New Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will probably talk about it from about 7, but I need to double check with management that I'm allowed to even mention it.

did he talk about it??

From the atU2 community again, thanks to Smisam13 for the text:

"We went to listen to new music by arguably the biggest rock band in the world, cant even tell you who it is or what it is, cant even talk about it, not ready yet. All I can say is that it's amazing..(chatter)...We just did an interview with arguably the biggest band going around right now and can't even tell you who it is or when its going out or what's happening with it, cant talk about it !"

"...Everyone's just like, 'we'd love to talk to you, cant tell anybody about it ! We'd love you to hear the record but can't tell anybody about it yet!'

He seemed very frustrated he couldn't say anything about it, but the main pieces of new information we can take from this is if this is U2 which I would bet any money it is then they are now doing secret previews of the new record and interviews with the band as we speak !

..and I definitely think it is them due to the element of secrecy surrounding this project which is on a scale we haven't seen in some time from them, I think that they are willing to share what they have (which is pretty much the finished result) and get second opinions from (not surprisingly) radio dj's and the like. I think they are just holding back for a end of year release so it can fall in to their common schedule and I am willing to bet they this will be out by October.

Would need to check the timelines for NLOTH, but I think Q magazine did a small feature about them recording the album which mentioned a couple of songs that either didnt make it or had name changes, such as Tripoli and Winter. Think they did this in the winter of 2008 edition, which meant the editor would have had to be in the studio listening to it late Autumn, which is about say 6 months out from the release date. That kinda schedule fits in with Zane Lowe listening in now, if it is U2 that is!?

Well, last time w/ Zane Low, was like that:

"http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hpkmh" - Feb 23, 2009

Seems that he heard the album before this date...

And yes, he had a lot of interviews with the band, as we know... Seems plausible to me....I don't know... He seemed very enthusiastic about what he heard.

It could be U2...

Or maybe, The Dalton Brothers.

Definitely not too early in the cycle. That Q Magazine article about U2 being in the studio was dated 1st September 2008, so a good 6 months before the eventual release date. Mentions 5 or 6 songs in it, see this link from atU2:

In the Studio: U2

Definitely not too early in the cycle. That Q Magazine article about U2 being in the studio was dated 1st September 2008, so a good 6 months before the eventual release date. Mentions 5 or 6 songs in it, see this link from atU2:

In the Studio: U2

Thanks. Now that you say that, I do remember this article. Hard to believe we're only 6 months away.

There are others around that time as well, such as Billboard and some english newspaper articles, even from July 2008 mentioning song titles. atU2 have a good search facility for album news with links to all those articles.

This is what I want DangerMouse to bring to U2 (he's playing the drums and produced/wrote songs for Broken Bells):

Broken Bells - The High Road (Live at The Boat) - YouTube

I listen to indie/alt rock these days and 75% of the stuff I enjoy can be passed into the mainstream but because of 0 sex appeal etc. it never will. Most songs are pretty simple and enjoyable. I think getting DM involved w/ U2 will put the focus back on the music. This might be the most important thing for U2 at this point. Not so much recreating a whole new U2 but get them back at what their really good at.

I know many people don't care for ATYCLB but most of the songs are quite enjoyable and fit the live setting. This was the last time U2 bragged immensely about the songs & delivered.

As with the song above I want U2 to give their new music some breathing room. They have an awesome rhythm section that can re-leave Bono from singing on top of the entire tune. I know I'm rambling but I want new U2 :hyper:

Love your enthusiasm but that song is just crap :huh:

if Zane Lowe really is talking about U2.. then I think things are going to get rolling soon..

- Rolling Stone and Q will probably feature another In the Studio article
- we'll start getting song titles
- we'll hear beach clips, or at least hear second-hand descriptions of how songs sound
- Bono will start talking...
- U2.com might feature some exlusive videos.

If we are entering this phase, then things are about to get fun. :up:

if Zane Lowe really is talking about U2.. then I think things are going to get rolling soon..

- Rolling Stone and Q will probably feature another In the Studio article
- we'll start getting song titles
- we'll hear beach clips, or at least hear second-hand descriptions of how songs sound
- Bono will start talking...
- U2.com might feature some exlusive videos.

If we are entering this phase, then things are about to get fun. :up:

I can't wait to start hearing about Edge's molten lava from Alpha Centauri super guitar lickz again!

Actually, things could even get more fun more quickly! When you think about it all those articles in August and Sept 2008 (and even some late July 2008) were probably written or researched/compiled the previous month and crucially were at a time when the album was still supposed to come out in November 2008. So this was meant to be about a 3 month lead in preview, but in the end turned out to be a 6 month lead in. So if this is the start of a similar process we may be only 3 or 4 months away from first single/album?! Maybe Sept 2013 album?

And then I woke up from my dream!

And of course to caveat again, we still don't know for sure if it is U2 that Zane Lowe is talking about.

Unfortunately Q's former editor (Paul Rice I think it was?) was very pro U2 and would do those interviews himslef quite often. Not sure what the new guys will be like?

It would be a good idea not to get too excited yet. It is very likely that the preview was for another band that is 'arguably' the biggest in rock. Heck, that could be lots of bands right now.

Actually, things could even get more fun more quickly! When you think about it all those articles in August and Sept 2008 (and even some late July 2008) were probably written or researched/compiled the previous month and crucially were at a time when the album was still supposed to come out in November 2008. So this was meant to be about a 3 month lead in preview, but in the end turned out to be a 6 month lead in. So if this is the start of a similar process we may be only 3 or 4 months away from first single/album?! Maybe Sept 2013 album?

And then I woke up from my dream!

And of course to caveat again, we still don't know for sure if it is U2 that Zane Lowe is talking about.

What's nice is that if the album does come our in October, we'll definitely have a single by late August, so in terms of new U2 music we're looking at 4 months. :)

It would be a good idea not to get too excited yet. It is very likely that the preview was for another band that is 'arguably' the biggest in rock. Heck, that could be lots of bands right now.

Could be, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a band with 4 members that has an album coming out later this year that could be considered the biggest band of rock & roll.

Could be, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a band with 4 members that has an album coming out later this year that could be considered the biggest band of rock & roll.

This report is from Europe? If so it might be Kings Of Leon. Those guys are big in Europe.

Another barometer of how close we are to new material is the amount of people viewing the WTAHNN thread!! For months it had languished in the low single digits with tumbleweeds blowing through it. Today we had the low 40's of viewers at one point! There you go, absolute confirmation if ever you needed it!

Love your enthusiasm but that song is just crap :huh:

I tend to prefer this one by them... might have to give the album another listen to see if others stand out though.

Broken Bells - The Ghost Inside (Live at The Boat) - YouTube

I can't wait to start hearing about Edge's molten lava from Alpha Centauri super guitar lickz again!

I suppose they have to say something other than "eh, this new stuff is okay. It's not up to par with our previous stuff, but it'll do." :wink:

This is what I want DangerMouse to bring to U2 (he's playing the drums and produced/wrote songs for Broken Bells):

Broken Bells - The High Road (Live at The Boat) - YouTube

I listen to indie/alt rock these days and 75% of the stuff I enjoy can be passed into the mainstream but because of 0 sex appeal etc. it never will. Most songs are pretty simple and enjoyable. I think getting DM involved w/ U2 will put the focus back on the music. This might be the most important thing for U2 at this point. Not so much recreating a whole new U2 but get them back at what their really good at.

I know many people don't care for ATYCLB but most of the songs are quite enjoyable and fit the live setting. This was the last time U2 bragged immensely about the songs & delivered.

As with the song above I want U2 to give their new music some breathing room. They have an awesome rhythm section that can re-leave Bono from singing on top of the entire tune. I know I'm rambling but I want new U2 :hyper:

I feel the total opposite..... this is easy-boring music for me and I would be so sad if they go this direction. They won't.

[/QUOTE]

I suppose they have to say something other than "eh, this new stuff is okay. It's not up to par with our previous stuff, but it'll do." :wink:[/QUOTE]

And Bono has to praise someone other than himself at least some of the time. So, Edge on fire from outer space it is.

"Biggest" is so subjective. Could be anyone. Of course, U2 comes to mind quickly, but other 4 piece possibilities that could release music in 2013:
Black Sabbath
Tool
Coldplay
Alice in Chains

That's just a quick google search. Obviously U2 is bigger than any of these, but Tool fans may disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom