New album discussion: After despair comes acceptance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But seriously, before last Friday I thought the general consensus, both on Interference and elsewhere, was that an album and tour announcement were imminent, as in, an official announcement in March.
There was no such consensus. Whatsoever.

@ Nick / Morgan: For what's of my interest, Billboard or The Guardian doesn't change my way of regarding this; I'll be happy to have the album when it's ready, just like you.

What makes me doubtful, but genuinely, is: how does a label rep know 1 year before that U2 is gonna finish their record in early 2015? My point of this is: they're artists. So, these label people are probably roughly instructed by the band or have a great insight, otherwise how is it possible?...do you agree at least with this?

The band is at the moment intending to release the album in 2014. That's why they have a rep out there saying they are intending to release it in 2014 and that the 2015 rumour is, indeed, just a rumour.
It really isn't an effin riddle.

"But it's not a delay if there was never a release date!" someone is bound to say.

That's not really true, but it makes people feel better.

Well, apparently someone from Interscope did say that:

While an Interscope representative maintains that with a release date never announced the album shouldn't be considered delayed, Billboard has learned that a tour initially on track for a mid-March announcement and September start date, booked by Live Nation's Global Touring division, will now begin in summer 2015.

What makes me doubtful, but genuinely, is: how does a label rep know 1 year before that U2 is gonna finish their record in early 2015? My point of this is: they're artists. So, these label people are probably roughly instructed by the band or have a great insight, otherwise how is it possible?...do you agree at least with this?

The label rep doesn't know with certainty when the album will be released any more than a "U2 rep" does. They're both just making educated guesses/talking points based on the best information available.

I think U2 probably informed the label that they won't be ready to tour until 2015, but are trying to get the album done for a 2014 release while at the same time leaving themselves some breathing room in case the album takes longer than expected* to come together.

So the Interscope people probably heard one thing, and the U2 camp another, all in the course of the same meeting.

*"Longer than expected" is of course a meaningless term when you've been promising an album, complete with title and first single, since 2009. But I digress.

This is an especially stupid argument.

They are going to try to release the album at some point this year. Fall, autumn, winter, whenever. It makes much more sense in every way possible to release it this year opposed to early next year. If they aren't happy come fall? Guess what, they won't release it!

Honestly, who cares about which source is right? If you really thought all along that the Billboard report was canon, and that U2 were no matter what going to release the album in 2015, then you're silly. If you think that U2 are going to drop a surprise release on us in the near future, you're equally silly.

Danger Mouse has to be particularly upset with them ringing in two of the most poppy producers to come in and put their mark on the album. I wonder if they are touching danger mouses work or if their songs are separate. I wonder if he's a don't fuck with my work kind of guy.

Are some of you married to Billboard or something?
First state that the Billboard story must be true, because the band hasn't issued a statement denying it. Then when this statement does arrive Billboard is somehow still right?
Even if the album does arrive in 2015, Billboard still published a hunch instead of a fact. No matter how you want to spin it.

OK so billboard is wrong. They ran with faulty information that they shouldn't have. They published a hunch instead of information from a reputable source.

Ok.

So what about the album's producer publicly stating that he has no fucking idea what's going on anymore?

Wouldn't that be a tad concerning?

Yay, keep delaying and tweeking,

Stand Up Comedy part II... Here it comes

The magic is back!!!!

This is exactly what I think. Like people said, U2 never would have gone, "There's no way this gets out in the next nine months" if they still think they're this close (assuming they haven't abandoned the DM material). But people at the label checking in are probably getting updates and going, "Fuck this mess, they're so screwed."

jeesus you people are depressing :crack:

Bono's quoted as aiming for prog rock. Cue the :panic: button anyone?

I'm all for an experimental U2 album. Prog rock included. With the right....producer(s), of course. :wink:

i think B-man was talking about the other (good, non-prog rock) music going on in 1977 - or at least i hope so :lol:

I've been away; it's been nice. I heard Invisible on the radio yesterday, and smiled. Now I'm off to eat pie.

Interference should produce the next U2 album. Now that would be something funny to see.

By the way, I agree with the general consensus (is there one?) that the tour is surely delayed, because the album is - oh, surprise - delayed as well, but they're trying to release sometime in 2014 ( probably the U2 time of year, which is sep/oct/nov).

That said, there's something weird: the South American tour was programmed to be in earlier 20145. I wonder if they could stick to this in order to minimize the damages. I mean, they could start the new tour in South America (after the promo tour in Europe/US) and stick to the programmed dates in 2015, delaying only the programmed 2014 ones.

By the way, someone mentioned something about a pic of Adam shirtless. Where it is? I want Bono's as we'll (and I'm nothing talking about that infamous pics of him in France, in the beach)

Stuff in the Billboard article:
1. No album until 2015
2. March tour announcement was imminent and LiveNation was booking summer dates; now it has shifted to 2015
3. U2 has booked additional sessions with two new producers: Ryan Tedder and Paul Epworth.

To all the Billboard doubters, is it only #1 that is offensive to you, or are the other two items bollocks as well? Do you believe the stuff about Tedder and Epworth is also just the rantings of an intern?

This is an especially stupid argument.

They are going to try to release the album at some point this year. Fall, autumn, winter, whenever. It makes much more sense in every way possible to release it this year opposed to early next year. If they aren't happy come fall? Guess what, they won't release it!

Honestly, who cares about which source is right? If you really thought all along that the Billboard report was canon, and that U2 were no matter what going to release the album in 2015, then you're silly. If you think that U2 are going to drop a surprise release on us in the near future, you're equally silly.

yes. gosh. this is all there is.

it's really weird how fans people get pleasure in believing the worst about U2 -- when it comes to their recording process, or their "tweaking" (oh noes! more SUC! more kneel/feel!), or their motives -- and present that as evidence of being oh-so-savvy about life and U2 while sneering at people who are just a little bit more optimistic about their favorite band.

i understand some frustration, but there's a point when cynicism becomes naivete, and instead of smart you just look unhappy.

OK so billboard is wrong. They ran with faulty information that they shouldn't have. They published a hunch instead of information from a reputable source.

Ok.

So what about the album's producer publicly stating that he has no fucking idea what's going on anymore?

Wouldn't that be a tad concerning?

He has no clue what is going on with the SECOND album. The first one is done and that's the one he produced. :shifty:

And I said from the beginning that the Billboard article was crap. It was someone fishing for info and the fan outcry prompted a response from a band spokesperson. They said the article was false, but didn't give any additional info, leaving us once again awaiting the album(s) announcement. Well played, U2. Denounce the 2015 bull**** and still keep the air of secrecy.

God, apparently, is a One Direction fan.

And so am I. :D

1D has put out THREE albums in three years, so obviously they're doing something right. Bring it on.
Up All Night in 2011, Take Me Home in 2012, and Midnight Memories in 2013. :up:

Interference should produce the next U2 album.

I want to be in charge of promo and wardrobe. And we need new graphic designers as well.

Serena_Vox, I believe you wanted that job. :wink:

By the way, someone mentioned something about a pic of Adam shirtless. Where it is? I want Bono's as we'll (and I'm nothing talking about that infamous pics of him in France, in the beach)

PLEBA. Adam performed shirtless during a number of the 360 gigs, most of which were also rain-soaked gigs. Wet. Shirtless. Adam. Need I say more? :drool:

Seriously, go check out Lord Clayton's Castle and feel free to ask around in PLEBA. We'll be happy to accommodate all shirtless requests to the best of our photobucket abilities!

As lovely as that is, the wet ones are better.

That willie link was one of the best played moments ever. I only wish I'd thought of it.

But then again, given the attitude around here, had I done it, I'd probably have been reported. :rolleyes:

Whilst fighting about the Billboard/Interscope fiasco, I REALLY think the devil we're missing in the details is DangerMouse. I think we can possibly glean some info at what he has expressed the last couple times he's opened his mouth. That's where the big news is... another producer alienated by this band. Bring in the non-hipster hit makers of tedder and epworth. They can certainly smooth out those jagged edges.

What did Danger Mouse say? I tried digging through the 200 posts that I missed today, but I gave up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom