New Album Discussion: Electric Lady Studios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You suggested something resembling the tour that the consensus views as their weakest, at least post-1980's.

:shrug:

I wasn't aware of this "consensus". I guess I've picked up that most people really enjoyed the stripped-back, intimate performances from the Elevation tour.

I think you can have major promotion without it trying to look like the new U2 record is the second coming. I really think at this point the whole biggest band in the world thing is working against them, and believe if the roll out contains some big, over blown stunt it's all going to backfire.

Yes. Plus there's the issue of "taste" with their age. It's obnoxious but true that the sorts of fireworks that work for much younger people can look pretentious and contrived for an older performer. It must be a very hard balance to strike. I wouldn't want to be responsible for it.

Yes. Plus there's the issue of "taste" with their age. It's obnoxious but true that the sorts of fireworks that work for much younger people can look pretentious and contrived for an older performer. It must be a very hard balance to strike. I wouldn't want to be responsible for it.

Well said. Though I understand the right to appear ridiculous is something Bono holds dear.

Which consensus? Did the people with no taste have a convention and take a vote?

And what do you want in a tour? Bigger stadiums? Lasers? More spaceships? :)

To my recollection, the tour isn't spoken of with the same affection as those before or after it. I thought it was common knowledge that it had that standing. If anyone cares to dispute that assumption, I'm all ears.

And nice strawman argument, as if there's no gray area between lasers/spaceships and four guys/four big screens. The Vertigo Tour managed to have a cool visual element without trying to go as big as Popmart/ZooTV. They have creative and intelligent people working with them, it's not going to be a monumental task to scale back from 360 without stripping down everything.

I wasn't aware of this "consensus". I guess I've picked up that most people really enjoyed the stripped-back, intimate performances from the Elevation tour.

Did I imply people didn't enjoy it? I merely stated that it was the weakest, meaning that it appeared most people enjoyed Vertigo and 360 (not to mention the 90s tours) more.

For fuck's sake, Nick's point wasn't really focused on the four screens....he wants less bells, less whistles, less focus on the fucking stage and perhaps more focus on the band being a band. You know what's cool for me? Watching a band find a zone together, play off of one another....not gigantic screens and catwalks all over the place allowing the band to split into wandering minstrels. I recognize that many people like this, and, hell, I loved the size and scope of ZOO TV but even then, they mostly could be found in the same vicinity.

I want to watch them play, and hear them play, not gawk at some overhyped, underwhelming stage that does nothing, really.

You're doing the same thing as Nick--acting as if there's no middle ground.

Was there something about Vertigo that you felt separated the band from themselves and/or the audience? Because I thought that stage show was cool to look at but not distracting from the music.

I think it's safe to say they're not going to try and top 360 in the spectacle sense, so not sure why there's this alarm.

To my recollection, the tour isn't spoken of with the same affection as those before or after it. I thought it was common knowledge that it had that standing. If anyone cares to dispute that assumption, I'm all ears.

I'm not sure who you're referring to when you say that Elevation isn't spoken of with the same "affection." I thought it was by far and away the best tour of the 00's, and easily ranks among my best U2 concert experiences. The band had something to prove on that tour and they played like it. The emotion from the band was just amazing and some of those shows were just into the stratosphere good. They were playing arenas, not stadiums, for most of it, and the lack of pyrotechnics combined with more intimate space just made those shows special. U2 left behind all the flash and were just four guys playing music again. The tour was incredibly well received and they sold out every night unless I'm mistaken. And despite it's scaled back approach it firmly put them back on top.

Vertigo was just Elevation on cruise control and a different set list, and by the time the 360 monster came around they were going through the motions. Don't get me wrong, those were great tours as well, but I don't think the band had the same level of passion and post-Pop motivation that they had for Elevation. Your mileage may vary, but there's certainly no "consensus" that Elevation was one of their weakest tours...much the opposite.

You're doing the same thing as Nick--acting as if there's no middle ground.

Was there something about Vertigo that you felt separated the band from themselves and/or the audience? Because I thought that stage show was cool to look at but not distracting from the music.

I think it's safe to say they're not going to try and top 360 in the spectacle sense, so not sure why there's this alarm.

I am not alarmed....I am just saying that I hope that if they tour again, that it's smaller than 360. I hope you're right in assuming that it's safe to assume this. I'm going no matter what so there's that, but still.

For fuck's sake, Nick's point wasn't really focused on the four screens....he wants less bells, less whistles, less focus on the fucking stage and perhaps more focus on the band being a band. You know what's cool for me? Watching a band find a zone together, play off of one another....not gigantic screens and catwalks all over the place allowing the band to split into wandering minstrels. I recognize that many people like this, and, hell, I loved the size and scope of ZOO TV but even then, they mostly could be found in the same vicinity.

I want to watch them play, and hear them play, not gawk at some overhyped, underwhelming stage that does nothing, really.

Absolutely. And I couldn't care less about the screens...I just mentioned that because, well you pretty much have to have some kind of video for the people in the cheap seats, and there are four band members after all. They can have one big screen for all I care.

I also loved ZOOTV also and have no problem with the spectacle tours. 360 was fine for capping off the decade. But enough. I just want it to be about about the music and as you said, these four life long friends playing off of each other and the audience. And some kind of sense they are on the same stage as each other and in the same room as the fans.

"Wandering minstrels"...fucking brilliant. :)

I'm not sure who you're referring to when you say that Elevation isn't spoken of with the same "affection." I thought it was by far and away the best tour of the 00's, and easily ranks among my best U2 concert experiences.

I'm talking about most people here. Not you specifically. Though you don't care for Pop so we know your taste sucks anyway.

Why don't you, then?

:applaud:

the next tour will be much smaller in scale. they can't top 360° in terms of attendance and all the $$$$$$$ figures, and even attempting only sets them up for failure -- and guess what, U2 hate failing.

all the tour rumors have pointed to an arena tour for the past year-plus, at least in North America.

even if they try to top 360°, who cares? it'll be a damn good show even if you're sitting in section east bumblefuck and have to listen and watch on the screen from afar.

i agree with laz, there's a nice, happy medium in there. it doesn't have to be four dudes, some speakers, one screen, and it doesn't have to be as if 360° and PopMart had a lovechild. what's wrong with a creatively designed arena tour stage?

I saw 360 and Vertigo. The Claw was awesome. The screens on Vertigo weren't really good enough for the people in the nosebleeds from memory.

But, if I had it my way, I'd like to see them strip it back and do arenas. I saw Springsteen in an arena with minimal setup a couple of months ago and it was amazing.

The band, mixed-up setlist, arenas, fewer frills... sounds good, but highly unlikely to me.

Why don't you, then?

That+was+actually+pretty+clever+_ef8147fa18689553fc210081c1fa5eeb.gif

Yeah, as much as I loved 360, I'd love to see them strip it down for this tour.

:up:

And I think they will.

But it's U2. "Downsized" for them still means: Pretty big, compared to other shows. That's also what makes them different and special.

I think they'll try to find a concept in between. To make it work, they will have to start playing smaller venues again.

Am I the only one who wants to see this whole thing downsized?

No space stations, no Claws, no five nights on Letterman, no activists on stage, no giant spinning lemons, etc. Just four guys, maybe four big screens, and the music. There's no way that this can be bigger than the NLOTH roll out, or the 360 tour, so why even try?

I know this is U2, and because of that the record is going to be over hyped no matter what, but I'd just like to see something a little smaller scale and slightly more low key, in both the tour and the promotion of this record. I think you can have major promotion without it trying to look like the new U2 record is the second coming. I really think at this point the whole biggest band in the world thing is working against them, and believe if the roll out contains some big, over blown stunt it's all going to backfire.

yep, i never did care about any of the fluff, it was all about the songs... the other stuff just makes me roll my eyes - i was kind of oblivious to it mostly pre-internet, and Zoo TV was just a great colourful one-off experience, but now with the internet everything feels like overkill and it's meh...

You suggested something resembling the tour that the consensus views as their weakest, at least post-1980's.

:shrug:

Elevation was one of my fave and most memorable U2 concerts actually

It was, indeed.

220px-Myloxyloto.jpg

:huh:

I can't stand that album cover, it's too much.

But then again, I can't stand the album, either. Coldplay's weakest efford, if you ask me.

I started to lose touch with the band with Viva La Vida. I sincerely hope Chris Martin has nothing to do with U2's new album. The media are making a fuss out of him being around the studio in NY, but I doubt he was really recording something with them.

A LOT of people hold Elevation in extremely high regard. I didn't go, as it was relatively late into the ATYCLB promotional cycle when I became a fan, so I'm stuck with bootlegs that, yeah, are pretty poor compared to their other tours. Short setlists, Bono's in weak voice, lots of ATYCLB material...it's just not my thing. 19 songs and you've been around for 25 years? Get the fuck outta here. They were powering through longer, livelier shows a decade later. But people who went didn't care, so I defer to their opinion. I probably would have loved that show no matter what. I wish every tour had its spirit, just with longer, more exciting sets.

I'd like a world tour that's not an ecological disaster. IIRC there was some hideous numbers about what 360 required and involved trucking those claws all over the world. Obviously a world tour involves some unavoidable cost, but simply on its own, "let's build gigantic construction spectacles" as an ambition seems a little gauche and well worth the pressure to tone it down a bit.

Well, so much for trying to give a thoughtful answer to someone like you. With this post you've fulfilled every expectation I have of you.

A LOT of people hold Elevation in extremely high regard. I didn't go, as it was relatively late into the ATYCLB promotional cycle when I became a fan, so I'm stuck with bootlegs that, yeah, are pretty poor compared to their other tours. Short setlists, Bono's in weak voice, lots of ATYCLB material...it's just not my thing. 19 songs and you've been around for 25 years? Get the fuck outta here. They were powering through longer, livelier shows a decade later. But people who went didn't care, so I defer to their opinion. I probably would have loved that show no matter what. I wish every tour had its spirit, just with longer, more exciting sets.

All of this. Too bad more people can't put personal stuff aside and evaluate this tour from a more removed perspective. The band may have been trying some back to basics approach, but it was way too limited in scope, and if it were truly "about the music" the band could have represented a lot more of their repertoire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom