Native Son yo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozeeko

Refugee
This song rewards with repeated listens. It really is a deep, powerful song. The way Bono delivers this line: "I did not take his life"...so bloody awesome! I could've seen that being a shout-out line during performances. And the chorus, the words just cut through you. "Officer Put Down The Gun". I think the way words sound are just as important as what they mean. "Both of us want to be someone"...i think that's a eally devastating line, to me anyway. It's like that movie "Heat." He's empathizing with both the good and bad guy. And realizing they're not much different and probably don't hate eachother, but they must conform to the roles society handed them. This is a great song that shouldn't have gotten shelved. It didn't have to be a single, I would've kept it for somewhere in the middle of the album, maybe one of the last tracks. Thought-provoking, adrenaline-rushing, and everything to me that Vertigo is not.

I agree - completely wipes the world with Vertigo. Don't get me wrong, I loved the new sound of Vertigo when it was released but you're definately right about the lyrics and structure of Native Son - far superior, why did they shelve it for Unos Dos???

Really? I always thought Native Son sounded like Vertigo's ugly sister. :shrug:

Anyway, if they didn't shelve it, we'd have a bunch of people coming in here saying, "Oh, so Bone-O thinks he's an american indian now?"

Edit: I don't think U2 should disguard songs for that reason alone, but it would be annoying for interferencers if nothing else.

vertigos lyrics are pretty deep if you dig enough, from what i understand the song is about being at a place you dont want to be in your life, and the despair you face "its everything i wish i didnt know"

I'm a fan of native son, but they were right to change it to vertigo - much better.

(though i like the freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee in native son which could have gone into vertigo)

to me i think they took the easy way out going with vertigo. since they wanted a single out of that riff and music, they made the wise decision, but in a perfect world i'd rather have native son. it would most likely be controversial, but so be it- rock and controversy have gone hand in hand since it's early beginnings. i wouldn't release native son as a single. i'd just have it be on the album as an important meaningful track. Fast Cars could've been a single. It would've turned some heads for sure.

I don't totally dislike Vertigo. I think it's an okay song. The lyrics are alright, kinda deep, but too many forced Bonoisms: "how to kneeeel" There's a couple lines that stick out "girl with crimson nails, with jesus around her neck" is a strange cool line. The middle 8 "give me what i want and no one gets hurt" I could do without. Seems like Bono's trying to cop a punk attitude but it feels totally out of place with the rest of the song. The whole Vertigo metaphor with falling into sin or whatever you wanna call it is cool. I would've kept that initial lyrical idea and used it with a different, more ominous sounding song.

Native son is very awkward. The lyrics are awkward and it just doesn't come together for me.

Vertigo on the other hand is fun, it flows nicely, and I think overall it is better than Native Son about 5 times over. Native son is good, it just seems a step below to me.

Musically, I think Vertigo is sharper. Words may not be as deep, but easier to sing along to. Better as the first single from a CD. Both are EXCEllENT though. :wink:

Edit: (Just read this back to myself. Sounds like a Dick Clark interview... :Needs caffiene:)

Last edited:
I much prefer the lyrics to Vertigo. I was walking down the street and had the song in my head and after reading about the 'story behind them' the lyrics just jumped out and I realised they suddenly fit perfectly and everything actually MEANT something and you could tell he'd actually THOUGHT about what he was writing!...so I started grinning a rather stupid grin on my way home! :wink:

Last edited:
In my opinion, Native Son is far superior. If they would have released NS as the first single, it would be an authentic U2 song:
- Strong music
- Strong lyrics
- Political message

The latter 2 seem to be missing in Vertigo...

Both are good. Native Son should at least have been a B-side (and finished).

ozeeko said:
to me i think they took the easy way out going with vertigo. since they wanted a single out of that riff and music, they made the wise decision, but in a perfect world i'd rather have native son. it would most likely be controversial, but so be it- rock and controversy have gone hand in hand since it's early beginnings. i wouldn't release native son as a single. i'd just have it be on the album as an important meaningful track. Fast Cars could've been a single. It would've turned some heads for sure.

I don't totally dislike Vertigo. I think it's an okay song. The lyrics are alright, kinda deep, but too many forced Bonoisms: "how to kneeeel" There's a couple lines that stick out "girl with crimson nails, with jesus around her neck" is a strange cool line. The middle 8 "give me what i want and no one gets hurt" I could do without. Seems like Bono's trying to cop a punk attitude but it feels totally out of place with the rest of the song. The whole Vertigo metaphor with falling into sin or whatever you wanna call it is cool. I would've kept that initial lyrical idea and used it with a different, more ominous sounding song.

Wow... I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with every word in that post! :shifty:

I like the more pronounced riff of Vertigo but Native Son is superior in almost every other aspect imo. Better lyrics overall, much better bridge, no goofy words thrown about, much better ending and so on.

Then again, I don't like how this verse sounds..

Don't want to run away
This isn't in my father's plans
I know I can't stay
If I stay I know what's next

WTF :huh:

Back
Top Bottom