Mysterious ways slane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NShaik

The Fly
hiya. I have a question about the new Slane DVD. I noticed that Mysterious Ways isn't included on the DVD, but it was a staple of the tour. Also, like the Boston DVD, it has only 19 songs, whereas on average they played about 21-22 songs each night. Was it an unusually short concert, or r they making the mistake again of withholding perfectly good footage of the band we love?

They probably didn't include it on Slane or Boston because MW was on both the Zoo Sydney and PopMart Mexico City videos. They probably didn't want to release the same songs four times.

and One, Pride, New Year's Day, With or without you, Where the Streets have no name, I will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday... imagine if they left of them off! lol

Mysterious Ways wasnt included because I believe Bono brought his daughter Eve up on Stage and she danced during the song.

I would bet Bono wants to try to keep his family's privacy, so thats my guess on why it wasnt included.

NShaik said:
and One, Pride, New Year's Day, With or without you, Where the Streets have no name, I will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday... imagine if they left of them off! lol

Well, to be fair, One, Pride and New Year's Day weren't on the Boston DVD. I Will Follow isn't on the Slane DVD, and Sunday Bloody Sunday, the full-band version, wasn't on Popmart.

StlElevation said:
Mysterious Ways wasnt included because I believe Bono brought his daughter Eve up on Stage and she danced during the song.

I would bet Bono wants to try to keep his family's privacy, so thats my guess on why it wasnt included.

That makes a little bit of sense, but what about the 80,000 or whatever people who were at Slane and saw her dancing live? Did he ask them to cover their eyes when he brought her up on stage?

oh yeah... I 4got about that. Well I can understand y he wants 2 protect his daughter - and it seems like the kind of unique moment that shud be kept special for the people lucky enuf 2 see it

Yeah well without sounding too ungrateful I must admit to being disappointed at the news that we'll have to wait still longer for a full official live release. That said I'm of course thrilled to see another release from the Elevation tour

And I'll definitly still buy it though (or have it bought for me maybe - it's two days before my birthday) :)

Last edited:
does anybody else think that U2 should maybe go down the road of a DVD/Video release of various songs performed at various venues throughout the tour??

Another favourite band of mine, Pearl Jam, released a DVD a few years back called Touring Band which featured a great setlist of songs from various places and the versions shown are great ones.

U2 tape all their shows as well and it would be great to see different songs from different venues that captured different emotions and were nailed on in certain places. Some might not like that format but if done well its great.

Still looking forward to the Slane release though. Seems an age since I had the chance to get any "new" U2!!!

WASTID said:
does anybody else think that U2 should maybe go down the road of a DVD/Video release of various songs performed at various venues throughout the tour??

Nah, because DVD/Video is so "produced" and fake sometimes. There's plenty of audio and video bootlegs to go around.

NShaik, the believe the Boston DVD is also missing Mysterious Ways as well as In My Life (I think it's that one), People Get Ready, and One.

I have to agree with NOT including MW on the Slane DVD considering Eve's participation. If you really want to see it, you can download the bootlegged video of the entire concert.

StlElevation said:

No, that didn't happen.

I just phoned my Dad

He doesnt remember it either - he also suggested it happened at the first one - we were standing at the front - then I asked my other friend who was standing right at the front and he said he doesnt remember it either!

Clearly this happened....... I dont know what we were doing at the time though - i did cut my foot at one point though and had to sit down and put a plaster on it maybe it happened then

:huh:

Last edited:
We have all gone mad - its all the drinking us Irish do - killed my brain cells......

:uhoh:

I was thinking that maybe MW isn't being included because Bono, at least at Slane 1, sang parts of Sexual Healing and maybe the band couldn't get the sign off from Motown and Marvin Gaye's estate to use that song on the DVD. A similar thing happened on Red Rocks with the band not being allowed to use portions of Send in the Clowns. Anyway, just a theory.

dsmith2904 said:
I was thinking that maybe MW isn't being included because Bono, at least at Slane 1, sang parts of Sexual Healing and maybe the band couldn't get the sign off from Motown and Marvin Gaye's estate to use that song on the DVD. A similar thing happened on Red Rocks with the band not being allowed to use portions of Send in the Clowns. Anyway, just a theory.

Doubdtful, it wouldn't take much to get permission. The mistake they made with Red Rocks was that they didnt ask for permission before they released it. U2 included lines from Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy For the Devil by the Stones on Bad as well lines from Gloria on Exit for Rattle and Hum. So its obviously not a huge deal.

I would say it has something to do with his daughter being pulled up. It also depends on what type of resolution. I dont know the technical terms but the production company for the Boston DVD indicated they did not include the full Boston show because of the type of resolution or quality U2 wanted in the picture or sound, the whole show would not fit on one disc under U2's requirements. So its possible this could be the same situation.

Last edited:
Lara Mullen said:
I was there

Why don't I remember this???

THAT is hillarious!!!

It was most definitely the second Slane concert. I've seen it on SVCD, Eve dancing and all....

eve.jpg

eve2.jpg

ThatGuy said:

Well, to be fair, One, Pride and New Year's Day weren't on the Boston DVD. I Will Follow isn't on the Slane DVD, and Sunday Bloody Sunday, the full-band version, wasn't on Popmart.

They never played a full band SBS during Popmart.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

They never played a full band SBS during Popmart.

Cheers,

J

I know, J. It was a discussion about what songs were on the last few official video releases.

wow, that picture of his daughter...the black and white, the hair pulled back...uncanny resemblence to a certain guy in the With or Without You video?

or is it just me?

it's not just you... she does look like bono, if bono was 12 and a girl. go figure, they must be related or somethin'

i don't know why they left it off... maybe it's the daughter thing, maybe it's not wanting to pay royalties to motown for using sexuall healing... maybe they just thought the version was crap. who knows

what u2 really needs to do is take a look at the success that pearl jam and the dead have had with their releasing CDs from every show... now that would truely rock (although, setlists from u2 shows tend to be very similar, so it might not be worth it).

Blue Room said:

I dont know the technical terms but the production company for the Boston DVD indicated they did not include the full Boston show because of the type of resolution or quality U2 wanted in the picture or sound, the whole show would not fit on one disc under U2's requirements. So its possible this could be the same situation.

I don't think that's true as they managed to include a 20 minute MAKING OF on the same disc!

JTH

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

I don't think that's true as they managed to include a 20 minute MAKING OF on the same disc!

JTH

Exactly - so they ran out of space for all of the songs. I'd rather watch the Making Of than Mysterious Ways, but a "complete" concert would've been nice as well.

Back
Top Bottom