has them on the outside looking in?

Why wouldn't they think of hanging it up?

Now I for one don't think they will retire after this cycle. I do, however, think that this is their final attempt at so called world domination, and that after this, things will be different. But even so... on the last tour, I approached the final Meadowlands show with the idea that it may be the last time I get to see them. I'm glad it's not, but every tour from here on out presents that scenario as a very real possibility. To think other wise would be naive.

Why?

Easy.

Springsteen & The E Street... the Who... the Stones... all are still operating well into their 60s and 70s, none have the original lineups still in place. Key figures yes... everyone no. But they can still go on as long as Mick, Keith, Roger, Pete and Bruce are involved.

Can you see U2 going on without any one of the 4? Of course not. And I'm not necessarily talking of death... but the lead singer has had serious back surgery and sinus surgery, both of which could have stopped the band dead in its tracks right then and there. Larry has had various physical ailments that come with hitting things for a living, and The Edge has had an incredibly sad experience with his daughter that delayed a tour twice.

They have the highest grossing tour of am time, a record that can probably only be topped at this point by themselves. They have immense wealth and fame beyond their wildest dreams, and they have families that are embarking on their own lives and careers now.

Add that with the idea that the NEXT tour will have them in their 60s, and an ever changing musical landscape that frankly has them on the outside looking in?

Why wouldn't they think of hanging it up?

Now I for one don't think they will retire after this cycle. I do, however, think that this is their final attempt at so called world domination, and that after this, things will be different. But even so... on the last tour, I approached the final Meadowlands show with the idea that it may be the last time I get to see them. I'm glad it's not, but every tour from here on out presents that scenario as a very real possibility. To think other wise would be naive.

Good post. Partly why I even brought it up is the fact that I'm not sure I see the "want" in this band anymore, and it's understandable. They have family and other things they're involved in. They're simply not in the same mindset that a band like Arcade Fire or The National are in, where music is their main focus/career. U2 is not in that mindset anymore.

If the album is largely complete, what's stopping them from starting rehearsals soon to be ready for a March tour?

The rumor is they fucking hate rehearsals. And judging by one of the early PopMart shows that I attended, I'm inclined to believe it.

Are you saying you were less than twelve at the time? :sexywink:

Bono is too fat to be a sex symbol right now, which is what he's always been and what I think he wants to be, and which he could be again.

I disagree about Bono wanting to be a sex symbol. I think he has other things on his mind now.

And I strongly disagree about him being "fat" because he isn't.

He looked heavier in the past than he does now. And touring didn't actually prevent him from putting on weight, he's always been stocky. I'd rather have him a little more heavy, but healthy. A little more flesh on the bones could help to deal with stress and handle the physical challenges that come with a certain lifestyle.

And yes, Edge and Adam have been spotted with little bellies as well, it's not only Bono. But Bono has had the most stressful lifestyle and a serious back injury, not once, but at least twice. So I don't think it's that easy for him to lose weight and keep the weight as some people would like to think. We'll talk again when all of you guys are in your 50s, seriously.

Now that's my last comment on B's weight. I just don't like people going around calling someone "fat" who really isn't fat.

Now back to the album.

Wait, what album? :wink:

fatb.png

for me, Bono's only truly "fuckable" period was the 90s when his hair wasn't awful and he was less sanctimonious than in the 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom