Mysterious Ways never sounded better than on the Vertigo Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
I think Mysterious Ways on the Vertigo Tour has been some of the best preformances of the song ever. I have never realy loved the song till I started hearing bootlegs from the Vertigo shows. I havent heard a bad preformance yet. Love the drawn out guitar parts and the way the song changes a little each night with Bono's scat vocals and the she will moooooooooove you parts. Bono has never sang the song as well as he is doing now. He realy hits those "moooove you's". This tour realy revived this song for me.

i love vertigo versions aswell, mainly bootlegs, the version on chicago dvd doesnt do it full justice, but i also like the version off the Slane Castle 2001 dvd, the extra on the end, its an awesome version!

vetigo version is probably the best since zootv, but zootv version is still king

i wouldnt mind seeing this song take a rest on the next tour

I feel such a let down any more when Edge starts playing the solo at the end and Bono doesn't burst into falsetto. It's still good, but it was soooo much better from ZooTV.

I think the versions of other AB songs like UTEOW and The Fly were much better than Mysterious Ways on Vertigo. MW wasn't bad, but it didn't blow me away. I agree that this one could go away for awhile.

I actually love the sau paulo version, where edge playes a bit of his guitar late, and it ends up in the bridge, i think that sounds amazing IMO

I consider myself one of the (few?) great advocates of this song. Definitely one of my Top3 U2 songs.

For me, ZOO TV easily crushes all other versions. I confess to not being hugely familiar with the performances on the Elevation Tour, but if Slane is anything to go by, it takes No. 2 spot. Following that we have Vertigo and finally Popmart.

I just wasn't loving the "vibe" of the tune on Vertigo. Bono's shouting (skinny white boy etc) just didn't do it for me.

I agree much to my pain that it could use a rest (And maybe a re-arrangement on its occasional return). For me it was the weakest of the AB material played (minus One).

Out: Mysterious Ways
In: Do You Feel Loved (or Salome )

thelaj said:
I consider myself one of the (few?) great advocates of this song. Definitely one of my Top3 U2 songs.

For me, ZOO TV easily crushes all other versions. I confess to not being hugely familiar with the performances on the Elevation Tour, but if Slane is anything to go by, it takes No. 2 spot. Following that we have Vertigo and finally Popmart.

I just wasn't loving the "vibe" of the tune on Vertigo. Bono's shouting (skinny white boy etc) just didn't do it for me.

I agree much to my pain that it could use a rest (And maybe a re-arrangement on its occasional return). For me it was the weakest of the AB material played (minus One).

i dunno, the whole mysterious ways/with or without you with the transmission and love will tear us apart snippets, knocked me out at manc 1, amazing stuff

Well, the Vertigo version did sound great - especially, when Bono did the "My Sweet Lord" snippet stretching the song a bit longer. But to be honest, there were also really rocking version in '01 and of course then, when "Mysterious Ways" was at its best, during the '92/'93 ZOO TV heydays. Great, crystal clear guitar solo, great vocals including falsetto and the belly dancer - wow!

The guitar sounded the closest to the album version, but I loved the ZooTV, Popmart and Elevation versions more.
ZooTV is the best version of course. Elevation had this very cool intro and Popmart one was the funkiest.

The thing I really miss is Larry's tribal drumming during the bridge, which got lost after the Popmart tour. And falsetto Bono. :drool:

now that i think about it i definitely preferred the Elevation version more :hmm:, the Irving Plaza version was great as well

The worst version has to be Popmart though

thelaj said:

It's my second favorite behind Zooropa. :happy: (You're looking at a full-fledged MW connoisseur, with tons of remixes and all that crap)

Or both...or all three! :combust: Put the kids to bed before they hear those three all in a row...:drool: :wink:

Slane Castle with Bono's daughter will always be the ultimate version for me, but I like how the Vertigo version starts with Edge's crunch-a-wanky guitar right off the bat.

It's been a strong song whenever it's been played.

For me it's like this:
ZooTV (Houston and Sydney are the best)
Elevation (Slane and Irving Plaza)
Vertigo (pick one)
PopMart (Mexico - it's alright, what saves it is Bono's discofalsetto towards the end of the song. It's refreshingly different.)

Chizip said:
now that i think about it i definitely preferred the Elevation version more :hmm:, the Irving Plaza version was great as well

Great call on Irving Plaza. I loved the intro on the Elevation versions. :up:

For me, this is one of those songs that's always sounded great live, so I don't really have a favorite "tour" version of it. But for one specific performance of the song, it's gotta be ZooTV Rotterdam. Bono's falsetto scream towards the end make me all goose-bumpy.

Screwtape2 said:
The ZooTV version was the best for Bono's falsetto. The ZooTv version was also the sexiest. :drool:
:up: :up:

Oh Yeah!

The Zoo TV version is impossibly sexy!!
especially when Bono sings" I'll show you places that you've never seen!" or whatever he says.
Though the combination of this and HMTMKMKM was one of the highlights of popmart.

Canadiens1160 said:
Slane Castle with Bono's daughter will always be the ultimate version for me, but I like how the Vertigo version starts with Edge's crunch-a-wanky guitar right off the bat.

I have to agree 100% wi Canadiens on this. If anything, i find the vertigo versions to be the poorest yet! the sound is not as full. Feels like a stripped down version.

Back
Top Bottom