"Narration by Adam Clayton..." Appreciation!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I love Your Blue Room, especially Adam's narration! He's got a great voice, pity he doesn't narrate much.

Zooming in,
Zooming out,
Nothing I can do without,
A lens to see it all up close,
Magnifying what everyone knows,
Never in company,
Never alone,
No car alarm, no cellular phone

:drool: :drool:

:adam:

Who else loves this part?

jonnytakeawalk said:
Good stuff! :up:

Does anyone know if they've ever sung this song live? It would be great to actually see Adam singing on stage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap6WKVdIbLI&search=U2 summer

Watch during "A Celebration."

I've found a few more early performances with Adam clearly singing, in one he goes over to Edge's side and sings into Edge's mic. I'd post the links but then this would get merged with the mega-youtube thread. ;)

Last edited:
jonnytakeawalk said:
Does anyone know if they've ever sung this song live? It would be great to actually see Adam singing on stage

Your Blue Room has never been performed live - the only song from Passengers to get a live airing is Miss Sarajevo.

However, Adam has sung backing before. The entire band would sing during Two Hearts Beat As One, and I once took a screenshot from a ZooTV bootleg DVD of Adam singing backing vocals during Bullet The Blue Sky.

I was there when adam sang...well, sort of sang. He used to do the "SKY" bit on Bullet during some of the Joshua tree tour. Far better than bono if ya ask me (making swift exit!!)

COBL_04 said:

Zooming in,
Zooming out,
Never in company,
Never alone,

great lyrics....need some of these on the next record.

Axver said:

Your Blue Room has never been performed live - the only song from Passengers to get a live airing is Miss Sarajevo.

However, Adam has sung backing before. The entire band would sing during Two Hearts Beat As One, and I once took a screenshot from a ZooTV bootleg DVD of Adam singing backing vocals during Bullet The Blue Sky.

from U2faqs.com:

25. Do Adam and Larry ever sing on any U2 songs?

Larry is listed as a backup singer on "Numb" and does the I feel numb part that repeats throughout the song. He can also be heard singing on some old Joshua Tree Tour and Zoo TV bootlegs. On those tours he occasionally sang some traditional Irish songs during a few shows.

As for Adam, they used to put a mic in front of him during live shows many years ago, but it was never plugged in. Adam does recite the final verse of "Your Blue Room" from the Passengers: OS1 album:

Zooming in,
Zooming out,
Never in company,
Never alone,

You can also hear Adam on Rattle and Hum where he can be heard saying "Oh, I don't know..." in response to an interview bit at the end of "Van Diemen's Land." Prior to that, Adam can be heard on the B-sides "Boomerang II" (1984) and "Endless Deep" (1983). [M2, IR]

I believe the correct lyrics are as follows:

"a lens to see THE WORLD up close
magnifying what HEAVEN knows"

I am pretty sure that is correct. It is much more poetic and beautiful this way anyway.

This is really one of the great all-time U2 moments and its Adam who does it. How cool.

And on a related note, It is absolute magic the way Edge's guitar weeps during Adams bit and as song fades out. Unfortunately, U2 doesn't make songs this powerful anymore.

Last edited:
Axver said:

wanna post it?

buddy...:wink:

PDVD_000.jpg

PDVD_001.jpg

PDVD_002.jpg

PDVD_003.jpg

Last edited:
And there's more , from the RH outtakes , during One Tree Hill :

u21987-RH-2.jpg

u21987-RH.jpg

u21987-RH.jpg

From U2FAQs.com
As for Adam, they used to put a mic in front of him during live shows many years ago, but it was never plugged in.

I think that's wrong. I'm pretty damn sure that mic was plugged in, at least on some dates. Maybe just not turned up loud, like Bono's guitar. :wink:

The "mic not plugged in" story seems like just another "Bono's guitar is unplugged" kind of myth.

Axver said:

I think that's wrong. I'm pretty damn sure that mic was plugged in, at least on some dates. Maybe just not turned up loud, like Bono's guitar. :wink:

The "mic not plugged in" story seems like just another "Bono's guitar is unplugged" kind of myth.

Neither one would be much of a bad thing :wink:

Hoodlem said:

This is really one of the great all-time U2 moments and its Adam who does it. How cool.

And on a related note, It is absolute magic the way Edge's guitar weeps during Adams bit and as song fades out. Unfortunately, U2 doesn't make songs this powerful anymore.

My sentiments exactly. the way the song just subtly moves from beautiful vocals, to sweeping guitar to Adam's vocal is pure magic.

Best song on Passengers by a mile in my eyes.

ost1 IS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL ALBUM AND YOUR BLUE ROOM IS PERFECT. Adam's posh english accent sounds wonderful!

The "Zooming in, Zooming out" part always reminds me of the Hubble Telescope.

I love the song. I still think it's U2's most Pink Floyd-sounding creation, but nobody believes me :sad:

angelordevil said:
The "Zooming in, Zooming out" part always reminds me of the Hubble Telescope.

I could see that, especially with the album art being an image associated with the song. That and the thought of Blue Rooms...:huh:

COBL_04 said:
I love Your Blue Room, especially Adam's narration! He's got a great voice, pity he doesn't narrate much.

Zooming in,
Zooming out,
Never in company,
Never alone,

:drool: :drool:

:adam:

Who else loves this part?

That would be me!:wave: