New Album Discussion: Electric Lady Studios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyontheHorizon

The Fly
Carrying on from the other thread. If the band moves elsewhere, we'll start a new thread for that. For now, this is just about news on what is going on now in NY.

What we know:
- U2 are mixing in Electric Lady Studios (52 W. 8th St. in Greenwich Village, NYC)
- Chris Martin was seen coming and going. Bono, Larry, and Bono's assistant were also seen entering the studio.
- Guitars and Ludwig drum heads were brought in
- Danny Lanois: (http://m.theglobeandmail.com/arts/a...el-and-hockey/article12285375/?service=mobile)
And then the connection with Eno led to your work with U2.
Yes. Actually, Bono just came to my place in L.A. a few weeks ago. He let me hear the new record that they’re doing with Danger Mouse. It sounded amazing. Very, very big and powerful-sounding. Some of it was adventurous. There were shades of Achtung Baby. A couple of songs I was familiar with, because we worked on them before but had not completed them. Now they’re back on the burner. Bono is very excited, and he’s singing beautifully. He makes me jealous. Those barrel-chested Irish tenors.
It’s part of the business, but how do you feel about Danger Mouse producing this album, and you not being involved this time around?
I’m actually glad that I’m not making this record with them. I don’t think I’d survive the experiment. It’s hard work. It’s two years, and it will be a character-building experience for Danger Mouse. You really have to be physically fit to make a U2 record. But, really, they’re all hard. All records are hard to make.
Rumors:
- They are in the process of doing a video shoot, as props were bought from the shop across the street
- The Edge - and maybe the rest of the band - will be around until Monday
- Pop and rock

EDITED to add:

Caryn Rose ‏@carynrose 28m

Something being filmed on the roof. Can see Adam and That Hair disaster cc @scatterolight
Caryn Rose ‏@carynrose 28m

The jig is up. Someone yelled at Bono from the street, he made the peace sign
Caryn Rose ‏@carynrose 23m
Larger crowd gathering now
U2 Uruguay U2 Uruguay ‏@U2uruguay 18m
@carynrose Are they going to play something at the roof of the studios?

Caryn Rose Caryn Rose ‏@carynrose 17m
@U2uruguay not likely
And this, whatever this is... https://vine.co/v/bYEIPHBe66J

Personally, I'm relieved if the new album is going to be "pop and rock." I was afraid U2 would be doing something very weird. It's possible to have a new direction yet still remain pop/rock. And if this is the case, then I'm looking forward to hearing it.

U2 in NYC #2: Entire Band with Guitars, Chris Martin & More

"All four members of U2 were back at work today at Electric Lady Studios in New York City, where Danger Mouse has been mixing the next U2 album.

We had a reporter on scene for a few hours in the afternoon, after Bono, The Edge and Adam Clayton had already arrived. While there, our reporter saw Coldplay's Chris Martin arrive, followed by Larry Mullen Jr. about two minutes later.

Shortly after that, a van arrived with three guitars -- each with a white label that said "U2/Edge" -- and our reporter actually helped bring the gear into the studio. (!) He saw Larry and Chris Martin together in another room before heading back outside. There was also a delivery of Ludwig drum heads; Larry's drum tech, Sam O'Sullivan, signed for that delivery.

Bono's assistant was there with what looked like a small case of clothes. The rumor is that there may be some kind of video shoot this weekend in the studio. Our reporter talked to the owner of a shop across the street from the studio, who said "they" (he thinks it was U2's crew) bought props for a video shoot. (That said, there are often lots of TV and movie shoots in New York City, so this could be anything.)

Our reporter also heard some drum tracks from outside, but no full songs, and shot this brief video of Chris Martin leaving. Martin denied he was there with U2, even though our reporter saw him and Larry together in the studio."

Good stuff! :hyper:

yeah, she claims she heard them playing Sunday Bloody Sunday acoustically, which seems odd

yeah, she claims she heard them playing Sunday Bloody Sunday acoustically, which seems odd

They know fans are lurking and maybe decided to play something on the rooftop just for the heck of it? Whatever that short clip is, it doesn't sound like much of anything, but it's too hard to make out anyway.

I agree that it seems odd, and a confirmation by someone else would be nice.

Caryn Rose ‏@carynrose 2m

@chrismc1957 it's a video shoot. Just SBS acoustic over and over.

:huh:

This could be for anything. It could just be something they are doing for a cause for DVD or a TV special. May have nothing to do with new material.

:O boooo

Play new songs! (they should take that chant while they get it, because once they start touring, the casual fans will drown it out with chants of 'play old songs!')

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom