Name the U2 songs you have not heard in a long time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't heard The Playboy Mansion or Red Light in ages, because I just never liked them so I always skip them.
I wonder if I should try them again.

This will sound a bit :coocoo: but I listened to all of ATYCLB yesterday and I found that I really like this album more than I thought I did.

GibsonGirl said:
Great album, very underrated.

HELL YES. October is seriously in my top four U2 albums these days. I played it and Boy, my former #4, back to back last week and realised just how better October really is, especially in terms of Adam and Larry. Larry has never dominated an album so much since, nor has he played with such vigour and creativity (though he comes close on War).

COBL_04 said:
:sigh: Some people just never come around...

And you realised post-RAH includes Passengers? :wink:

Yeah, some people never do. I was once a sufferer of this condition that causes people to think Achtung and ATYCLB are good albums, but I came around to the error of my ways sometime around late 2005/early 2006 and found music I enjoy more. :wink:

And yes, I did realise that I forgot to add "excluding Passengers" just after I made the post but couldn't be arsed to edit as I can't be bothered with the arguments that seem to develop every time Passengers is mentioned. It seems to be just as divisive a topic as Pop vs ATYCLB nowadays!

I have listened to a lot of live stuff recently and not so much their albums, but I think it's great to return to certain songs or albums after you haven't listened to them for some time.

Sometimes I really need some time away from certain songs in order to appreciate them even more when I go back to them.

Then I often find that I like this stuff much more than I actually felt I would. It also depends on how I am feeling.

I also really try to listen to things that I don't like that much and most of the time these feelings change. With U2, there really isn't anything I don't like at all, so I listen to all of it and give every song a chance, even those who are more difficualt for me to approach.

I feel I should return to listen to some of their very early stuff, which I haven't done in quite some time (except some live recordings/bootlegs), but I need to be in a special mood for that.

Screwtape2 said:

Go listen to ALL of the Joshua Tree b-sides. :love:

The JT b-sides by themselves make a better album than most bands could ever hope to release.

In 1986-89, U2 seriously could have put out about four albums of top quality material.

Axver said:

The JT b-sides by themselves make a better album than most bands could ever hope to release.

In 1986-89, U2 seriously could have put out about four albums of top quality material.

Honestly, I think an album of those b-sides would have been better than The Joshua Tree. Deep In The Heart, Walk To The Water and Luminous Times are as good if not better than anything on the Joshua Tree. The b-sides with Red Hill Mining Town, Exit, WOWY and One Tree Hill would have made a near perfect album.

Screwtape2 said:

Honestly, I think an album of those b-sides would have been better than The Joshua Tree. Deep In The Heart, Walk To The Water and Luminous Times are as good if not better than anything on the Joshua Tree. The b-sides with Red Hill Mining Town, Exit, WOWY and One Tree Hill would have made a near perfect album.

Hmm. Replace Deep In The Heart with Spanish Eyes and WOWY with Streets, and add Mothers Of The Disappeared so that the OTH/Exit/MOTD Suite Of Death remains intact and I'd agree with you.

I've never understood why Spanish Eyes didn't make JT. It would have been a far better choice than TTYW, and it would have been a really big hit too. It's the best #1 single that U2 never released.

Axver said:

I've never understood why Spanish Eyes didn't make JT. It would have been a far better choice than TTYW, and it would have been a really big hit too. It's the best #1 single that U2 never released.

I never understood that either. How Trip made it and Spanish Eyes didn't is beyond me. It was a great live song and would have been perfect between In God's Country and One Tree Hill. It would have had the success that Desire did only a few years later.

Screwtape2 said:

I never understood that either. How Trip made it and Spanish Eyes didn't is beyond me. It was a great live song and would have been perfect between In God's Country and One Tree Hill. It would have had the success that Desire did only a few years later.

I also agree with this. Spanish Eyes WOW what a great song! Was Heartland around during the initial JT recordings? I just heard that song today on a College Radio Station from Vermont of all places, someone requested it in fact!!!

I change my initial post:

HEARTLAND is a song I haven't heard in such a long time and it always resided in my top 20.

YBORCITYOBL said:
Was Heartland around during the initial JT recordings?

Yes, and was originally slated to be on the album. Like Screwtape said, it was taken off for thematic reasons: Bono felt the album was too serious and he wanted to bring in a lighter song - bizarrely TTYW rather than Spanish Eyes.

Turns out this was a good thing for us Heartland appreciators, as the version on Rattle And Hum is more polished and better than what would have ended up on JT.

Axver said:

I've never, ever been able to see what is so good about Spanish Eyes. I've just never liked it :shrug:

COBL_04 said:

I've never, ever been able to see what is so good about Spanish Eyes. I've just never liked it :shrug:

Let's see ...

1. Edge's trademark guitar style played perfectly? Check.
2. Great, passionate singing by Bono? Check.
3. Adam laying an unimpressive but useful foundation? Check?
4. Larry shit as per usual? Check.

Yeah, it's a great U2 song.

Axver said:

Yes, and was originally slated to be on the album. Like Screwtape said, it was taken off for thematic reasons: Bono felt the album was too serious and he wanted to bring in a lighter song - bizarrely TTYW rather than Spanish Eyes.

Turns out this was a good thing for us Heartland appreciators, as the version on Rattle And Hum is more polished and better than what would have ended up on JT.

TJT is such a great album, but IMHO TTYW is by far the weakest song on this record.

After reading this Forum I listened to October from front to back last night and this album is so under apreciated here, even by me!!!

YBORCITYOBL said:
TJT is such a great album, but IMHO TTYW is by far the weakest song on this record.

I like TTYW. I haven't listened to it in awhile; I think I will now ...

(returns to lurking through your thread)

Back
Top Bottom