New Album Discussion (Is Headache Going To The Superbowl?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something, or is this entire place passing judgment, good or bad, on a horrifically recorded iPhone rip of the song where you can't even hear everything clearly?

Not entirely - I think you can get a decent feel for the song, and the recording isn't actually that bad. It doesn't take a powerful leap of imagination to link what you hear in the full iPhone clip and the movie trailer in better quality. Sure the nuances etc are lost, and that will give a more definite feeling.

I was ready for binning my U2 collection after reading from the bedwetters on this thread.

After hearing it I love it, it gets better with each listen. It's no Acrobat but then nothing could ever be.

Interesting tidbit on the new management...

"In recent years Guy Oseary has become an active investor a number of successful high-tech companies through his venture capital company A-Grade which he formed in conjunction with TV and movie star Ashton Kutcher. Among the companies that A-Grade have invested in are Airbnb and Spotify."

http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2013/11/18/guy-oseary-gets-to-call-the-tune-for-u2/

I've said it before - We might be looking at some kind of spotify tie-in for the new record

about what i was expecting for a soundtrack song. Nothing great, nothing terrible, would put in somewhere with stateless and hands that built america. Neither of which are anything I go back to, but not horrible.

There doesn't ever seem to be a real clear correlation between one off soundtrack songs and new album, so doesn't dampen any expectations/hopes i have.

I don't want an album full of songs like this, but since they have never done anything remotely like that, it would be idiotic to start making assumptions like that.

If this track was in any way similar to Stateless, I would be thrilled with their new direction. Fantastic track.

Yeah, true. Wasn't there someone note-worthy (like Neil McCormick, or Jimmy Iovine or someone of that ilk) who had heard the album and said on Twitter something about how fans shouldn't assume this song was indicative of the album?

Does anyone else remember that?
I think it was Dave Fanning.

edit: whoops, somebody else already got it. sorry there.

I have heard this reported on here a few times as a rumour. Is that a true rumour, or more a joke? Because the band had said back in the R&H days that the name came from a road sign they passed on the tour bus. (ie. 269 miles to Hawkmoon).

I've seen another story in a magazine interview from '89 where Bono says he wrote the original lyric in room 269 of some dodgy hotel.

I've seen another story in a magazine interview from '89 where Bono says he wrote the original lyric in room 269 of some dodgy hotel.

The song actually took 269 takes to record, according to 'Into The Heart.'

The song actually took 269 takes to record, according to 'Into The Heart.'

Yeah, that's what Tim was asking about - whether that comment (269 mixes) was in fact just a joke that became "truth" or whether there's another answer. Seems we have 3-4 different versions of why it got its name.

Musically I'd say UC is pretty great, most of the lyrics are good... just... that chorus.. wtf guys?

Agreed 100%. :up: It's that damn chorus that drags Unknown Caller down. Everything else is almost perfect.. the verses, that solo at the end etc.

Disappointing to you or is this a blanket statement for us all? As personally think it's a pretty catchy tune that serves as a soundtrack song very well, but yes they should go all strange and experimental for a song that plays over the end credits of a movie.

Defensive much?? I don't see where Vlaco said he wanted something "strange and experimental". Stating one's opinion whether positive or negative should be allowed on a discussion board for god's sake!

And we shouldn't have to add IMO to every one of our posts!

As for Ordinary Love, it sounds quite nice and is catchy/easy to like. The lyrics especially in the beginning sound a bit too much like generic typical U2 but they get better as the song progresses. I think. Definitely not terrible but not amazing either. About right for a soundtrack song. (although Hold Me Thrill Me was an exception in my opinion, a Top 20 U2 song for me!)

I actually don't mind Crazy Tonight as a stand alone song. It just does not fit with the overall theme, mood and pacing of the album. And that long ass title, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight is perhaps their worst song title ever... even worse than the terrible Love And Peace Or Else!

What post NLOTH output? There hasn't been any!!

North Star, Glastonbury, Every Breaking Wave, Rise Above, reworked Mercy. The only ''new'' U2 song I like is Boy Falls From The Sky. Maybe no official releases, but they've worked on and played those songs (some several times).
Again, if you like Ordinary Love, good for you :up: I can't make up any details about production etc., but I can hear clearly enough that I'm underwhelmed to say the least.
And then this: it's okay to like a song recorded in a theater with some camera/phone or whatever, but if you make a statement you think it's below par, it's a ridiculous statement because the quality is too bad to judge? :lol:

North Star, Glastonbury, Every Breaking Wave, Rise Above, reworked Mercy. The only ''new'' U2 song I like is Boy Falls From The Sky.

I liked Boy Falls From The Sky a lot. Soon and Return of the Stingray Guitar were pretty good too, and Every Breaking Wave had potential. North Star and the new version of Mercy were fairly mediocre.

As for Glastonbury, it might be one of the worst songs they've ever written.

I like the new song a lot. I've been listening to it a lot yesterday. I didn't have very high expectations, but the song is better than I expected from the clip. I love the bridge that sounds a bit like 80s U2. The drum work is nice, Bono's high register ... well, I'm not a fan of this particular way of singing, but it fits the song quite well, lyrics seem to be fine, too. So nothing to complain, I'm quite happy to hear new U2 material after all this long time :up:

I liked Boy Falls From The Sky a lot. Soon and Return of the Stingray Guitar were pretty good too, and Every Breaking Wave had potential. North Star and the new version of Mercy were fairly mediocre.

As for Glastonbury, it might be one of the worst songs they've ever written.

I forgot Soon. It didn't impress me that much apparently, but it's a nice atmospheric piece of music.

North Star, Glastonbury, Every Breaking Wave, Rise Above, reworked Mercy. The only ''new'' U2 song I like is Boy Falls From The Sky. Maybe no official releases, but they've worked on and played those songs (some several times). Again, if you like Ordinary Love, good for you :up: I can't make up any details about production etc., but I can hear clearly enough that I'm underwhelmed to say the least. And then this: it's okay to like a song recorded in a theater with some camera/phone or whatever, but if you make a statement you think it's below par, it's a ridiculous statement because the quality is too bad to judge? :lol:

They have never been released and most where played in acoustic form? Hardly U2 releasing the song is it?, also rise above wasn't U2 it was bono and edge writing for a broadway play!!

They have never been released and most where played in acoustic form? Hardly U2 releasing the song is it?, also rise above wasn't U2 it was bono and edge writing for a broadway play!!
Those songs were played by total strangers on stage, U2 didn't have anything to do with writing and performing those, Bono and Edge don't have any connection with U2, none of those songs are U2 related.
Excuse me for my ignorance, it won't happen again mr. delicate soul.

Those songs were played by total strangers on stage, U2 didn't have anything to do with writing and performing those, Bono and Edge don't have any connection with U2, none of those songs are U2 related. Excuse me for my ignorance, it won't happen again mr. delicate soul.

The songs are not credited to U2 that is all I am saying?

In fact something is telling me that boy falls from the sky is the only song from Spider-Man that is credited to U2?

And that long ass title, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight is perhaps their worst song title ever...

It is even worse than "Peace on Earth" for instance.
As for "Ordinary Love"... I had very low expectations, counting on U2's artistic options/way over the last decade (specially the last years) but... The song (even in bad quality) sounds like a Coldplay-pastiche which is even more disappointing than what I expected.
If this is a sign of what's coming up here in 2014, don't know if want to hear it.

Great tune for a movie soundtrack, basically what i expected and I expect it to be nominated for a Golden Globe and Oscar. I see this as totally and completely separate from what I expect to hear on the new album next year.

For me, Ordinary Love's biggest crime is that it's killed some of the buzz factor for the first single (which surely must be less than twelve weeks away now). It's a serviceable song, no more no less. Just a pity the fans will be scrutinizing it to the nth degree, instead of looking forward with eager anticipation to new album. Throwing OL out there now is a bit of a dick move by the band :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom