Name U2's Biggest Weakness/Strength

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thrillme said:

Adam and Larry took lessons just after the ZooTV tour.

Listen to the Pop album.

His bass teacher really pushed him giving him difficult exercises, and he was said to get them down perfectly, so it's hard to say what Adam can really do on the bass, I think he's like Edge, in that he's not gonna do "olympics" on the bass.

Think you have to compare a bass player within the context of the band they're in, not to other bass players.

Flea plays differently, because the Chili Peppers play different style of rock, has a bit more, not sure the right term, "funk" maybe, in their early work.

For the most part, Adam is said to be a solid player, plays what is right for the song, though he does a few adlibs on live songs, but nothing really flashy. Has a good idea of what the bass is for. <--what I read from a bass players message board.

I really don't know how good a drummer Larry is, or how to even evaluate that, but some drumming magazines say he does have a unique approach to drumming.

They definitely went for lessons after Pop as well, maybe after ZooTV but definitely after Pop.

Anyway Pop, is that a good album is it?

(it's one of my favourites!)

Strengths: Ability to write popular music in many genres that wide ranges of people associate with. In general The Edge.

Weaknesses: There inability to objectively analyze their own music.... which is the cause of nearly all their problems I think.

Strenght: They have too many damn good songs

Strenght: They are god playing live

(forget the weakness)

Palace_Hero said:
Weakness: Adam

Strength: Bono, The Edge and Larry.

Yeah, I suppose the guy who's ultimately responsible for getting U2 noticed by recording companies is really their weakness.

Come on, try harder. You know better.

Strength 1: Their music: The passion, the emotion. It's not just a rock band, they have SOUL. It touches me, deeply. Both lyrically an musically. The lyrics are so strong and meaningful, it reallly adds something and it makes a difference. This distinguish them from other big rock bands, like The Rolling Stones.
Strength 2: The way they reinvented themselves at different timepoints. Especially the transition from the Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby. To change completely your direction, but still sound like U2, and with the same heart and soul. That's amazing! Again I can't give an example of another band doing the same thing (not even Radiohead).
Strength 3: Of course, their live performances!!! Maybe Clayton i not the better than Flea, as said before. But have you ever been to a Red Hot hili Peppers concert? I hope not. Then you'll see the difference between just a rock band and the biggest band in the world!!!

Weakness 1: I have to say their videoclips are often weak. They made some commercial decisions, like the Stuck in a moment Us version and the elevation Tomb Raider version. they are really bad taste. (exception: The POP-videos rocked IMO)
Weakness 2: The Best Of 1990-2000

Last edited:
Windmilllane said:
Weakness No. 2: Edge's bald head.

Nothing is wrong with Edge's head...Something is wrong with you for saying such an awful thing:madspit:

Axver said:

Yeah, I suppose the guy who's ultimately responsible for getting U2 noticed by recording companies is really their weakness.

Come on, try harder. You know better.

How did Adam get the band noticed by Record Company execs? Was it his looks, or his musicality?

starvinmarvin said:

How did Adam get the band noticed by Record Company execs? Was it his looks, or his musicality?

Low blow there. Even if it wasn't Adam.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

U2's weakness is Adam huh?

"Adam literally got me by the scruff of the neck and roped me into U2. I didn't really want to be in a band. I was only into it for the sake of the sound of electric guitar, drums, bass and singing. So when he started talking about actually playing gigs I thought,'What, y' mean playing gigs in front of other people?' The thought had never dawned on me. But Adam believed in the band before anyone did - he'd made up his mind at 15 or 16 that rock 'n' roll was what he was going to do. -Bono

Fairly documented that Adam put in a lot of non-musical, but important groundwork for U2, back when they were The Hype and Feedback.

NME, Bill Flanagan's book, Eamon Dunphy's biography.

Adam's the one who booked their early gigs, talked to people already established in the music work, seeking advice. Promotional work for the Hype and Feedback, he was their first manager so that was what he did.

Willie Williams said the open space of the heart from the Elevation tour, was Adam's idea. They were going with a heart shaped stage, Adam suggested taking the middle part out.

For those who enjoyed that from the Elevation tour, or the ellipse as it is for the Vertigo tour.

I've read about fans meeting Adam, all the ones I've read, saying how nice he is. U2 are very grounded people.

I guess getting U2 noticed, getting their name out there, basically pushing to get U2 off the ground (pun not intended) means nothing.

He did go back and take a year of bass lessons, so he obviously wanted to improve himself.

Sure I'd love to see Adam cut loose and show just what he really can do on the bass, at least something so people will stop ragging on him as a bassist.

Even Edge won't go off and do 10 minute guitar solo, when he so easily could. If anyone's gonna show off, it would be the lead guitarist.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Strength: the ability to connect

Weakness: too self conscious at times.

They can connect like no other for sure!
and "Weakness: too self conscious at times"
This is really so true! I think they think they lose faith in their songs on the albums way too much! They get beat up way too much if a single or track at the concert doesn't do to well first time and then they start fiddling with setlists or remixing the god damn things!

timothius said:

Weaknesses: There inability to objectively analyze their own music.... which is the cause of nearly all their problems I think.

What do you mean, timothius? I thought it was a group of U2 fans on this board that weren't capable of analyzing U2 objectively. They certainly do exist here. :wink:

thrillme said:

Low blow there. Even if it wasn't Adam.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

U2's weakness is Adam huh?

"Adam literally got me by the scruff of the neck and roped me into U2. I didn't really want to be in a band. I was only into it for the sake of the sound of electric guitar, drums, bass and singing. So when he started talking about actually playing gigs I thought,'What, y' mean playing gigs in front of other people?' The thought had never dawned on me. But Adam believed in the band before anyone did - he'd made up his mind at 15 or 16 that rock 'n' roll was what he was going to do. -Bono

Fairly documented that Adam put in a lot of non-musical, but important groundwork for U2, back when they were The Hype and Feedback.

NME, Bill Flanagan's book, Eamon Dunphy's biography.

Adam's the one who booked their early gigs, talked to people already established in the music work, seeking advice. Promotional work for the Hype and Feedback, he was their first manager so that was what he did.

Willie Williams said the open space of the heart from the Elevation tour, was Adam's idea. They were going with a heart shaped stage, Adam suggested taking the middle part out.

For those who enjoyed that from the Elevation tour, or the ellipse as it is for the Vertigo tour.

I've read about fans meeting Adam, all the ones I've read, saying how nice he is. U2 are very grounded people.

I guess getting U2 noticed, getting their name out there, basically pushing to get U2 off the ground (pun not intended) means nothing.

He did go back and take a year of bass lessons, so he obviously wanted to improve himself.

Sure I'd love to see Adam cut loose and show just what he really can do on the bass, at least something so people will stop ragging on him as a bassist.

Even Edge won't go off and do 10 minute guitar solo, when he so easily could. If anyone's gonna show off, it would be the lead guitarist.
Thank you for that post!!!:wave: I had no idea it was Adam's idea for the ellispe!!:ohmy: AWESOME:up: I too would love to see Adam cut loose and show off a little bit:( I guess that just is not his style:shrug:

They were looking through with the drawings of the Popmart tour and then Adam drew the "arch" as if it fell down to the ground from it's vertical position. And from that they got the idea of the heart. Atleast thats what I heard.

To me, U2's greatest strength is also their greatest weakness: perfectionism.

U2's desire to create "perfect" songs and albums has led to some of the best rock music ever created. We've heard brilliant lyrics and vocals, exquisite guitar work and inspiration rhythms. Their perfectionist tendencies have also created magnificent tours, from the grandiose to the intimate.

But this same perfectionism has also caused their albums to be far and few between, from 1984 to present (with 3-4 years between most full studio albums). Their perfectionist side has also created a more static set-list as U2 have tried to create the perfect combination of their songs. And once in a while, U2's perfectionism has caused them to be a tad more rigid than I hoped.

But even with that weakness, I feel their overall perfectionist streak is worthwhile. :yes:

Palace_Hero said:

Of course you'd find that funny. :rolleyes:

Adam haters baffle me. :huh: At least at non-U2 sites, you're not surprised if members of U2 are bashed.

Both Bono and Edge have said it was Adam who pushed the band to really go for it. Larry actually asked Adam to be in the band, went up to him and personally asked him to join.

You may like that Adam is in the band nor appreciate him one bit, but I'm guessing the man whom Adam stood in front of when there was a real death threat against him, appreciates him a lot.

Would you have taken a bullet for Bono?

I mean, honestly, cos Adam would have, stood right in front of him.

Judging by the book U2: A Conspiracy of Hope, Adam was one of the most gifted, right from the start. Bono got it wrong from time to time, and the rythmn unit didn't work well together. But by the time they had signed their Island deal, they all really connected with each other. It would have been harder to connect because they didn't know each other at the start.

Biggest Strength - Their live shows and powerful songs with lyrics that actually mean something (ie the genre 'pop' has songs where lyrics mean nothing (except i love you) or they are so bleeding obvious it's not funny). Take Lemon for example. I haven't heard it, but the line 'a man burns the sands to see the world outside' is extremely clever.

Biggest Weakness - They do have a bit of a tendecncy to throw people off with what they do/have done. Also, the perfectionism thing annoys me a little because it means we have to wait longer for an album that in their opinon would be better. Take Pop. Most people here love Pop, but U2 (apparently) don't.

Another weakness - Ignoring their biggest fanbase - Australia!!! :D

U2Man said:

What do you mean, timothius?

I'll use an example... HTDAAB being the most recent.

All the hype coming out of their mouths was "Edge is in love with the guitar", "biggest motherfucking riff ever" etc etc etc. Either they falt out lied or honestly believed there work was this absolute helter skelter rock album... take out three tracks and it is tame soft rock. They totally underanalyzed the whole album. Thats one of many, their setlists, their single selection, the way they talk about Pop, the recording & rerecording of albums that result in 4 years between albums... they are all examples of either overanalyzing their work to a point where they are a bit blinded.

Bono is the worst, but Edge is guilty of it also.

thrillme said:

Of course you'd find that funny. :rolleyes:

Adam haters baffle me. :huh: At least at non-U2 sites, you're not surprised if members of U2 are bashed.

Both Bono and Edge have said it was Adam who pushed the band to really go for it. Larry actually asked Adam to be in the band, went up to him and personally asked him to join.

You may like that Adam is in the band nor appreciate him one bit, but I'm guessing the man whom Adam stood in front of when there was a real death threat against him, appreciates him a lot.

Would you have taken a bullet for Bono?

I mean, honestly, cos Adam would have, stood right in front of him.

Quiet you.

I don't hate Adam, so don't imagine I do. And no I wouldn't take a bullet for Bono, I don't know the man!

Strength: Their passion, first and foremost. For their music, thier fans, thier friendships etc.

Weakness: I have to agree with something already stated. They are very self consious as a band. I don't think there are many comparisons in other bands in how tightly they control their image, even with an occasional flub. They are unreal.

Back
Top Bottom