New Album Discussion: Electric Lady Studios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, that's very good guess. The only problem is, 11-12-13 doesn't work if you're in Europe or most of the rest of the world for that matter. I'm sure the American and Canadians would get a hoot out of it though. :)

:lol: That's probably the first thing you've ever said that I wish I had. Pretty funny. :up:

Right then, back to you post.

Typically releases are on Tuesdays in NA and it works well for a large buying group on that day.

Typically releases are on Tuesdays in NA and it works well for a large buying group on that day.

This.

However, and just going by memory because I'm too damn lazy to even bother looking it up, I think U2 -and/or other artists- have favored the Tuesday before American Thanksgiving...but I could be wrong..

Not to sidetrack this thread (don't think it warrants a new one) but a question for fellow blue-crack addicts.

So I came across the Itunes Vertigo commercial again today, and U2 came off as so...."cool". I went back to the September/October 2004 threads and read everyone's excitement for Vertigo, and I also remember how everyone in high school was discussing it back then. Whether people liked it or not, Vertigo was a hit, and it got people talking about U2.

So in this post-Vertigo age, how important is a strong first single to this next album sales? I think it matters more than ever. It seems radio airplay is becoming less diverse (but maybe that's all in my head) and YouTube is the new MTV (even Harlem Shake became super-popular). What do you think?

I'm guessing that Nick's point is more that on this side of the Atlantic - and most of the world - that date would be written 12/11/13 (ie 12 Nov 2013), which doesn't look half as impressive. That and the charts here, in Ireland at least, start on a Friday, in the UK on a Monday, etc. The only way around that would be to co-ordinate a worldwide release day.

Wasn't the last Coldplay album cover filled with colors? Chris Martin was with the band. Lanois stating Achtung Baby adventurism. Just from these small things coupled with nloth being black and white, my bets on a wild colored cover.

Wasn't the last Coldplay album cover filled with colors?

It was, indeed.

220px-Myloxyloto.jpg

I'm guessing that Nick's point is more that on this side of the Atlantic - and most of the world - that date would be written 12/11/13 (ie 12 Nov 2013), which doesn't look half as impressive. That and the charts here, in Ireland at least, start on a Friday, in the UK on a Monday, etc. The only way around that would be to co-ordinate a worldwide release day.

Right you are.

Not to sidetrack this thread (don't think it warrants a new one) but a question for fellow blue-crack addicts.

So I came across the Itunes Vertigo commercial again today, and U2 came off as so...."cool". I went back to the September/October 2004 threads and read everyone's excitement for Vertigo, and I also remember how everyone in high school was discussing it back then. Whether people liked it or not, Vertigo was a hit, and it got people talking about U2.

So in this post-Vertigo age, how important is a strong first single to this next album sales? I think it matters more than ever. It seems radio airplay is becoming less diverse (but maybe that's all in my head) and YouTube is the new MTV (even Harlem Shake became super-popular). What do you think?

I think U2 know they need a strong first single, esp after No Line. In the US your casual music fan see's Vertigo as the last U2 thing. Some remember Saints, but thats more cause of Green Day than anything. Boots may not have been the best 1st single choice, but it also didnt have the promo Vertigo did.

I suspect U2 are going to promote the hell outta this new album. Maybe radio payola for the single, but I think they know they can't afford another No Line. A hit single will get alot more casuals to buy the album.

Wasn't the last Coldplay album cover filled with colors? Chris Martin was with the band. Lanois stating Achtung Baby adventurism. Just from these small things coupled with nloth being black and white, my bets on a wild colored cover.

:huh:

Chris Martin visit = color on the album cover? Now that's some genius deduction right there.

I think what U2 need to do this time around is a big non-traditional (for a lack of a better word) PR stunt. Radiohead had their give it away free stunt, Kanye recently had viral videos randomly projected on to buildings in certain major cities, just something creative that will create a buzz. I think that way they don't have to worry about such a radio friendly song and they can release anything they want, I think if they went that route last time they could have gotten away with releasing something like MOS.

I'm hoping that hanging out with all these younger "hipster"(as someone called them earlier) guys that something like this will rub off on them. I think one of the issues U2 has had recently is that they've been surrounded by the same old school traditional industry guys. I think one of the reasons the AB reinvention was so successful is that they seemed to surround themselves(maybe not so much in their inner-circle) with different artists. Almost every interview or backstage story back then was some mention of hanging out with rappers, controversial authors, or other artists not always just their peers and contemporaries. So here's to hoping :weekend:

I think what U2 need to do this time around is a big non-traditional (for a lack of a better word) PR stunt. Radiohead had their give it away free stunt, Kanye recently had viral videos randomly projected on to buildings in certain major cities, just something creative that will create a buzz. I think that way they don't have to worry about such a radio friendly song and they can release anything they want, I think if they went that route last time they could have gotten away with releasing something like MOS.

Too bad they already collaborated with NASA.

Imagine if U2's new video was debuted online with an introduction by someone up in the International Space Station.

Perhaps they should make this record a Wal-Mart exclusive. They could even kick off the promo tour there.

Am I the only one who wants to see this whole thing downsized?

No space stations, no Claws, no five nights on Letterman, no activists on stage, no giant spinning lemons, etc. Just four guys, maybe four big screens, and the music. There's no way that this can be bigger than the NLOTH roll out, or the 360 tour, so why even try?

I know this is U2, and because of that the record is going to be over hyped no matter what, but I'd just like to see something a little smaller scale and slightly more low key, in both the tour and the promotion of this record. I think you can have major promotion without it trying to look like the new U2 record is the second coming. I really think at this point the whole biggest band in the world thing is working against them, and believe if the roll out contains some big, over blown stunt it's all going to backfire.

No space stations, no Claws, no five nights on Letterman, no activists on stage, no giant spinning lemons, etc. Just four guys, maybe four big screens, and the music.

I know this is U2, and because of that the record is going to be over hyped no matter what, but I'd just like to see something a little smaller scale and slightly more low key, in both the tour and the promotion of this record. I think you have have major promotion without it trying to look like the new U2 record is the second coming. I really think at this point the whole biggest band in the world thing is working against them. I think if the whole roll out contains some big, over blown stunt it's all going to backfire.

Amen.

No space stations, no Claws, no five nights on Letterman, no activists on stage, no giant spinning lemons, etc. Just four guys, maybe four big screens, and the music.

Four big screens? Where ever did you get that idea?

Sounds like ATYCLB/Elevation again.

No thanks.

No space stations, no Claws, no five nights on Letterman, no activists on stage, no giant spinning lemons, etc. Just four guys, maybe four big screens, and the music. There's no way that this can be bigger than the NLOTH roll out, or the 360 tour, so why even try?

I know this is U2, and because of that the record is going to be over hyped no matter what, but I'd just like to see something a little smaller scale and slightly more low key, in both the tour and the promotion of this record. I think you can have major promotion without it trying to look like the new U2 record is the second coming. I really think at this point the whole biggest band in the world thing is working against them, and believe if the roll out contains some big, over blown stunt it's all going to backfire.

No, I agree. That's exactly what my post was about, I may have used the word "big" but all I meant was big idea. I think you can still be big idea without talking like it's the second coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom