New Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Zane Lowe was talking about The Stone Roses? Four members, they are recording new material and have been ultra secretive about it. Not sure about "arguably the biggest rock and roll band" but they have a heluva legacy, and Lowe is known for his generous use of hyperbole. Just seems waaaay too early for U2 to start playing tracks to the media.

Maybe Zane Lowe was talking about The Stone Roses? Four members, they are recording new material and have been ultra secretive about it. Not sure about "arguably the biggest rock and roll band" but they have a heluva legacy, and Lowe is known for his generous use of hyperbole. Just seems waaaay too early for U2 to start playing tracks to the media.

That's what I thought too until the timeline for NLOTH was pointed out and that radio stations were starting to get invited in 5-6 months before the album was released.

When you think about it, if the single comes out late August/early September, the hype train will kick in full gear in about 3 months already. They could be inviting a small group in to help them determine the 1st single as well. I wouldn't be surprised if there's extra attention dedicated to this considering GOYB flopped.

Didn't Bono just the other day tell a fan that now is the time to be working on the album, not talking about it. Something like that. Who knows, God may be being helped across the road like a little old lady as we speak!:wink:

Im sorry but "arguably the biggest rock band in the world" is either U2 or (and I'm sorry if some here don't want to hear this) Coldplay.

I can't see any other band currently active that can contend with those two...

And I'm not talking about quality here, simply in terms of hits, sales and world wide exposure.

Im sorry but "arguably the biggest rock band in the world" is either U2 or (and I'm sorry if some here don't want to hear this) Coldplay.

Jagger, Richards, Watts, Wood..

very unlikely, but the Stones could have a surprise album in the works

I definitely think it is them due to the element of secrecy surrounding this project which is on a scale we haven't seen in some time from them
Air tight logic! U2 don't do this anymore, so clearly it must be them.

(I know this is a quote from a user on atU2, by the way.)

Ugh. I remember reading that. I had put that interview out of my mind in order to delude myself into being optimistic. But at least it's over two years old by now and was before they really got going on this next album.

Anyway, when I think of U2 + Danger Mouse - I think of stuff like "Salome".
Groovy bass driven pop songs. Or "Last Night on Earth" will less noise.

Methinks this album will either work really well or it flat out won't.
But that's fine. Swing for the fences, boys.

Even with with Danger Mouse,my expectation are very low.The band is tired creatively speaking.Bono's songwriting has been mediocre at best in the last 3 albums.And since producers don't write songs or compose music,i don't anticipate any changes.

I would love a Zooropa record,but i bet we'll end up with a ATYCLB album,since Bono's goal is to be on the radio.

And I'm not talking about quality here, simply in terms of hits, sales and world wide exposure.

You're right I didn't want to hear that :lol::wink:

He said "one of the world's biggest rock bands". Knowing Zane Lowe and his hyperactive tendency to hyperbole, that description could apply to a lot of bands.

If any song on the new U2 album sounds even remotedly like "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkly, I'm going to hang myself. I hate that song with a passion. :huh:

I'm not going to read too much into that Zane thing. No matter what band it was, does anyone think he's going to go on the radio and say anything other than "it sounds great!" ?

"I got a sneak peek of some big album .... it was pretty crap."

I wouldn't want to have waited 4 years (already?!) for another Zooropa. The world needs a U2 rock n' roll album (yes, I'm bold enough to speak for the world).

Because rock n' roll today sucks dirty cheetos.

The Stone Roses are not so big! They're very famous in the UK, but outside they're popular only among Brit-pop lovers (like me!)

I wouldn't want to have waited 4 years (already?!) for another Zooropa. The world needs a U2 rock n' roll album (yes, I'm bold enough to speak for the world).

Because rock n' roll today sucks dirty cheetos.

When did U2 make a "rock 'n' roll" album anyway?

When did U2 make a "rock 'n' roll" album anyway?

Well, each album has a few rock n' roll songs, but some albums stand out more than others.

Achtung Baby. War. The Joshua Tree. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Boy. Rattle and Hum. I would consider those rock n' roll albums.

October kind of belongs in that group too, but I won't include it. The first half of Pop has a lot of rock n' roll in it as well.

Glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity.

Yeah.

And the words of the prophets were written on the studio walls

CONCERT HALLS:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Seriously though what if a new U2 song sounded like Boots :yuck:

I'll just be thrilled if they manage to avoid a duet with Rihanna and a music video starring Bono in an elephant costume. Even if this next album is complete and utter garbage, it's only in comparison to their previous work and will probably be gold in comparison to what I hear on my FM every single day here in H-Town. U2 are their own standard.

I'll just be thrilled if they manage to avoid a duet with Rihanna and a music video starring Bono in an elephant costume. Even if this next album is complete and utter garbage, it's only in comparison to their previous work and will probably be gold in comparison to what I hear on my FM every single day here in H-Town. U2 are their own standard.

Obviously a big Coldplay fan!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

U2 have been very quiet about this album by U2 standards. Probably a good thing but it is hard to tell with this band. :shrug:

U2 rarely completely disappoints me. There are at least 4-5 songs on every album that I really enjoy. That really is pretty good for most artists. I think we are all just hoping they can pull off that "complete" album again. U2 has done it twice IMO. Most artists only do it once, or never. So hoping for a third is not impossible, but not super likely either. But there is always hope! :)

I've "Got A Feeling" this album is going to be a good one, but not a "complete" one like JT and AB. :wink:

I'm looking forward to it, but I don't think we'll hear anything concrete until later this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom