Need Some Quick Advice On Which U2 Rarities I Should Get For My Compilation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Hi all -

A friend of mine is burning me a CD, but wants to know which songs I want. He wants to burn it right away, too. Only problem is, I am totally blocked! I know I want U2 7 (The Target Store compilation), but which other ones? I've got all the b-sides from the first Best Of, and most of the ones from the second Best Of (not inlcuding most of the remixes). I've also got most of the b-sides from the 90's singles: 'Night and Day'; 'Satelite of Love', etc.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

* 'I'm Not Your Baby' with Sinead O' Connor (don't remember how good this one is)
* 'Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk' (I honestly don't remember this track - is it good, too?)
* 'My Time Hasn't Come (From a Joshua Tree Tour soundcheck)
* 'Heaven and Hell' (Achtung Baby outtake)
* 'I've Got You Under My Skin' (with Frank)
* 'Stateles' (which I've got, but I love it)
* 'Never Let Me Go' (got that, too, but it's so good)

Are there any other suggestions out there? I was thinking 15 or 16 tracks would fit. So that would be 7 from U2 7, plus another 8 or 9.

I need to have answers really soon! Thank-you everyone

Michael Griffiths said:
Hi all -

A friend of mine is burning me a CD, but wants to know which songs I want. He wants to burn it right away, too. Only problem is, I am totally blocked! I know I want U2 7 (The Target Store compilation), but which other ones? I've got all the b-sides from the first Best Of, and most of the ones from the second Best Of (not inlcuding most of the remixes). I've also got most of the b-sides from the 90's singles: 'Night and Day'; 'Satelite of Love', etc.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

* 'I'm Not Your Baby' with Sinead O' Connor (don't remember how good this one is)
* 'Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk' (I honestly don't remember this track - is it good, too?)
* 'My Time Hasn't Come (From a Joshua Tree Tour soundcheck)
* 'Heaven and Hell' (Achtung Baby outtake)
* 'I've Got You Under My Skin' (with Frank)
* 'Stateles' (which I've got, but I love it)
* 'Never Let Me Go' (got that, too, but it's so good)

Are there any other suggestions out there? I was thinking 15 or 16 tracks would fit. So that would be 7 from U2 7, plus another 8 or 9.

I need to have answers really soon! Thank-you everyone

Deep & The Heart & Race Against Time are 2 of my fave JT B-sides not on the 1st Best of. Boomerang I & II & 60 Seconds in Kingdom Come are cool UF B-sides. Also Sweet Fire Of Love is a great track U2 co performed & co-wrote with Robbie Robertson. It rocks.

Re: Re: Need Some Quick Advice On Which U2 Rarities I Should Get For My Compilation...

Hawkmoon1021 said:

Deep & The Heart & Race Against Time are 2 of my fave JT B-sides not on the 1st Best of. Boomerang I & II & 60 Seconds in Kingdom Come are cool UF B-sides. Also Sweet Fire Of Love is a great track U2 co performed & co-wrote with Robbie Robertson. It rocks.
Thank-you!! I'd forgotten about those. Is it 'Deep & The Heart' or 'Deep In The Heart'? 'Race Against Time' is an instrumental if I remember correctly. Which Boomerang is better? I agree with you about 'Sweet Fire Of Love' - could Bono's voice be any better? Ah, you have to love that rich late 80s, Love Town era tenor!

Woops...Deep In The Heart. One of my favorite tracks. It has kind of a Stateless feel to it. Great spacey U2. :yes:

I think I prefer Boomerang II, it has some vocals on it & is pretty funky.

Dreaming With Tears in My Eyes...damn beautiful and touching
North and South of the River from Omagh Tribute...again marvellous, much better than the single version IMO
Wild Irish Rose...I managed to get a file without that woman talking in the end...let me know if you want/need that one
Bad from Live Aid...maybe not exactly a rarity, but it?s the definition of perfection for me.

:up:

Last edited:
follower said:
Dreaming With Tears in My Eyes...damn beautiful and touching
North and South of the River from Omagh Tribute...again marvellous, much better than the single version IMO
Wild Irish Rose...I managed to get a file without that woman talking in the end...let me know if you want/need that one
Bad from Live Aid...maybe not exactly a rarity, but it?s the definition of perfection for me.

:up:
Follower - thanks so much for reminding me of 'Wild Irish Rose'! Such a beautiful Irish song. I don't have it though! Does your version have Bono talking in the middle of it? Every one I've heard does, so I imagine yours does, too. I would like to hear your version though, simply because it doesn't have "that woman" talking at the end!! How could I get it from you? I'm hopeless with technical things. My cousin Alex (whose burning me the CD) would be able to get it, I'm thinking. Just let me know what to do! I'm going to PM you! Thank-you.:)

I also agree with you that 'North And South' live from Omagh is much better than the b-side version. There is a song that needs to be re-recorded. 'Dreaming With Tears in My Eyes' - I love both versions of that song, too.

I'm guessing only 17 songs will fit. I've put a rough copy of the track order together, but this will have to change because 1) there are too many songs, and 2) because I don't remember what some of the songs sound like. I think 'Always' sounds great after 'Stateless' though. Can everyone help me decide which songs to keep? Comments on track order would also be greatly appreciated.:) Here are 20 songs to choose from:

A Celebration
Big Girls Are Best
Beautiful Day (Quincey & Sonance remix)
Elevation (Influx remix)
Walk On (Nigel Goodrich mix)
Never Let Me Go
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (Acoustic)
I'm Not Your Baby
Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk
My Time Hasn't Come
Heaven and Hell
I've Got You Under My Skin
Stateles
Always
Deep In The Heart
Race Against Time
Summer Rain
Bommerang II
60 Seconds In Kingdom Come
Wild Irish Rose

Too tough to name all 17, but here are a few from the list that I would keep:

Walk On (Goodrich Mix)...better than the album version IMO
Alex Descends...very intense, very good
A Celebration...just because it's a great song

I'm not so hot on the two ATYCLB remixes...thats just my personal taste though. Hope it helps somewhat!

walkon11 said:
Too tough to name all 17, but here are a few from the list that I would keep:

Walk On (Goodrich Mix)...better than the album version IMO
Alex Descends...very intense, very good
A Celebration...just because it's a great song

I'm not so hot on the two ATYCLB remixes...thats just my personal taste though. Hope it helps somewhat!
I agree with you to some extent on the ATYCLB remixes, though I don't think I could part with that trippy Elevation 'Influx mix'. It's got that far out Middle Eastern thing going on (almost Indian influenced), and it brings back memories of the intro the Elevation Tour. It's a really cool remix. What would you call it? Trance Jungle slowed down or something?

Michael Griffiths said:

I agree with you to some extent on the ATYCLB remixes, though I don't think I could part with that trippy Elevation 'Influx mix'. It's got that far out Middle Eastern thing going on (almost Indian influenced), and it brings back memories of the intro the Elevation Tour. It's a really cool remix. What would you call it? Trance Jungle slowed down or something?

LOL...actually, you're probably right...the more I listen to it, the better it gets!...It does bring back memories of the last tour, although I seem to expect it to go live about 50 seconds in...

I think it's just that I've never been a huge fan of remixes in general, so I guess I'm a bit partial to the actual band tracks.

How bout some live versions?

U2 & Sting- Invisible Sun
U2 & Bruce Springsteen- Stand by Me
U2 & Bob Dylan- Knockin on Heavens Door
U2- She's a Mystery to Me

The best version of "Walk On," if you ask me, is the performance from the "America: Tribute To Heroes" telethon.

typhoon said:
The best version of "Walk On," if you ask me, is the performance from the "America: Tribute To Heroes" telethon.
That may be true, but I've got that version on a different compilation already! I was just listening to ATYCLB today (what a great album), and I couldn't believe how well produced the album version of 'Walk On' is. I'm so glad it won record of the year, as it totally deserved to. I think Bono's vocal on the album version is so spot on. Really harkens back to The Joshua Tree in some ways. I find the Nigel Godrich mix good in some ways (I love the piano at the beginning), but in other ways it's too sparse, almost too cold for the type of song that 'Walk On' is. Godrich is good at "sparse" and "cold" (see Radiohead), but the material has to be wanting that sort of production in order to come off right (again, see Radiohead).

I find Godrich's work to be very compartmentalized - you can literally hear every part of the song, all separated layer by layer. Much of Pop was actually produced that way thanks to Flood, and it works there. I think that may be one reason why so many U2 fans didn't warm up to Pop - it was sonically different than other U2 albums: U2 usually has this big, muddy sound - just listen to Achtung Baby and you'll know what I mean. There's so much going on, and it's kind of mashed together to create this really fat, beautiful noise of melody and emotion. 'Mofo' was one such exception on Pop that actually used this type of production (the one most people are used to), and which is why I feel so many U2 fans love that song - it is just sooo muddy. For the most part, however, the rest of the album is prestine clean sounding. Just listen to 'Gone' or 'Staring At The Sun'. You can make out all the details. 'Gone' is one of those songs that really benefited from Flood's streamlined production. But there again, it is totally different than 'Walk On'.

Tangent over!

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Need Some Quick Advice On Which U2 Rarities I Should Get For My Compilation...

Michael Griffiths said:
Which Boomerang is better?
boomerang one!!! don't let anyone tell you anything different. :grumpy:

it's groovy, it could fit on UF. it's instrumental and has an awesome synth and bass/drum beat! :D :drool:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need Some Quick Advice On Which U2 Rarities I Should Get For My Compilation...

KhanadaRhodes said:

boomerang one!!! don't let anyone tell you anything different. :grumpy:

it's groovy, it could fit on UF. it's instrumental and has an awesome synth and bass/drum beat! :D :drool:
hahahaha!! That's so funny for some reason! I promise, I won't let anyone tell me different. Thanks for advice!:)

Back
Top Bottom