New Album Discussion (Is Headache Going To The Superbowl?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
ha!

What we think we know:

- U2 may be announcing their album as a commercial during the Super Bowl

- Recent rumors suggest that the new album will be released in April.

- The Packers are definitely not going to the Super Bowl this year.

Like the last new album time, maybe it would be helpful for whoever starts the thread to summarize what has been going on so far and provide any links etc, so that people that want to just read news dont have to sift through a million posts. If someone could summarize that would be great.

Interesting bit from DMITD

Interesting little tidbit regarding U2 — Matt Pinfield says DM told him he was working with U2 “a year and a half before the Rome project came out” which would put it in 2009, earlier than is usually reported.

so DM might have had a hand in the songs being worked during the Songs of Ascent days.. which confirms what Lanois had claimed earlier this year.

Overcooked seems practically inevitable.

I'd like to think that U2 learned their lesson after NLOTH

songs they claimed to be close to their original state: No Line, MOS, Unknown
songs they worked on for a while (and worked on again, and worked on again): Crazy, Boots, SUC, Breathe

Like the last new album time, maybe it would be helpful for whoever starts the thread to summarize what has been going on so far and provide any links etc, so that people that want to just read news dont have to sift through a million posts. If someone could summarize that would be great.

Post edited.

What's new in the last two weeks:

- confirmation that Danger Mouse is still our producer, not Lillywhite, or anyone else
- confirmation that Ordinary Love will get a video release at some point in the next 10 days (edit: and confirmation that Danger Mouse produces)
- two different months are being bandied about as release times. One article claims March, others: April.
- we can expect to have new album news announced via a Super Bowl advert on Feb 2

What's new in the last two weeks:

- confirmation that Danger Mouse is still our producer, not Lillywhite, or anyone else
- confirmation that Ordinary Love will get a video release at some point in the next 10 days (edit: and confirmation that Danger Mouse produces)
- two different months are being bandied about as release times. One article claims March, others: April.
- we can expect to have new album news announced via a Super Bowl advert on Feb 2

:|

songs they worked on for a while (and worked on again, and worked on again): Crazy, Boots, SUC, Breathe

This,:up: please GOD this

Come on ye people! Stand back and don't shove!

Shove! Shove! Shove!

sorry, I'm nostalgic today. :D

This,:up: please GOD this

Interesting, as I was listening to NLOTH this weekend, and the Crazy Tonight, Stand Up Comedy and Boots triumvirate just guts the album for me. Replace these songs with just about anything else they must have recorded during that time and it probably elevates the album from good to great.

Can we get a perma sticky that can be added to each new thread? Its a lot of work for a poster to sum everything up every 1000 posts...

Interesting, as I was listening to NLOTH this weekend, and the Crazy Tonight, Stand Up Comedy and Boots triumvirate just guts the album for me. Replace these songs with just about anything else they must have recorded during that time and it probably elevates the album from good to great.

This is a perfect summation in my opinion also. While Crazy Tonight I must say I don't hate and SUC, well kinda sucks it's the last one that is the big turd in the swimming pool.... my hatred for this song is becoming legendary around here. You're right replace these three with anything that album is great. :up:

Can we get a perma sticky that can be added to each new thread? Its a lot of work for a poster to sum everything up every 1000 posts...

Well then I would need someone to pm me every time there's some substantial news so that I can add it to the sticky thread. It would have to be a closed thread just for news.

I've heard this is just U2's method. Rumor has it that "Hawkmoon 269" was so named because there were 269 mixes. Eno even mentioned a song off of NLOTH that he'd like to release a full album of because it had so many different mixes.

Personally, I'd like a full U2 album like Zooropa or Million Dollar Hotel where they don't over think it, but that's not U2's normal process. ;)

I've heard this is just U2's method. Rumor has it that "Hawkmoon 269" was so named because there were 269 mixes. Eno even mentioned a song off of NLOTH that he'd like to release a full album of because it had so many different mixes.

Personally, I'd like a full U2 album like Zooropa or Million Dollar Hotel where they don't over think it, but that's not U2's normal process. ;)

I think that NLOTH song with some many mixes and versions was SUC. Imagine a whole album of that.

They should have worked on Unknown Caller's lyrics for a little longer...

Thing is, it doesn't always result in a bad song. Hawkmoon is a good example, but easily the best is WTSHNN. Didn't Eno say they spent like 40% of the entire process of recording the Joshua Tree just on that one song...which led to the famous story of Eno setting up an accident to just delete everything they'd done so they'd have to start over, rather than just tweaking and tweaking what they had? That one turned out okay...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom