Neon Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellay

Refugee
As far as I know the only time U2 has ever performed Neon Lights Live was during Popmart at Wembley in 1997. (According to u2tours.com)

Funny thing is that I was there at the time and don't remember it at all.

Although admittedly I may have been on my way out for a slash at the time, I remember singing the next song - Still havent found - in those horrible, thankfully demolished, wembley urinals.

Anyone else remember it at all??? (Neon Lights that is, not the urinals)

Elevation-tour.com records that Neon Lights was only played once, but they say it was in Leipzig, Germany on 29 July 1997. The way their setlist is done, it looks like ISHFWILF was the snippet and Neon Lights was the full song ... interesting.

Wish I had a bootleg of that concert or the Wembley one you mention. Wait, I might have the Wembley one in my MP3 collection. I'll go look it up.

Edit: Nope don't have either Wembley concert from Popmart. Hopefully someone else can come in and clear up the mystery.

Last edited:
I think Bono sang a snippet of it regularly at Popmart concerts. I know I have a snippet somewhere (although I don't know at which concert). Maybe they even played it at the Sarajevo concert (but has to look it up).

C ya!

Marty

In the beginning of I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For in Popmart Rotterdam first night ...Bono sang a snippet right before going to his monologue.

Cheers,

J

Popmartijn said:
Maybe they even played it at the Sarajevo concert (but has to look it up).

I used to know the Sarajevo gig a lot better than I do now (I've been listening to heaps of eighties gigs over the last few months), but I'm 100% certain he never did it at Sarajevo. I'm not sure I recall hearing it on any Popmart bootleg, but then again, I didn't exactly know what to listen for until recently ...

jick is correct. about a 10 sec snip at the beginning of the Rotterham Still Haven't Found. Do you figure this was around the time when the cover version was recorded? it would make sense, cuz i've had the cover version thats going to be on the single for awhile now. just becasue they are including the cover version on a single now, doesn't mean it was recorded recently (think Big Girls are Best) Also, that might be why bono had the lyrics in his head for those Popmart shows, cuz they were recording it in the studio at the time?

Its quite intresting the way they hold onto ideas for years..

Just look at the way the titles of future songs made it onto the cover of the zooropa album..

Although I'd be surprised if they recorded neon lights back in the popmart days, because they didnt even have time to finish the pop album, plus the fact that a pop era style song wouldn't necessarily sound right released with the new album.

I dunno, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom